Britax Frontier 85 questions

mmr713

Does anyone know if three Frontiers will fit across on the second row of an SUV? What about one Frontier and two Marathon 65s? Also, does the Frontier require it to be tethered when installed in harness mode with a seatbelt? Thanks!

ADS

Pixels

Questions 1 and 2, I don't know. The Frontier does not require the tether if the child is under 65 pounds. Above 65 pounds, the tether is required.

mmr713

Thanks for the info on the tether. I have a 06 Land Rover LR3. I currently have two marathons and one roundabout on the second row. I just didn't know if the frontier would puzzle in the middle between two Marathons, although I would prefer to replace the marathons and roundabouts with frontiers.

littleangelfire

Yeah, the Frontier is pretty wide, and though I haven't tried it to know for sure, my guess is the arm rests are just too high for it to puzzle well with a Marathon.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
All answers here:

http://carseatblog.com/5751/britax-frontier-85-review-its-all-new-is-it-for-you/

Really good and COMPLETE review. Read it last week. Looking for a combo myself, and if I recall correctly, they say 3 fit accross.

Yeah, the founder of our board wrote that. :) He specifically says:

The width may be an issue for fitting three child seats across one row of seating, so you would have to choose the other restraints carefully

I doubt they'd fit across a Land Rover three across, or with a big Britax in the mix.

How old and heavy are the kids?

Wendy

mmr713

I just got back from BRU and the Frontier did not install tight enough by itself in my LR3. This car is PAIN fit a seat if it's not high on a base like the older Britax. So I'm back to Radian's. We have two of them - 80 SL. I just got off the phone with Russ at SKLP. It sounds like the clearance area around the latch bars is not enough in the car but seatbelt install still a problem. He suggested trying with locking clip. I've taken the car and seats to a senior tech and she could not get them tight but she didn't try the locking clip either. She works at a store that sells seats so I think she may have just wanted to sell me more seats! So we will try the locking clip this afternoon.

Here's the stats: #1 is 4.5 yr, 41.5-42 inches, maybe 39-40 lbs. #2 is 26 months, 37.5 inches (outgrowing the roundabouts, long torso), 28 lbs. #3 is 26 months, 37 inches (long torso), 28.5 lbs. #2 and #3 are twins.

I do not want to put #1 in a booster. He is not ready and prefers a harness after sitting in a booster at the store.

So I'm down to 3 Radians across if we can get them installed correctly once #4 outgrows the Marathon or #2 and #3 outgrow the Roundabout. #1 is not happy in the Marathon and rides in a Radian 80sl in all other cars.

Any help in the Radian install?

mmr713

I'm pretty sure I tried only the short path. I was at BRU with the two year olds sitting a stroller in the parking lot, cold, windy, etc. We were able to get a better install on the Radian using the locking clip but it was more difficult! We will try the long path on the Frontier and the Prosport maybe next weekend when kids go to Grandma's and we have time to play. I'm still thinking about getting two more radian's even though they don't convert to a booster since the combo seats are so wide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC