Evenflo Embrace Recall

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Just thought everyone would like to know:

**Immediately remove all items from the selling floor
Special Instructions: Evenflo is recalling certain Embrace car seats
MANUFACTURED BEFORE APRIL 8, 2006. When used as a carrier the handle can unexpectedly release, causing the seat to rotate forward. If this
happens an infant inside can fall to the ground. UNITS BUILT ON OR AFTER
APRIL 8, 2006 HAVE BEEN MODIFIED TO STRENGTHEN THE CARRY HANDLE AND ARE NOT AFFECTED BY THIS NOTICE. This matter does not affect the use of this product in an auto. The recalled products were sold from December 2004 through Sept 2006. Model numbers beginning with
317,320,397,398,540,548,549,550,556,597,598,599 and have been
manufactured prior to April 8th 2006 should be returned. YOU MUST CHECK
THE MANUFACTURE DATES ....DO NOT JUST RETURN ALL STOCK. Date of
manufacture can be located on the 3 x 4 inch bar code label on the
carton. This date is month/day/year format ....example MR2206 indicates
a manufacture date of March 22, 2006 and therefore, such product would
be sent back. Immediately pull all stock to check dates...once dates
have been checked ...issue a debit for the ones affected and other can
go back to the selling floor. If a customer owns an affected Embrace
they should call Evenflo's toll free number 1-800-490-7497 8AM - 5PM EST
or visit www.embracehandle.com for a FREE REPAIR KIT. Evenflo will be
sending poster to all stores with information for each store to post in
dept.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Um...no offense to Evenflo (she says, pretending she's not about to SLAM them...), but didn't they figure this problem out with the Joyride like 10 years ago?!?!?! STUPID EVENFLO

KissTheCook

Funny thing, I had a Joyride (passed down from my Aunt) then bought an On My Way for baby #2. I got one of the OMW's that ended up NOT having any recalls, if I remember right... But was shocked they were recalling the newer seats for the same thing. :confused:

cpsaddict

I just knew this would happen and honsestly I am surprised they hadn't recalled the Portabout and Cozy Carry. They all have really loose handles, but the Embrace is ridiculous. It's hollow and made of very flimsy plastic. I know the Snugride is hollow, but it seems mich sturdier, ya know?

The Embrace looks nice, but other than that, it just has way to much room for error.

remken

I had an evenflo portabout that the handle fell off of when I was going to get remy out of my truck I had at the time. The lady at toys r us thought I was going to let her take it apart even more to try and fix it. I refused and got a new that after a couple of months the stupid thing didn't like to release from the base.

Splash

Sooo... the Joyride was recalled for this problem, the On My Way was recalled for this problem... didn't the Portabout have some sort of recall on it as well? They're completely retooling the Discovery to avoid a recall...

STOP MAKING INFANT SEATS!!

Evenflo makes two decent seats, the Triumph and the Big Kid. That's it. The new Triumph will likely be cool, but still. Everything else sucks. Cut your losses and move on, people!

scatterbunny

The Evenflo Chase is a fine seat, and the Bolero/Generations are really good seats. The Confidence is also a good booster. So, not all their seats are crap. But as far as infant seats go, yeah, they suck. :(

Splash

Oops, forgot about the Bolero/Generations. Yes, those are nice. The Chase... meh. And the Confidence is part of the Big Kid line, so it was technically included.

All infant seats, Titan, and Tribute (and I personally think Chase/Traditions as well) need to fall into a black hole.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Hey, those handles melt completely through if left too close to the glass of a gas fireplace.. I saw one at a yard sale the other day that was melted totally through in one spot b/c it had been pushed(by one of the teenagers) too close to the glass of the fireplace.

UGh. I hate Evenflo anyway. One of thse days they'll figure out how to make something that actually works(this from the woman who owns an Evenflo Generations).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The DOM was on the back of the Evenflo infant seats I used to have and on the bases. I think the reference to the DOM on the boxes in the recall info. posted above was to assist retailers to double check their inventories for seats affected by the recalls, KWIM? So they wouldn't have to open up the boxes to determine if a seat was recalled or not...

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The date of manufacter is on the underside of where the baby's feet would be. Underside of the front adjust (if they all had such a thing!). I can't believe it took so long to recall. I heard about the handles falling off about a year ago. I report every defect I see to NHTSA.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The date of manufacter is on the underside of where the baby's feet would be. Underside of the front adjust (if they all had such a thing!). I can't believe it took so long to recall. I heard about the handles falling off about a year ago. I report every defect I see to NHTSA.

Man... the mind boggles... (that it took so long... and can I just say a big 'thank you' for bothering to report seat issues? You're on the front lines there, and it's a huge help that you do that!)

:)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
So.......I read this, and was like "hey, isn't that the seat i just installed in my sister's car for her?" I called....of COURSE it was !!!!!! So she called for the fix-it kit. What a truly anoying seat...hers has BACK adjusters!! I didn't think they still MADE those....what a PITA!!! When I showed her what she'll have to do EVERY time she puts the kid in to adjust it...she was horrified!! (As she should be!) hhhhmmmmm...let's see...will we be considering this for lil baby's new seat? NO!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No, I don't have a number. basically I just cut and pasted the email I got, for all of you to read. It was followed by the styles we carry and my on hand counts. I just got the new recall list today, and it is not on there. I am looking into why and should have an answer tommorrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC