Question Harnessed seat for 7 year old?

U

Unregistered

My 7 year old (48 inches tall, 50 lbs) currently rides in a Britax Parkway (not the SG, the older model) and he loves it. The problem is, it's expiring next month. I'm debating on whether he would be safer in a harnessed seat, or if we should just get the Parkway SG and call it a day. Is there even a harnessed seat that would truly accommodate him at this size?

I've read a lot about the Radian XTSL, and I love the idea of it (especially since once he outgrows it I can pass it down to my now 10 month old and we could potentially still have room in our back for a 3rd seat/future baby). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with older kids in FF Radians (or another harnessed seat), or if I would just be better off sticking with a booster.

Thanks in advance or any help or advice!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no data saying that a seven year old is better off harnessed provided he sits properly in a booster. I wouldn't buy a harnessed seat for a seven year old unless he couldn't sit still. The Frontier 85 would likely accommodate him. Depending on his torso height the Graco Nautilus may still. The Radian probably would not.

There are other boosters besides the Parkway SG, but if that's the one you like, go for it. I'd also recommend the Sunshine Kids Monterey, Recaro ProBooster, Graco Turbobooster, and Clek Oobr.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much, Wendy!

If I might ask another question, are there any specific boosters that are similar, size wise, to the Radian? My main issue would be space, I'd like to have enough room in the backseat for a third seat for friends' kids (plus we want more kids, but would prefer not to upsize our vehicle unless absolutely necessary). I did look into the Monterey originally but if I recall it is larger than the Parkway(?)...I know it might seem like an inch or two wouldn't make a huge difference, but man it does!

I'd really like for the seat that we purchase this time to be "it", and carry him until he no longer needs a booster...so I'm trying my best to get an idea of what seats might work. I really appreciate the help!

#1babysitter

There are some harnessed seats that he could fit in but like Wendy said, if he rides properly in a HB booster than there's no need to buy a harnessed seat. It really depends on his torso height if you want to harness again. I babysit two 8 yo boys who are harnessed/boostered. One is in the Frontier 80 and one in a Monterey. I am leaning towards harnessing the other again since both boys are HORRIBLE booster riders and cannot sit still or ride properly. Both boys are 52" tall and have 17.5" and 17" torsos. In the Frontier 80 they have about an inch-inch and a half of growing room and in the Nautilus about the same. In the Frontier 85 they have even more growing room with the 20" harness height. I highly doubt your son would fit in a Radian. Personally, I love the Monterey but it is wide and would never fit in a 3 across. At least for me. I also have the Turbo Elite and it is very nice. I love that the head wings can be adjusted but I do not like that it doesn't "hug" the child compared to the Monterey. But it works well in a 3 across for me and is narrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC