Can you Compare the Radian65 and the MA for me?

Ok, I know, DH just bought an Apex last weekend, but you know, the seat shopping never ends!!! I'm still hankering for a ... not sure ... so here's what I'm tossing between:

The Radian65 and the Britax Marathon

(I've also considered the FPSVD)

Any comparisons you'd like to offer? I have skinny, light-weight, sorta tall, sorta long torsoed kids.

ADS
Actually my sorta-plan was this: Get another seat for Lex that maybe she could RF in (she's only 30-31lbs, but too tall to RF in Scenera) and let Bradon use the Apex. He actually could be harnessed in it for a little while, he had about 1/2-3/4" of room to the top slot...then when he outgrows the Apex, give it back to Lex, and move Haylee to whatever I had bought Lex and the baby to the Scenera.

I obviously have thought about this way too much!!! I also thought about just getting a new seat for Haylee. Either way, it'd be for one of the girls. And most likely won't happen, but I can dream, can't I? ;)

Last edited:

all together ooky

Well, I prefer the MA over the Radian because it's so much easier to install.
The Radian is nice because it has a low profile so it's easier for them to climb into. But, the low profile can make installs a PITA!
Also, the Radian takes up a lot more room when RF. With the MA you can make it more upright when RF. It does have a taller back than the MA (I think) so you could get more use out the RF for your tall skinny gal. If you can get a good install, the Radian is a nice seat-it's heavy (nothing flimsy about it) and has the nice LATCH connectors like the Britax. It looks more "grown-up" too.
The FPSVD is the same as the MA, but doesn't have the built in lock-offs and can't be RF tethered. Oh, and it goes to 55lbs FF-not a big deal for most people since it's usually outgrown by height.

I seriously can't make up my mind...not that it matters b/c I can't buy one right now anyways...but...if they were all the same price I think I'd get the MA b/c I really want a Britax...everyone seems to really like them, but they're not and $$ is an issue to DH. The FPSVD was the one I had kind of settled on before DH bought the Apex, but since I got to dream again I was wondering if maybe I'd want a Radian instead, and since I was dreaming, of course the Britax came back into the pic!!!

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I think that the RN gives a little bit more room for torso height because of the way it sits. I find the MA much easier to install and much easier to tighten the harness. DS complains about the straps in the Radian more than in the MA.

I also have the FPSVD and really like it too. If you're moving it around a lot, I think that the MA is slightly easier to install (easier to adjust the base, nicer LATCH connectors) and the covers are a little nicer. It's a good option though.
Would you be using the seat RF? I like the MA the most for that. If it's FF, it's a little bit more of a toss up, IMO.
You can't really go wrong with any of them, though (as long as you can get a decent install).

I don't have LATCH and haven't been lacking so far. Of course I'm one of those nuts whose bum is hanging out the door of my van while I'm jumping up and down in the seat with my knee and tugging on the seat belt for that last click!!! I think I do like the fpsvd, I just heard a lot of good things about the radian, too and thought maybe that'd be better for us.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
If you can try the Radian before buying, it's definitely a good option. I don't have LATCH in my car either. In the lap belt spot, I could not install the Radian. With a l/s belt, it was ok.
It's installed with the belt in my mom's car right now (I got a better install than with the LATCH).
My son has a little more growing room in the RN than the MA/FPSVD.

Van is a 99 olds. That I would like to trade in for one of those 07 suburbans with the fuel saving deal that allows them to get 27mpg on the highway!!! (But I don't have an extra $45k laying around!

And yeah, I will probably wait, unless DH gets tired of listening to me talk and lets me get a FPSVD!!!

What I really need (haha) is someone near me (again, haha, I live in the middle of nowhere, eastern oregon) to need to get rid of a fairly new MA for cheap. (again, haha). There, was that enough haha's for one post?

twokidstwodogs

The Radian definitely has higher harness slots than the MA. I had my daughter sit in one when she outgrew her MA and she still had a good inch or more before her shoulders were even with the top slots. The harness straps are set more closely together than on the MA, which she did not like. I don't think other kids are bothered by it, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC