cars or suv's with a third row

Paperdragon

Hi,

We are looking for a car or suv with a third row, either fold up or not. The smaller, the better. We need extra seating for carpool guests, but not for everyday use. Thanks!!!:question:

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
A lot of the smaller SUVs now have optional 3rd rows, most of which fold down out of sight when not in use. "Crossover" vehicles would be the other option. Wagons with a 3rd row seem to be the exception, rather than the rule these days, and of course, sedans only have 2 rows of seating.

lovemyfamily

I drive a Yukon XL, which is the GMC version of the Suburban. So I am no help in recommending a smaller SUV to you, with a 3rd row, from personal experience. However, I do know 2 people who have the Dodge Durango and LOVE it.
There are 2 issues I see with a lot of the smaller SUVs with a 3rd row. First is the 3rd row seat is not a full size seat. Even in my XL, it is not as wide as the middle row seat, while it has 3 seatbelts, it has to be more narrow as it is above the wheel wells. Second issue is the amount of space behind the 3rd row and the back of the car. We first looked the Mercedes SUV, drove like a sportscar but the 3rd row was SO close to the back of the vehicle. If we got rear-ended, I was worried the 3rd row passengers could be severly injured. So while people don't always want the space in the back for cargo, I do like that I have 2 feet of room in the back of my SUV between the 3rd row of seats and the back bumper, when/if someone decides to cram me from behind.

ajweeks

Does anyone know the safety of newer crossovers and other smaller cars with a 3rd row? I know that serious rear end collisions are more rare, but in the event of one, would these seats be safe for a child? What about vehicles like the Mazada5, Kia Rondo and the short wheel base Sedona?

twokidstwodogs

The Sedona has excellent rear crash test ratings from the IIHS, though I don't know which wheelbase they tested. I don't think the IIHS has tested the Mazda 5 yet. I wish they would! The original poster should look into it, as it might suit her needs very well. THere are European test results floating around for it, but I don't know if it includes a rear test.

southpawboston

The Sedona has excellent rear crash test ratings from the IIHS, though I don't know which wheelbase they tested. I don't think the IIHS has tested the Mazda 5 yet. I wish they would! The original poster should look into it, as it might suit her needs very well. THere are European test results floating around for it, but I don't know if it includes a rear test.

nope, the euroNCAP tests do not include rear end crashes.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Some great crossovers with cargo area behind the 3rd row would be the Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave or the Ford Freestyle. Both have fold flat 3rd rows to allow for more cargo. Both got 5 star on front & side impact from NHTSA. IIHS hasn't done testing on the GM crossovers as it's a brand new model. The Ford Freestyle got Good (which is the highest rating) on both by IIHS.

amy919

I have a Freestyle and am very happy with it. The 3rd row seats are actually useable for adults and car seats and there's a good amount of cargo space between the 3rd row, especially because its got a deep well space.

I highly recommend it. It drives like a car, but I still has the SUV feel to it.
The seats are super easy to fold out flat and that definitely comes in handy for me!

Amy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The current Toyota Highlander is a very reasonable midsize SUV with an optional 3rd row. The new 2008 models looks even nicer, though of course there won't be any crash testing results on it for some time.

I think you will find that adults will be pretty uncomfortable in the third row of most small or midsize SUVs, and access to that 3rd row isn't always easy. Of course, more room for third row passengers means a bigger vehicle. For a little more room in back, the Ford Freestyle and Honda Pilot are safe choices, but they are also bigger.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Some great crossovers with cargo area behind the 3rd row would be the Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave or the Ford Freestyle.

I'm very impressed by the Outlook so far. I think it's one of the best offerings from GM in a long time and it looks sharp, too. Stability control and side curtain airbags standard. Hopefully, the rest of the crash test results will be good and will be available soon. I haven't seen the inside of one, but it looks to be about the same size as a Freestyle so definitely among the larger midsize models.

Now if only you could get an Outlook, Freestyle or Pilot in a full hybrid version...

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I'm very impressed by the Outlook so far. I think it's one of the best offerings from GM in a long time and it looks sharp, too. Stability control and side curtain airbags standard. Hopefully, the rest of the crash test results will be good and will be available soon. I haven't seen the inside of one, but it looks to be about the same size as a Freestyle so definitely among the larger midsize models.

Now if only you could get an Outlook, Freestyle or Pilot in a full hybrid version...

I was very impressed with the Acadia (the GMC verison of the Outlook) that we had for 5 days. Gas mileage on it was impressive for the type of vehicle it is. Gets the same as the Ody & Sienna. It ride is super smooth and it was fun to drive too.

I wish they would come out with a hybrid as I would be all over it. :thumbsup:

My old issue with the Pilot (well besides it being a Honda) is it's just plain boring looking. My friend has one and I was so unimpressed with how rough it road. It road just as rough as my Tahoe and it's a lot smaller then my truck.

Loves2sing

I am definatley wanting a Mitsibishi Outlander. They are fabulous, and the 2007 model now has a 3rd row seat. They are small SUVs and they look awesome. I want one so bad I can taste it!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/Home/Home.aspx?popup=0&lng=2&gclid=CLqzw8PJ9YsCFQL2ggodTEIqbQ

It is so cool in person, and it looks like it will be so fun to drive. It has paddle shifters, and it is on the lower end of the price points. This is what I want to buy before we have baby #2.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC