08 MDX or 09 Pilot

kszal

Does anyone own either of these SUVs? We are looking for:

- suv w/ 3rd row seat but not huge (eg not suburban size)
- 3 car seats can fit in back
- 3rd row seat good for kids, OK for adults.

My husband doesn't like the volvo suv or the highlander, and I don't like american cars based on past quality issues, but if anyone has other suggestions, would love to hear!

thanks.

ADS

jeno

Senior Community Member
I have the MDX and my friend has the Pilot.

I think there is a significant size difference so I think only you can decide which is right for you.

We're expecting #3 and 3 across is not an issue for us and our current needs. The MDX is very roomy, but the Pilot even more so.

Not sure what current gas mileage is on these, but the Acura does require premium fuel vs. the Honda being regular.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't think you will find much justification for domestic brands having current quality issues. Even if you look at Consumer Reports and trust their self-sampling methods, you still find they exaggerate very small differences that amount to perhaps a few problems differentiating above-average models from below-average models over a period of 7 years. Plus, those problems are consumer reported with no indication of cost or severity.

Anyway, even CR likes the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave and they are bigger than most midsize car-based SUVs and have done pretty well in both the IIHS and the new NHTSA crash test ratings. If you don't like the Volvo or Toyota, what about the Acura MDX (or similar 8-passenger Pilot)? They have also done well on crash test ratings. On the larger side of car-based midsize SUVs is the Ford Flex and with the new EcoBoost engine it gets a little better mileage than the truck-based full size SUVs. On the smaller side is the Kia Sorrento. Both have top IIHS safety ratings and the Sorrento has decent NHTSA ratings while the Flex is not yet rated in the new NHTSA testing.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Doh sorry didn't see the title lol! Can't go wrong with either one. If you want 8-passenger go Pilot, more upscale go MDX:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC