Graco Nautilus Installation Help

mela27

Hi we have a Hyundai Tuscon and my DH is having an issue installing the GN trying to get it tight. The seat is not firm in behind the drivers' seat. We are using the shoulder belt to secure the seat. We've looked at videos and still gives us nothing.......hoping someone can help ---not feeling great about it as I've read that its an easy to install seat :(Thank you

ADS

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Hi....we have our Naultilus installed by lap/shoulder belt in our 2005 Tucson. What I do is to feed it through the belt path and then kneel on the seat pulling out the slack of the shoulder belt. I lift the cover up near the seats back to help get the angle of the pull more accurate. If it is still not snug enough(less than 1" movement side to side) I undo the belt(not letting the seat belt retract at all) and then twist the female part of the seat belt one full twist and rebuckle. You need to keep your weight on the seat to buckle it again.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just a quick question - are you making sure to lock the seatbelt? The seatbelt will need to be pulled all the way out in order to switch it to locking mode and it will need to be done every time the seat is installed. :thumbsup:

mommycat

Sounds like Mingie is saying that it's a LW-locking latchplate? In which case pulling out the belt won't lock it, it locks at the latchplate. Maybe someone can clarify this. What year is your Tucson?

I definitely agree about putting some of your weight in the seat and especially about pulling back the cover (where it wraps around a pointy edge on the side shell above the armrest) and pulling the shoulder belt tight through the beltpath. Much better angle for tightening.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Sounds like Mingie is saying that it's a LW-locking latchplate? In which case pulling out the belt won't lock it, it locks at the latchplate. Maybe someone can clarify this. What year is your Tucson?

I definitely agree about putting some of your weight in the seat and especially about pulling back the cover (where it wraps around a pointy edge on the side shell above the armrest) and pulling the shoulder belt tight through the beltpath. Much better angle for tightening.

Hyundai definitely has a switchable retractor. I think what she's talking about is twisting the buckle stalk down once in order to make the belt a bit tighter when it's buckled. The other way to do this is to unbuckle, allow a smidge of seatbelt back in to the retractor, and then re-buckle. This would actually be my preferred route - I wouldn't twist a buckle if it wasn't needed for a tight install - and if it's needed then I'd start out with it twisted. :)

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Hyundai definitely has a switchable retractor. I think what she's talking about is twisting the buckle stalk down once in order to make the belt a bit tighter when it's buckled. The other way to do this is to unbuckle, allow a smidge of seatbelt back in to the retractor, and then re-buckle. This would actually be my preferred route - I wouldn't twist a buckle if it wasn't needed for a tight install - and if it's needed then I'd start out with it twisted. :)

Yes, sorry for the confusion! It is a switchable retractor. I do find it tough to get really snug without a little help. The seats also recline very easily so that would definitely work if it is preferable. I forget why I ended up twisting the buckle though. I will have to go out when my dh gets home to see why I did do this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC