Question Purpose of LATCH on highback booster?

U

Unregistered

I'm searching for a booster for my 4 1/2 yr old son. I narrowed my choices to the Harmony Armor, the First Years B540 and the Ricaro Vivo - then I spotted the Sunshine Kids highback booster. IT has a LATCH system....

So the question - what is the purpose of LATCH with these highback boosters? Is it simply to seccure the chair when unoccupied? Are more of the highback boosters utilizing the LATCH? Can you use the LATCH when the chair is occupied?

Thanks for your help!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
LATCH keeps the booster from being a projectile when not in use. You leave it LATCHed all the time.

Is your 4.5 year old ready for a booster? Will he sit properly all the time in one, not lean, not fall asleep and slump? Most kids aren't ready for a full time booster at that age. Some are, but they are by far the exception rather than the rule.

Wendy

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Also how big is your ds? Our ds2 is almost 5y and has a turbo in dh truck. We bought it last summer because his husky wouldn't fit in the truck. He has only rode in it a handful of times until lately. He is 55#, 48" and in the 2nd to the top setting for the turbo.

He is getting a monterey for in my van when his Husky expires in May. I like the LATCH aspect of it, but he will be riding in the 3rd row often and the turbo doesn't work well there. It is to tippy.

Is your son longer in he legs or torso? What seat does he currently ride in and how does he fit? What car do you have?

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

lsteenwyk

My son is average on all counts - average height, average weight. 50th% on the charts.

He was in a Britax Decathalon & Marathon - now we are using those for our 13mos old daughter.

We have an Audi A4 - an older one. It is a bugger to try to get car seats to fit in that thing. The rear seats are a sporty style - not quite bucket, but scooped like a bucket. The Britax fit well in the forward facing mode.

We purchased the Harmony Dreamtime to try it out. It fits perfectly in the back seat. He fits well it it too. He doesn't slump - even when he falls asleep.

Since we moved the Britax chairs to our daughter, it seemed like the next logical move for our son was the highback. I tried sitting him in some of the five-point harness style highbacks - he squirmed, said they were uncomfortable, made him feel like a baby.... and frankly, the good ones are very expensive.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Is your daughter rf? Have you heard of extended rf?

What combo seats did you try? The top picks are the graco nautilus, britax frontier85 and evenflo meastro.

My ds2 is almost 5y, 55# and 48" and fits the nautilus nicely. His cousins have nautilus seats. We have a husky.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

U

Unregistered

Daughter is forward facing in a Britax Marathon or Britax Decathalon. I've saw the video today on rf for a longer time. I might try that with her. She's very tall and was uncomfortable rf so we switched her to ff at a year. But I'll switch her back again and see how it goes.

We haven't tried any combo seats. We were just looking at the highback boosters. I put my son in the combos at the store and he didn't like them at all.

The chairs that I mentioned - the Harmony Armor, the Ricaro and the B540 fit him well.

So - back to the question.... is it really a BIG deal to have a Latch on a highback booster? Seems that the market hasn't decided yet since some have it and some dont.

all together ooky

If you don't have LATCH on a booster then you need to make sure to buckle the seat in when it's not in use. YOu don't want it to become a projectile in an accident. Either way is safe, LATCH just makes it easier since you don't have to buckle the booster each time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC