Graco SMart Seat- pic heavy

NannyMom

Someone loaned me a GSS. So, I got to play. Sofi hates it. I'm not a huge fan. I DO like how easy it is to go from RF to FF mode.

Sofi RF on the 5th recline. Too upright according to the bubble. But oh how I wish this could be used.
RF5thRecline.jpg

Sofi RF in the 2nd recline
RF2ndRecline.jpg

Bubble for 2nd recline
Bubble2ndRecline.jpg

Sofi RF in the 1st recline
RF1stRecline.jpg

Bubble for 1st recline
Bubble1stRecline.jpg

RF height room. She has 1.5-1.75 inches above her head. I think in the My Ride she had at least 2 inches.
SofiRFHeightroom.jpg

Sofi forward facing
SofiFF.jpg

Sofi on the 4th slot. You can see the headrest looks good here, but the harness is below her shoulders
FF4thSlot.jpg

Close up of the harness, just barely below her shoulders on the 4th slot
FF4thSlot2.jpg

Sofi on the 5th slot, where she needs to use it
FF5thSlot.jpg

Sofi in booster mode, 5th slot
SofiBooster5.jpg

Amanda just turned 4 years and weighs 40 pounds. She's 41 inches, about the same torso height as Sofi.
Booster mode on the 5th slot. The lap belt was actually placed well, it's hard to tell in the pics.
AmandaBooster5.jpg

Amanda on the top (6th) slot to show growing room.
AmandaBoosterTop.jpg

To show overall height, next to the Complete Air
CAvsGSS.jpg

To show overall height, next to the Nautilus
GNvsGSS.jpg

locking mechanism in next post.

ADS

NannyMom

Here is 1 of the 4 metal bars on the seat. It is out, in the locked position.
Lock1.jpg

Here is that same metal bar, in the unlocked position. It's pulled into the seat shell.
Lock2.jpg

This picture shows 2 of the 4 metal bars.
Lock3.jpg

This shows 2 of the 4 guides that the metal bars go into. The guide is so long, so it can change recline without being taken off the base.
Lock5.jpg

This is 1 of the 2 lock knobs. There is 1 on each side of teh seat, and the must be pushed in and turned at the same time to unlock. You can't see it in the pic, but there is a pic of an open lock, and a closed lock so you know which way to turn.
Lock4.jpg

Here is a lock flag in the unlocked position. When the knobs are turned, the flag pops up (or down).
LockFlag2.jpg

LockFlag3.jpg

Here is a lock flag in the locked position.
LockFlag1.jpg

LockFlag4.jpg

This is just to show the beltpath. It is incompatible with latch in the center seat of my 8 passenger 2008 Sienna. The latch just can't get tight enough.
LATCHIncompatible.jpg

NannyMom

Not the OP here, but no, there's no gap. The padding actually unsnaps and becomes long enough to cover the entire seat, it just wasn't unsnapped in that photo.

:yeahthat: I forgot to unfold it in some pics. It folds so it's not too long for the lowest slot.

Kat_Momof3

I'm really angry at Dorel these days... but SIGH... this just makes me more in love with the Complete Air (DANG YOU DOREL... can't you improve yourselves so we can just judge you buy this seat?)

and when we were discussing the headrest before... you see what I mean about the Nauti being better with the slots being near the headrest?

I love the Nauti...

I'm just not loving the ss... I like it... just think it needs some tweaking.

Mama Jo

I can see how this would be ideal for someone who needs something for a variety of kids - foster parents, daycare providers, nannies, grandparents... But I'm having trouble loving it, myself. I did play with it a little at BRU the other day, and it just didn't wow me.

you know.. I am actually not a fan either, I played with it at BRU and was not that excited by it.. this was a few weeks back.. It is a great idea.. but I don't like how reclined it was.. I guess it just isn't the seat for us

NannyMom

I had a 6 year old in it today. She seems to have as much growing room as she does in the Complete Air (she's outgrown the EFTA). She liked it. She can buckle herself- even the crotch buckle that I have a hard time with.

I still don't like how much it moves when a child climbs in and out.

Cryssy Jane

I can see how this would be ideal for someone who needs something for a variety of kids - foster parents, daycare providers, nannies, grandparents... But I'm having trouble loving it, myself. I did play with it a little at BRU the other day, and it just didn't wow me.

Yeah, I'm a daycare provider and I'm having a hard time with the idea of loving it as well. My verdict is still out.

NannyMom

More info. Sorry, no pics because I didn't obtain permission to post their pics.

Yesterday, I sat a 8 year old (80ish pounds) child in it. And a 6 year old (42-44 pounds) in it in booster mode. The 6 year old liked it. The 8 year old did not. But I think her issue was she's not used to a HBB. She's been riding in a backless for years now. She said it was too confining (as she said about the Turbo booster I had her sit in too). She was right *at* the height limit for both the GSS and the Tubro boosters. The 6 year old was on the 5th booster height in the GSS, even though she needed the 6th harness slot.

Sofi was riding in it fine today. A half hour into the ride she started complaing she wasn't comfy. I looked and she seemed to be sitting weird. The angle of the seat (most upright, FF) let her body curve in recline, but then the headrest pushed her head forward a little. So even to me it looked uncomfortable. Maybe that's been her issue?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC