Question Edmonton Area - Anyone with a Radian XT?

mam521

So, my DD has now asked 2 definitive times if she can have her seat the same way as her brother (RF). She's too tall for the My Ride I bought for DS and is too heavy for the BV and I didn't even entertain a height check for it.

I can't afford to fork over $330 for a Radian at this time (mat leave pay sux!) and I can't guarantee she wouldn't get sick RF (thats why we turned her around in the first place...we had 2 covers and harnesses for Roundabout b/c of car sickness while travelling!). Does anyone in the Edmonton area have a Radian I could borrow temporarily or is for sale at a reasonable price? I don't really want to tell her no if she wants to ERF, but with there being 1 seat we can use, it sure limits our options!

TIA

ADS

mam521

Thanks anyways, Angie!

She's so close to that 40lb RF weight limit that I'd rather not do the CA. And she's getting ready to hit that stinkin' spring growth spurt that makes all her pants too damned short juuuussst a tad too early for shorts...lol! Its not a huge deal since she is 4, but regardless. And I need to check her height again...haven't for a while.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks anyways, Angie!

She's so close to that 40lb RF weight limit that I'd rather not do the CA. And she's getting ready to hit that stinkin' spring growth spurt that makes all her pants too damned short juuuussst a tad too early for shorts...lol! Its not a huge deal since she is 4, but regardless. And I need to check her height again...haven't for a while.

Just some feedback on your daughter's comment, since I went through something similar with my dd... You may find that just simply telling her "no, you're bigger and older than your little brother and this is the safe way for you to ride at your age and size" may be good enough. The last time my dd asked there was no way I would've turned her around even if I'd had a seat that she fit. I think she was 5 if I remember right... I simply told her no, that her seat was the right seat for her and that ds was younger and smaller than her and he was in the seat that was safest for him.

It's hard sometimes to remember that our kids hear us talking to our partners and/or friends about erf'ing etc etc and internalize that as thinking maybe they should still be rf'ing too if it's so important. There can of course be other factors, but I've learned with my dd to never underestimate what she understands and the degree of thought she's able to put in to something. :eek:

At your daughter's age and weight, I really think it's appropriate to just tell her that she's too big (because she is for the seats you have,) and that you have her the safest way for her age and size. And then just leave it at that. It's the truth, and I can honestly say that for a kid who is almost 4 I would never buy another erf'ing seat unless it was needed for another kid too or there were special needs involved. Just my honest opinion.

mam521

Oh yeah, its not a big deal. If I was able to borrow a Radian, I'd entertain it. I suspect she wouldn't like to be RF for long anyway hence the reason I'm exploring available loaners :).

We have 6 carseats, so I'm in no hurry to spend $330 when she's 4yo and is FF in Frontiers. Yes, DS could use it, but its absolutely not necessary at this time. At least RF is a reasonable request. Boostering is out of the question and I'm waiting for that as a next request as her dayhome friend is boostered (at 3yo and definitely NOT 40lbs).

And I totally agree - kids are smarter cookies than we often give them credit for. I think in this case, she just wants to see what her brother sees and it would be short lived.

On another note, I was at Kindergarten registration today and they actually had pamphlets on boostering kids. I was pleasantly surprised that the handout was there, stating kids should most definitely be boostered until 9yo. It was a pamphlet you'd get at the local Health Office. Slowly people are learning!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC