Safety of a TRUCK with a 4.9 year old in front

K

kgpmom

Hi -
I'm a VERY CONCERNED/WORRIED mother of a 4.9 year old.
Her father has just informed me that he has purchased a Toyota Tundra Truck (the one that has just the front seat)- which means that my daughter will be in a Front seat position.
He has tried to make me feel that this is a Safe vehicle for her to be in and that the Airbag will be shut off - BUT I always thought it was illegal for a child under a certain age to ride in the front.
I know that Toyota trucks are built well.
If there's anyone out there that can write and relieve some of my concerns - I'd REALLY appreciate it.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, kids are at much higher risk in the front seat of any vehicle. The best thing you can do is to always make sure they are properly restrained and move the seat all the way back (if adjustable). Turning the airbag off is also usually a good idea, and is necessary for rear-facing child seat.

As for legal issues, that depends on your state. I suspect almost all states would allow kids to ride in front, especially in vehicles with one row of seating.

U

Unregistered

Kids can ride in the front sea of a pick up truck.

PLEASE make sure they are belted & DEFINATLY make sure the airbag is turned off.

Airbag would hit a small child (or small young adult) directly in the face.

My SMALL 15 year old daughter was a belted passenger in a very minor accident. (less than 12 MPH) The airbags deployed & she now will suffer the rest of her life with epilepsy. Tramatic closed head brain injury often does this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC