Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: graco smartseat

graco smartseat

So I went to work at BRU tonight and there it was on the endcap. One black/grey and one a pretty girly color. Damn that seat is heavy! I mean it is worse then the frontier I swear. Could someone please link me to any threads discussing this seat. I am tired and dont have the energy to search. The back of the seat said that it expired in 10 years. The harness can really be used for 10 years?
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...22 and driving! Skylar- 17yrs-and also driving! Molly-14 yrs -70+ pounds passing the 5 step test and Avery -10 yrs - 55+ pounds, riding in a redd performance sport booster.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: graco smartseat

I was going to link, but just do this. Scroll down in this thread, and read the threads at the bottom of the page.

4. Thank You from:

any reviews on how it performs as a booster?
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...22 and driving! Skylar- 17yrs-and also driving! Molly-14 yrs -70+ pounds passing the 5 step test and Avery -10 yrs - 55+ pounds, riding in a redd performance sport booster.

Not that I have seen.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

The booster fit Piper fairly well in the car. There were too many tags attached to the seat for me to say definitely. Plus, Piper was cranky by then. But she was able to get it buckled. She said the headrest pushed her head forward and preferred her Nautilus, but she liked it. The depth wasn't bad, the shoulder belt fit was fine, the lap belt fit looked good (but the tag was pulling the lap belt). The armrests go up, so it's not so impossible for kids to buckle it themselves.

Yes, it's really good for ten years. The whole seat.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

8. Thank You from:

How wide is the seat? How wonderful this seat has a huge lifespan!
    Evan- 4 years 39 lbs, 40 inches in a Prosport
    Alia-6 years 50 lbs, 53 inches in a Radian &
    Cooper-5 Years 45 lbs, 48 inches in a Prosport

About two parsecs. Seriously, it's a wide seat. At least 21", if not a bit wider.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I saw ours stocked above the swings yesterday and stood there slack jawed for 2 minutes wishing I could pull it down and play with it But the endcap isn't due to be changed for another couple days and there's literally nowhere for it to go on the shelf

(Ok, that's not useful at ALL, I just had to share my dismay that I could only see the box, lol.... just follow Judi's advice to read the linked threads, there are a good half-dozen, there's even a great youtube video).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    I saw ours stocked above the swings yesterday and stood there slack jawed for 2 minutes wishing I could pull it down and play with it ).
    seriously, let some 6' 250 lb guy get it down for you. Maybe because its all compact or something but it really felt like I was picking up a huge block of cement. Which leaves me worried about that heavy of a seat with a larger child all dependent upon a base to keep them from flying out the front window. I have no opinion on this seat yet exept that its 1)heavy) and 2) doesnt look like it would fit a newborn.

I saw a 10 pound baby who wears 0-3 month clothes fit just fine this week. The straps were below his shoulders and the harness got snug. I have a picture, let me double check that I can post it.

It won't fit preemies or small newborns, but your average to big torso should be just fine. My kids would have fit at birth (9" torsos).

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Ok, here's Chely's T3 wearing a 0-3 month sleeper. The straps were below his shoulders, and he dug the pink.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

That's my baby!! If this seat would fit in our car I would SO be buying it!!!

Rachel, mom to an army of Ts

that infant padding looks nice and thick... seems it helps newborns fit really well.. I'm pleasantly surprised!

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

cute baby Chely!
    Austin 06/30/08 Tucker 07/30/2010 Elias 11/09/2011
    Brody 03/30/2013 ^Jamie^ 04/01/2015
    Rainbow coming February 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    cute baby Chely!
    Thanks! I think so too... most of the time

Chely, did you find that pushed his head forward enough to touch his chin to chest? Looking at pic, it looked like the headrest pushed his head forward.. That's my concern with newbies since if its enough to touch chin to chest, their airway will be obscured.
    Tiffany, Mama to my lil ladybug, Kianna, 11/10/13, riding in a Graco 4Ever and Cosco NEXT, TTC#2 who will get either Graco 4Ever or Britax B-Safe35.
    All ride safe in 2015 Chevrolet Trax

Quote Originally Posted by faithfulorangekids View Post
    Chely, did you find that pushed his head forward enough to touch his chin to chest? Looking at pic, it looked like the headrest pushed his head forward.. That's my concern with newbies since if its enough to touch chin to chest, their airway will be obscured.
    LOL Me and Wendy realized after we took this pic that it was on the most reclined FF setting... it is WAY more reclined in the RF position and there was no issue with his head being pushed forward then

Carseat Crazy

So what's the verdict; does that headrest put their head too foward, in either position? I'd really like to get this (only because I can't install seats RF to my liking). With the base, I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by livsmum View Post
    So what's the verdict; does that headrest put their head too foward, in either position? I'd really like to get this (only because I can't install seats RF to my liking). With the base, I wouldn't have to worry about it.
    RF it doesn't push their head to far forward, I really like the head rest RF. I know Wendy's daughter (8 years old) said the head rest was a little pushy FF but not awful.

Its been out about a week now and we have sold one. lol I am not sure how I feel about the seat. Something in me says a huge heavy seat with a heavy child in it ....on a base....just doesnt mesh.