Question Head support while RF'ing my 7-month-old in MA

Hello,

I just bought a new Frontier XT for my DD (4yo, 45 lbs, 43" tall), so she can pass her MA on to her brother (7 months old, 21 lbs and 29" tall).

The only issue is that it's a four-year old seat, so it doesn't have the extra head "wings" - padding around the head area - that the new ones have. I'm concerned about his head drooping (to the front and sides) when he falls asleep in the seat, seeing as he's so young. He does have good head support, but I'd still like to have additional padding if possible. I know that I'm not supposed to modify the seat in any way, due to compression issues, etc., so I'm wondering if there any head support/cushion products that are ok to purchase in this instance. Or, any other ideas you might have would be welcome.

thanks!

ADS

canadiangie

The only product I'm comfy suggesting are Baby Hugz. They are essentially permanently rolled receiving blankets in cute tubes of fabric that go along the side of the child's head *after* the harness is secured and tightened. They do not go behind the child's back in any way or interfere with the harness.

http://www.littlebabyhugz.ca/products.html

Short of that, do you have his car seat reclined enough? He can be as reclined as 45 degrees if needed, and sometimes with the Britax seats you need a chunk of pool noodle or tightly rolled towel under the base of the seat to create enough recline.

mommycat

Unless he has very poor head control, he should do fine with the Marathon at his age without any additional padding.

As Angie mentioned, you need to have sufficient recline to allow his head to fall back instead of forward. Make sure you have put the seat back in recline mode, and that you install it at an angle between 30-45 degrees from the vertical, using a pool noodle or tightly rolled towel in the seat bight if necessary. If his head droops forward chin-to-chest, then he needs more recline (do not recline past 45 degrees though). Having the head lean sideways is *not* a safety issue.

If you feel he is uncomfortable, you can use something to pillow the side of his head, as long as you don't put anything between him and the seat/harness. The bolsters Angie linked to look fine, or you can just keep receiving blankets in the car and pad him up on the sides after you tighten him in the harness.

mam521

FWIW, I have a BLVD and a Roundabout that my little guy has occupied since he was 6mo old. The BLVD has the wings, but he still tips to the sides when sleeping. It just doesn't "appear" as far of a sideways flop in the BLVD as it does in the Roundabout. The wings aren't close to the head like they were in his infant seat. I just do as the others had suggested, rolled up receiving blankets. He's content and happier to have more shoulder room and to see out a touch more because he's not at a NB recline.

Hope that helps :)

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
My little guy was RF in a MA from about 7 months and he was fine. I fins even very upright, they MA still has quite a natural recline to it.

Also be sure the seat has been put into the rearfacing recline , by pulling the black handle in the front. Also, when installing, put more pressure in the "bum" area and that will help get a better recline.

If you need help or want a check, im also in T.O.

Thanks to all for your helpful tips and expertise! :)

I haven't put DS in the MA yet, so I'm not sure it will happen to him, but I remember the "slumping" that my DD had when she was in that seat, despite the 45 degree recline.

@canadiangie - I like the BabyHugz. Thanks for the suggestion. I sew, so I may make some myself. May I assume you have these? If so, could you send me the dimensions and do you know what the stuffing is made of (regular poly-fill or something more like buckwheat)? Just curious... :)

@HONEYhas3 - I will probably take you up on your offer of a check. When my DD used the seat, I had posted photos and had a technician check the install, too. (After working on the initial install for 2 hours, I got it right! Yaaayyy! LOL) But, it's been three years since then and we have a different car now, so it may be a bit challenging installing it RF'ing now.

I'll post pics when I get the new seat for DD and switch DS to the MA in a week or two.

Again, thanks to you all for your help! :)

canadiangie

I do have them. :) I don't use them very often, but I demo them all the time to parents who are using all sorts of unsafe aftermarket inserts. These are a safe alternative that provide great support. Not everyone wants to use rolled receiving blankets, which I can understand.

3 inches wide, 18 inches long. Feels like a poly type fluff to me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC