Question 2011 Hyundai Sonata

U

Unregistered

Hi everyone! I'm expecting a baby in September (yes, I just found out LOL!!) and am already stressing about my car. We have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that is on lease, we just got it in May so there is no trading it in. Dh has an 07 Toyota Camry, but I'm not as worried because we so rarely drive his car and if we HAD to go somewhere we would just use my car. (and I HATE his car, so me using it as a primary is not an option)

So here's what we have going on so far:

Ds is 8.5 years old, 78lbs not sure of height, and is in seatbelt only. Seatbelt fits him properly in my car without a booster, in dh's car he's in a backless turbo booster.

Dd is 4 years old, 35-36lbs LONG legs not sure of height. I have her FF'ing in a britax boulevard and we have a fisher price safe voyage deluxe in dh's car. She's a long way off from needing the top slot in the FPSVD and has plenty of room in the Boulevard, and she's probably never going to outgrow by weight before they expire - they were both manufactured 2007 so they're good til 2013 (right?)

Just looking at the space between ds and dd now, I can't even begin to imagine fitting a seat there!! I know it can be done though. I can NOT have something squishing the passenger seat far up to the dash, as dh is fairly tall. I'm pretty short so there's a fair amount of space behind driver. I really need a baby bucket seat, and would love to get a high limit bucket seat that will get us to almost 2 years old and get a spare base for dh's car. A bucket that can have the handle stay up while in the car would be great. Also we have a Britax Preview stroller that ideally I'd like to use w/ the infant seat, though that's not a deal breaker if a bucket won't fit.

I'm looking at the Safety 1st Onboard, Britax Chaperone, Chicco Keyfit and the Baby Trend Flex Loc... they all look fairly narrow. Budget isn't really a concern, as long as we can get some good use out of it.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd probably get your four year old a Sunshine Kids Radian, double check that your eight year old passes the five step test completely (http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm, plus the sixth step of his feet reaching the floor) and get a booster if necessary (do you have the screws in the armrests of the Turbo in the Camry)? Then for the baby, I'd look at the Safety 1st onBoard 35 first. It's got a rectangular base, no flaring, and is the tallest infant seat out there. Of the ones you listed, the Baby Trend needs the handle down, and so doesn't meet your criteria. The Chicco Keyfit would be the other one that I'd go for. Try to put the baby behind you, your 8.5 year old in the middle, then your 4 year old on the other side. Install all carseats with the seatbelt and pull them toward the doors a bit to give a hair more room in the middle.

When the infant seat is outgrown (weight limit or less than 1" of hard shell above the head. The Keyfit will get the average child to 12-15 months, the onBoard 15-18 months or more) move your baby to the Radian rear facing, get your then 5.5 or 6 year old a booster, and your then 10 year old can move to the seatbelt alone. That should then fit three across the back.

Wendy

MommaTo3inNH

(op here!)

Thanks Wendy!! Will any buckets work with dd's current seat andeabe ropm for ds? He is not chunky, but solid, which is where his weight hides! IF I decided to get the baby a convertible from the get-go, what do you think would work with dd's boulevard (or the fpsvd)? I'd really like to use dd's seat to the end of it's life, or as close as possible.

Ds is 6-step ready for no booster, and yes we have the screws in the arms of the tb. :0) I used to be a tech, 6 years ago. Haven't done anything in years but keep up with new stuff :0)

Thanks for your advice. It's really hard to get to the stores and try different seats. NH residents, for the most part - not all - seem to go by the "cheapest is best, 20lbs turn 'em, 30lbs booster 'em" motto, so the stores carry what sells.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think you're going to have a lot of luck getting an infant seat with the handle up next to a big Britax, or have room between them for another person. The handle will hit the Britax where it flares, or whoever is between them will be squished at that point. However, it's easy to check by ordering one of the infant seats and seeing how it fits, and then buying a Radian if necessary.

For a convertible from birth a Radian or Coccoro would be my suggestion. Again, I don't know if they'll fit right next (the Radian should), but they'll give you the most hope for a three across.

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'm not sure if a Sonata is bigger or smaller than a Camry because I haven't seen one in a long time, but I had a Camry come through yesterday. I put a ffing Marathon (same shell as both your seats) in the center with a grace Snugride22 behind the driver. There was room behind the passenger for an average size mom.

MommaTo3inNH

Thanks Wendy! I'm going to keep those seats in mind if I strike out with the bucket!

I'm not sure if a Sonata is bigger or smaller than a Camry because I haven't seen one in a long time, but I had a Camry come through yesterday. I put a ffing Marathon (same shell as both your seats) in the center with a grace Snugride22 behind the driver. There was room behind the passenger for an average size mom.

Kimberly - My dh's 07 Camry backseat is a little smaller than mine, just by eyeballing it... I've never measured. I would definitely get a 22 snugride if it meant I could keep dd's seat, and then visit the sunshine/corocco later on. How does the snugride compare to the keyfit/onboard seats? Did you do the install with or without the base? How was the marathon installed (must have been seatbelt, no? is there latch in the middle?)

I'm so unprepared for this, and it doesn't help that I'm a total stresser-outer. We have a loooong time to prepare but I'd like to get this mess figured out so I can stop worrying.

Thanks again ladies.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
You are going to have a tough time getting 3 across with ANY infant seat - it might not even be possible, i'm not sure. There is a great tech here who has a 2011 Sonata, I'll PM her, and have her come look at the thread, I'm sure she can help you. I have a slightly older version of the car, and it's really hard for 3-acrosses because of the way the outboard seats flare inward..it cuts off a TON of potential seating width. I've had great success using a rearfacing titan convertible in the middle though, for newborns and toddlers, because it has a base that is only 11 inches wide, which is i believe the narrowest there is.

MommaTo3inNH

Just to clarify my ds is in a seatbelt only in my car. I said 3-across but really just meant 3 kids back there :) Need FF seat for dd (have a boulevard and fpsvd available) and rf for newborn, bucket much preferred over a convertible but if absolutely necessary will do convertible.

Thanks for referring her to my thread!

:)

BeckC

Hi.

I have a 2011 Sonata. Three across is not easy, but doable with the right seats. You'll need at least one Radian.

Let me go over the posts and see what I can come up with for ideas.

MommaTo3inNH

Thanks Beck! I looked at my backseat closer just a little while ago and damn that flare on the sides of the seat bottom! That's like 8" lost!!

I guess if a radian has to come into play it would be FF for dd and I could rf the blvd behind the driver... Ds could be behind the passenger in seatbelt. His little bum can ride the flare part!

Just thinking out loud... Will look for your ideas later on !

:0)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My husband has an 09 Elantra...so the smaller model. He likes his seat pretty far back. When we got his car, our son was could still fit in the Chicco KeyFit22. I was able to put it in the center and still sit next to him. I'm a short plus size.

Currently he is behind the passenger in a Graco MyRide.

Since your hubby likes the seat moved back, I'd put the FF carseat driver side, big kid in the middle and baby behind the passenger.

That said---I'd only put your 8 yr old center without a booster...IF he passed the 5 step test. Have you checked to see if he does? Most 8 yr olds don't, even though most laws stop there.

Susan

MommaTo3inNH

Thanks Susan, that puts my mind at ease a bit... I am also short plus sized, and I know if I can fit somewhere my son's tiny butt can LOL! My son passes the 5 step test, he's an inch or two away from feet being on the floor of the car when he's sitting properly in the seat - but honestly I don't count that for anything because I'm so short that if I am sitting properly in a seat MY feet don't touch the floor :0)

Hubby doesn't drive the car in question, I do and since I'm shorter I assume the baby would go behind me, right? RF seat/baby bucket takes up a lot more room than a FF seat.

My bff has a newborn and 2 older kids, and has a graco snugride (the 22lb one) an evenflo triumph, a radian and a nautilus so I may go over there one night when her hubby is home and fool around with seats.

Hubby says to just let it go for a bit, not worry about it, but I'd rather figure it out now while I'm not showing and have the agility to maneuver around in the car and lug car seats back and forth from bff's garage and the stores LOL!

Thanks again :0)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Sounds like a flip flop of the RF/FF kids should work. Also...with the oldest child sitting in the center, that little bump should allow his feet to rest on the floor.

The reason we say feet flat on the floor is so kids don't slouch. When they slouch the lap belt can ride up onto the soft tummies...putting them at great risk for MAJOR internal injuries. (pardon my run-on)

The MyRide does barely touch the front seat when it's on passenger side in the elantra...but not so much that my airbag is turned off. If it does touch a lot, my airbag OFF light comes on...not cool.

Susan

MommaTo3inNH

Susan - that makes sense, about the slouching... For now I'm going to put a couple of phone books on the floor ( I knew I was saving those otherwise useless things for a reason lol!)

So the myride allows touching the seat back in front of it? What about the radian and boulevard/fpsvd?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Britax and Sunshine Kids allow touching the front seatbacks if the vehicle manufacturer allows it, and I believe Graco does, too. Some vehicles equipped with advanced front airbags do not allow it, though, and a 2011 Sonata definitely has advanced airbags (nice car by the way, my BIL has one and I was just admiring the hybrid version at the auto show over the weekend :)). You need to check to see if there's any warning against touching the front seatbacks in your Sonata's owner's manual, focusing particularly on the airbag and child restraint sections of the owner's manual.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The Elantra doesn't not allow bracing....rear passengers shouldn't even put their legs up on the back of the seat.

When I say touching....I mean just that....and bearly. The MyRide isn't shoved up against the back of my seat.

Susan

MommaTo3inNH

Jean and Susan, I will definitely have to check out the car manual. I can't even tell you if the middle has latch, if I can use one latch hook from either side for a middle seat, if there's latch limits or anything about the air bags restrictions... Baby #3 is a huge surprise to say the least (we're thrilled though!!) so I never gave a thought to anything child safety related other than the car has awesome safety ratings, and that dd's boulevard fits, and ds's booster would fit if he needed it.

eta: I just looked through my manual... Latch is to be used outboard positions only, and Hyundai goes by the seat manufacturer for latch limits, Britax says 40lbs. I also need to talk to my dd about keeping her feet off my seatback :) She doesn't kick, just rests, but it's not safe and I never even gave it a second thought. Thanks for the nudge to read the manual :)

Jean, I love my car... until I got pregnant I called it my third baby! It is, by far, the best vehicle I've ever driven. It gets awesome mileage - I don't have the hybrid, but it has this cool function called Eco (I'm so untechnical it isn't even funny lol) and when it runs on Eco it's using 2 cylinders instead of 6 so saving tons of gas. I get 350-400 miles to a full tank, just over 400 if I do some highway driving (family lives down in MA) ... I can't say enough good things about it. :)

Last edited:

BeckC

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. So you're planning a Radian FF in the middle, with a RF blvd next to it? The middle Radian FF is a bit of a pita because of that little hump, but doable. You'll need some Radian tricks.

As for LATCH and air bags... There is no LATCH for the middle rear seat. I don't see anything in my manual about LATCH limits, so you would have to call Hyundai, or go with the conservative 40lb limit.

You may not brace against or touch the front passenger seat because of the advanced airbags. I don't know about the drivers seat, the manual is unclear.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. So you're planning a Radian FF in the middle, with a RF blvd next to it? The middle Radian FF is a bit of a pita because of that little hump, but doable. You'll need some Radian tricks.

As for LATCH and air bags... There is no LATCH for the middle rear seat. I don't see anything in my manual about LATCH limits, so you would have to call Hyundai, or go with the conservative 40lb limit.

You may not brace against or touch the front passenger seat because of the advanced airbags. I don't know about the drivers seat, the manual is unclear.

As a general rule, advanced airbags don't apply to the driver's seat.

MommaTo3inNH

Hey! Hyundai defers to the seat manufacturer for latch limit, so 40lbs. If I bought another infant insert, would the baby fit in the blvd? (we ditched the one it came with, it got doused in oil). If both sears would fit the baby (blvd and radian) I would play around with positions to see what left the most room for ds. I may also try the onboard air bucket, maybe it will fit better than the radian...

Ugh, as excited as I for our little surprise baby, it is totally wigging me out as far as the car seats go!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC