Ugh what should I do?? If anything...

mommyof3tx

I just got off the phone with my mom and they have her boyfriend's grandson for the next 4 days. Well she told James (BF) to make sure he was sent with a car seat so he did. Well they are totally clueless so tonight I asked what kind he was in and she described it to me....a t-shield. All of which are expired correct? And weren't the recalled? Plus James says he has to weigh a good 50lbs which I'm sure is over the weight limit? I don't know much about them but since it's so old I'm sure it doesn't hold that much? Plus he's outgrown it by height too.

Plus when my mom buckled him in she said the seat was making funny noises and the little boy said "my sister's seat is making noises" so it's not even his seat....meaning since they requested he had a seat and they gave them that instead of his he must not normally even ride in anything. He's 4. But his baby sister is under 1 and FF in that seat normally.

So I told my mom that unless it is an emergency not to drive him anywhere while they have him, she agreed. But I have an extra Graco HBB that I am really considering taking over for them to use and send back with him. But I know I'll want to grab that seat and destroy it...even though it isn't mine to do so lol. But then I worry they'll just put the baby in that when they get back. Also wondering what that baby is riding around in now if her brother has her seat??? Ugh

I'm not really sure I should do anything? Maybe I could bring the booster and leave a note for them to give to his mom about how he should be in a booster and also something about that seat and how it's dangerous to use with some recommendations of like the Scenera for the baby?

Or should I just stay out of it completely? I don't know the girl at all....

ADS

babyherder

I'd at least give your mom your booster the use while she has the kiddo.

Maybe the old seat could have an accident (get really messy or something) and magically be replaced with a new seat?

momtoo3

Could your mom or her boyfriend buy a Scenera or Evenflo Tribute ($45 at Walmart) and a booster to give to the kids as a late Christmas present? If they can afford them it would be a great gift to keep the grandkids safe.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd get more info before panicking. Is it a T-shield or an overhead shield? Ts are recalled (I believe) and old, but overhead shields were still being manufactured and sold as of very recently.

I'd also make sure on the weight. Not to stereotype (except I'm going to), but dads tend to have no clue what their kids weigh and usually err on the side of making them much heavier. If this is the grandpa, that's just as likely.

If it really is a t-shield or it's too small, I'd try to see if I knew a friend who could lend a seat to them.

mommyof3tx

It is for sure a tshield, I made sure before saying anything about it to her. His shoulders are for sure over the slots for the harness, but Grandpa is taking a guess on weight by holding him. My mom said he's very stocky, so I would say it's pretty likely he is at least over 40 even though may not be over 50 like Grandpa guessed.

My mom knows no one that could lend a seat, besides me, but I have nothing for the infant, but I really don't mind giving my Graco HBB. I had planned on selling it soon anyways to help fund my Uppababy Vista for baby on the way but only planned to get maybe $20 or so for it anyways so not like I'll miss that $20, I'd rather him be safe. But it's over an hours drive for me to take it to her, which I don't mind but worry his mom wouldn't even bother when they got him back.

Apparently Grandpa and this boys mom aren't close at all, have been estranged for years and just recently started talking again and this is the first time he's been able to keep the grandson so I really don't think he's going to say anything, but I wouldn't mind writing a note....if someone thinks it would even help anyway. Not sure if I should just stay out of it and hope nothing happens or say something and give the booster

christineka

I'd give them the info about safe kids if it's in their area. I'd leave it up to the parents. You can give people good car seats, but it won't make them use them correctly.

mommyof3tx

I'm not sure, I would imagine so, we are in the DFW area of TX, they are in Arlington, I believe (that's where my mom lives). Anyone have the link so I can look it up and see then I can just give that info to my mom to give to them?

Baylor

How about they take a pic of the kid and the seat and send it to you? Are you close to them? What if they called their local fire station.. Wouldn't they have that information? Or they may have information on car seat assistance programs in their area.

jess71903

Ambassador
I think there are several members here in the DFW area, so maybe someone knows something.

I think I'd loan them your HBB and leave it alone, though. I would hate for Grandpa to blame a car seat fiasco for not being able to see his grandkids when he's just been allowed in their lives.

mommyof3tx

Yeah that was my concern too, since I don't know her I don't know her personality and how she would take any information with the way the situation is now. I guess I'll make a trip out there and give my mom the booster and just let her use it while she has him so they can take him out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC