To Radian or not to Radian?

TeresaK

I need a new convertible seat for my DD :).

The details:
She is 12 months old (just had her birthday!), about 19-20 pounds and 28." I would like to keep her RF until around age 3 but height/weight probably won't be much of an issue since she is pretty petite and kids in my family tend to stay that way. We have a 2009 VW Jetta and backseat space is an issue. My almost 4 year old DS is on the right side in a FF convertible (soon to be replaced by a Britax Frontier 85). I would like a seat for DD that is easy to adjust (I don't mind a hard install since it won't be moved), comfortable, great quality, long lasting, and, of course, safe.

My first choice is the Radian but I have read so many conflicting things about it that I have no idea what to do LOL. One minute I am totally convinced. The next I read something that turns me off (price I pay for being a research junkie I guess). What do you like and not like about it? Would I be better off sticking with something else? Also, what are the real differences between the types of Radians? I want opinions, not just facts! ;)

Thanks in advance :)
Teresa

ADS

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
A thread like this is almost certain to further increase your confusion! There are so many people on this board who LOVE :love: LOVE the Radian, and probably an equal number who feel the exact opposite.

I'm one in the latter category, unfortunately. My DS1 is riding in an older model Radian80, FF thank heavens because installing it RF is a 50-degree angle nightmare, and the belt paths are so narrow that even my small hands cannot come away without getting banged up. But the seat has worked decently FF, although it is extremely difficult to tighten. So it was never my favorite and I put it where it would be used the least.

Then all the problems started with the spontaneous harness disengagement, and the SuperLatch loosening sporadically, and I started to doubt the safety of the newer models.

THEN, the icing on the cake was how SKJP has been handling the reports of serious seat problems, basically denying repeatedly that anything is wrong and claiming that the problem is completely isolated when we know very well that isn't true. I feel like I've lost all faith in the company.

:twocents:

Keeanh

Personally, until I feel I can trust the company, I'm not going to trust that seat. I do have 2 Montereys, and I feel okay using them because there's no harness involved, but I probably wouldn't even buy one of those if I were buying now.

jnamommy

I bought Radians for my ds to use FF. I hated them at first. And my mom could not buckle them for anything. Harnesses were a PITA to adjust. But they installed well in our vehicles, and I slowly learned to like them and learned how to deal with their quirks. Now I have turned 2 of them RFing for dd, and I like them much better RFing. It is easier to tighten the harness if necessary. And my dd likes to hang her legs over the side, so a low profile seat is a must. So now, I like my Radians :D And in our vehicles, I have not had an install prob.

I have flown with the Radian a couple of times, and :love: it for travel. Folding it in half, adding backpack straps, and being able to wear it through the airport is awesome.

Pixels

Have you considered passing down the convertibles you already own?

The Radian tends to take up a lot of front to back room. The True Fit is good front to back, but takes up a lot of width.

There are basically three Radian models currently available:
Radian 65SL: RF 40, FF 65
Radian 80SL: RF 45, FF 80, comes with newborn insert
Radian XTSL: same as 80SL except with headwings
All of the different models have their own cover choices.

KatieMB

I like our Radians but they are a PITA to install. If you move seats frequently IDK if that is a seat I'd want to install a lot, especially RF. They also take up half an acre rear facing. We have one RF in an 07 Honda Accord and it's pretty tight to sit in the passenger seat in front of the RF Radian. They fit both of my boys well and I feel very safe with them.

If I had to buy them again... I'd do it.

TeresaK

A thread like this is almost certain to further increase your confusion! There are so many people on this board who LOVE :love: LOVE the Radian, and probably an equal number who feel the exact opposite.

I'm one in the latter category, unfortunately. My DS1 is riding in an older model Radian80, FF thank heavens because installing it RF is a 50-degree angle nightmare, and the belt paths are so narrow that even my small hands cannot come away without getting banged up. But the seat has worked decently FF, although it is extremely difficult to tighten. So it was never my favorite and I put it where it would be used the least.

Then all the problems started with the spontaneous harness disengagement, and the SuperLatch loosening sporadically, and I started to doubt the safety of the newer models.

THEN, the icing on the cake was how SKJP has been handling the reports of serious seat problems, basically denying repeatedly that anything is wrong and claiming that the problem is completely isolated when we know very well that isn't true. I feel like I've lost all faith in the company.

You are probably right - I think it will add to my confusion LOL! Thanks so much for the info though :) I had no idea about these particular problems since I am new to the board.

Personally, until I feel I can trust the company, I'm not going to trust that seat. I do have 2 Montereys, and I feel okay using them because there's no harness involved, but I probably wouldn't even buy one of those if I were buying now.
It is sad that they aren't honing up to the issues :(

I bought Radians for my ds to use FF. I hated them at first. And my mom could not buckle them for anything. Harnesses were a PITA to adjust. But they installed well in our vehicles, and I slowly learned to like them and learned how to deal with their quirks. Now I have turned 2 of them RFing for dd, and I like them much better RFing. It is easier to tighten the harness if necessary. And my dd likes to hang her legs over the side, so a low profile seat is a must. So now, I like my Radians :D And in our vehicles, I have not had an install prob.

I have flown with the Radian a couple of times, and :love: it for travel. Folding it in half, adding backpack straps, and being able to wear it through the airport is awesome.

Easy flying is a huge plus since we visit my family in MN a lot. I usually borrow my MIL's seats that she has for her car since they are lighter.

Have you considered passing down the convertibles you already own?

The Radian tends to take up a lot of front to back room. The True Fit is good front to back, but takes up a lot of width.

There are basically three Radian models currently available:
Radian 65SL: RF 40, FF 65
Radian 80SL: RF 45, FF 80, comes with newborn insert
Radian XTSL: same as 80SL except with headwings
All of the different models have their own cover choices.

Thanks for the information :) I had planned to pass my son's Britax Blvd down to my DD but we were in a minor car accident and now I have to replace the seats (I had a thread about this the other day in another section). I love the BLVD but it never worked well RF in our car so I was looking at the Radian...

I like our Radians but they are a PITA to install. If you move seats frequently IDK if that is a seat I'd want to install a lot, especially RF. They also take up half an acre rear facing. We have one RF in an 07 Honda Accord and it's pretty tight to sit in the passenger seat in front of the RF Radian. They fit both of my boys well and I feel very safe with them.

If I had to buy them again... I'd do it.
We wouldn't be moving the seats at all (except maybe for once or twice a year air travel). It is very helpful to hear how much room they take up RF since that was one of the reasons I was turned off of my BLVD. So far, you guys have talked me OUT of the Radian again ;)

abbi_n_nadia

We have an XTSL and like it ok. We've had it for about 10 months now for my 4 year old dd. She seems pretty comfy in it. It takes up a lot of room RFing so I didn't know whether it would work in our car or not, we have a Toyota Matrix. It worked in the middle RFing for a day or two and then started compressing the seat more and more til it was reclined so much that it was touching the front seat backs which Toyota dosn't allow so we have to use it FFing. My dd was not happy about that cause she wanted to RF. The only other problem we've had with it is that it is really really hard to adjust the harness. :/ One thing I do like is how easy it is to install with the seatbelt but that kind of defeats the purpose of the superlatch. We have had it installed with seatbelt most of the time we've had it though and just recently switched our seat arrangement around so now it is installed with latch and we did have to tighten it after a couple months but I think that is due to the seat compressing. Its crazy that so many people are having problems with it now! I probably wouldnt buy another one unless the company fixes the issues but so far I feel ok using the one we have since we haven't had any real safety issues with it. I love how narrow this seat is, wish they would work out the issues (including making it install more upright RFing!) so I could buy another one for my younger dd!

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
We have an XTSL and like it ok. We've had it for about 10 months now for my 4 year old dd. She seems pretty comfy in it. It takes up a lot of room RFing so I didn't know whether it would work in our car or not, we have a Toyota Matrix. It worked in the middle RFing for a day or two and then started compressing the seat more and more til it was reclined so much that it was touching the front seat backs which Toyota dosn't allow so we have to use it FFing. My dd was not happy about that cause she wanted to RF. The only other problem we've had with it is that it is really really hard to adjust the harness. :/ One thing I do like is how easy it is to install with the seatbelt but that kind of defeats the purpose of the superlatch. We have had it installed with seatbelt most of the time we've had it though and just recently switched our seat arrangement around so now it is installed with latch and we did have to tighten it after a couple months but I think that is due to the seat compressing. Its crazy that so many people are having problems with it now! I probably wouldnt buy another one unless the company fixes the issues but so far I feel ok using the one we have since we haven't had any real safety issues with it. I love how narrow this seat is, wish they would work out the issues (including making it install more upright RFing!) so I could buy another one for my younger dd!

See, this is what baffles me: how much people are willing to forgive with this seat! I don't get it.

So, you purchased the seat to RF your 4yo. It was unable to do that job, to the great disappointment of both you and your child. So you give up and FF it, and it's extremely difficult to tighten her harness properly. You are only getting half the value of a convertible seat if you can only use it one direction; you could have purchased a combination seat for that price if you knew you were going to have to FF anyway. Another big selling point was likely the SuperLatch - YAY, easy installs forever! - and it's unable to live up to that promise because it loosens itself over time. Why do you keep this seat? :confused:

Not to mention problems other people have had, with it's notoriously difficult to tighten harness, people fiddle with it RF'ing, pulling the straps from the rear just to get it snug - that should not be necessary, and it's impossible to do the same FF. Why doesn't the seat work properly? Would we tolerate this from any other seat?

And then to top it off, the manufacturer's refusal to believe that anything could be wrong with this seat, and blatantly lie ("I've never heard of that!") repeatedly to parents reporting problems, even when doing so could potentially put children's lives at risk.

And for as much as car seat obsessed people are willing to put up with to make sure it's installed properly and the child harnessed properly, the average parent isn't going to know any of this stuff, so why do we recommend it so often? "Can be used properly every time" is an essential part of our mantra.

/rant :hitselfonhead:

firemomof3

I think it really depends on if its going to install well in your vehicle. I'm not familar with your car so I cannot help that way :( I have owned 2 Radian XT for the past 2 years and have had no issues. I just swapped one for a Frontier (to be used in booster mode) though since I don't need both.
I would also highly recommend the True Fit Premier since you probably won't need the 40lb. rf with a petite child. I have one that I'm using ff with my almost 5y/o and my 12week & 1y/o daycare kiddos. Its very user-friendly, has the anti-rebound bar :thumbsup:, and should install nicely in your car.

StPaulMom

Chipmandee has already covered most of the reasons for why I do NOT like the Radian. I had one. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. I ended up disliking it more and more. The way SKJP has handled these issues is a major issue for me, and I'm speaking from first hand experience, since both of the Radians I got had issues (both the SuperLATCH issue and the harness issue).

Aside from that issue, it can be a VERY difficult seat to install and use. I'm a tech and have spend lots of time installing car seats and *I* find the Radian to be one of the least user friendly seats I've ever encountered except in very specific installation situations (FF with LATCH). If I have a hard time, how will the average parent fare?

And I cannot fathom how THIS seat would be considered a good travel seat! Just because it folds and has straps does not make it a good travel seat. It's ridiculously heavy, so unless it's the ONLY thing you're bringing with you, then the fact that it folds and has a carrying strap really wont help. A Cosco Scenera weighs less than 10 lbs and you wont care that it doesnt fold or have straps because it's light enough not to matter! And for a seat that is such a bear to install in so many vehicles (including being incompatible in more than any other that I've found), the last thing I want to do after getting my rental car is struggle and curse and sweat to install a seat in an unfamiliar car. I would NEVER travel with that beast!

So my hands down answer is NOT to Radian. Like I said, I want to like it. I WISH I liked it! The fact that it's narrow and tall fulfills so much of what I want in a seat. But it's not the seat I hoped it would be and I wont use it anymore.

momtoo3

I will have to say I hate our Radian. It is being returned to diapers.com this week. I have had it since last April. We bought it for 3 across. I can't get a good seatbelt install, the LATCH strap loosens on it's own and the harness is a PITA to tighten. I called Sunshine Kids about the LATCH strap and again, they had "never heard of this problem." they did send a new LATCH strap that did the same thing within 2 days. I called back and was told that it was impossible and my kids must be undoing it. They definitely were not touching it at all. I told them I wanted to return it and was put on hold for 45 minutes before I hung up. I called back and was put on hold again for atleast a half hour before I hung up and called diapers.com where I bought it. They told me to send it back and they would refund the cost even though it has a small stain. They really have great customer service. Now I just need to go up in the freezing attic to dig the box out.

On another note the seats we love are our Complete Air, which will fit my son longer than the Radian since he is tiny, the EFTA/Triumph65, and Graco My Ride. My 2 yr old is 25 pounds and likes the Complete Air the best. BRU has the 50 pound version for $149-$159 on clearance. All of the Complete Airs rear face to 40 pounds so you would get a ton of use out of it and it is cheaper than a Radian and way easier to adjust. The harness height is adjusted up front and tightens much easier too. You may need a noodle to install it or if you get the CA65 LX it has a base to adjust the recline. HTH!

TeresaK

Thanks so much for all of your input :) I really had no idea about these particular problems so I'm glad I asked here! It sounds like it is definitely not the right seat for us. Now I need to figure out which one is ;) I have been very happy with our Britax Blvd so I might just stay within my comfort zone (especially since the new seats take up less room front to back). I can't wait to check out some of your suggestions like the True Fit and the Complete Air though as well.

I will have to say I hate our Radian. It is being returned to diapers.com this week. I have had it since last April. We bought it for 3 across. I can't get a good seatbelt install, the LATCH strap loosens on it's own and the harness is a PITA to tighten. I called Sunshine Kids about the LATCH strap and again, they had "never heard of this problem." they did send a new LATCH strap that did the same thing within 2 days. I called back and was told that it was impossible and my kids must be undoing it. They definitely were not touching it at all. I told them I wanted to return it and was put on hold for 45 minutes before I hung up. I called back and was put on hold again for atleast a half hour before I hung up and called diapers.com where I bought it. They told me to send it back and they would refund the cost even though it has a small stain. They really have great customer service. Now I just need to go up in the freezing attic to dig the box out.

On another note the seats we love are our Complete Air, which will fit my son longer than the Radian since he is tiny, the EFTA/Triumph65, and Graco My Ride. My 2 yr old is 25 pounds and likes the Complete Air the best. BRU has the 50 pound version for $149-$159 on clearance. All of the Complete Airs rear face to 40 pounds so you would get a ton of use out of it and it is cheaper than a Radian and way easier to adjust. The harness height is adjusted up front and tightens much easier too. You may need a noodle to install it or if you get the CA65 LX it has a base to adjust the recline. HTH!

Wow - that is good to know about diapers.com! I will be sure to check there before I purchase a seat. I will definitely check out the Complete Air at BRU too. Thanks for the heads up :)

Amy7707

We have a Radian XTSL and haven't had any problems with it, but DS doesn't ride in it very often (maybe twice a week or so). I like it better than the MyRide because it is so easy to get DS in and out. We have it installed with the seatbelt most of the time, but when I did use the latch strap I didn't have any problems. The harness is a pain to tighten, but I feel like it is the same on the MR. We have to tighten the straps from the back and then pull the harness adjuster. We loosen & tighten every time we get in and out of the car. I can't see trying to get his arms in every time - especially because he protests getting in the seat!

The install on the Radian is easy in our car and it is nice and upright. It also installed surprisingly easy in my MIL's car the one time we had to move it. The MR is sooo simple to install too - less than 3 minutes and I do it in my car about once a week. My mom has the EFTA and I hate installing it. The latch strap is impossible to tighten so we have to use the seatbelt. I'm contemplating replacing it with a Britax since I've heard those are easy to install.

My sister has the CA and likes it so far. I think they had to use pool noodles to get it installed.

All that being said, if I was in the market for a new seat now with all the issues with the Radian and the customer service "fixing" the problems, I probably wouldn't buy one. Especially since DS is still so small and doesn't need the extra weight/height of the radian right now.

Baylor

See, this is what baffles me: how much people are willing to forgive with this seat! I don't get it.

So, you purchased the seat to RF your 4yo. It was unable to do that job, to the great disappointment of both you and your child. So you give up and FF it, and it's extremely difficult to tighten her harness properly. You are only getting half the value of a convertible seat if you can only use it one direction; you could have purchased a combination seat for that price if you knew you were going to have to FF anyway. Another big selling point was likely the SuperLatch - YAY, easy installs forever! - and it's unable to live up to that promise because it loosens itself over time. Why do you keep this seat? :confused:

Not to mention problems other people have had, with it's notoriously difficult to tighten harness, people fiddle with it RF'ing, pulling the straps from the rear just to get it snug - that should not be necessary, and it's impossible to do the same FF. Why doesn't the seat work properly? Would we tolerate this from any other seat?

And then to top it off, the manufacturer's refusal to believe that anything could be wrong with this seat, and blatantly lie ("I've never heard of that!") repeatedly to parents reporting problems, even when doing so could potentially put children's lives at risk.

And for as much as car seat obsessed people are willing to put up with to make sure it's installed properly and the child harnessed properly, the average parent isn't going to know any of this stuff, so why do we recommend it so often? "Can be used properly every time" is an essential part of our mantra.

/rant :hitselfonhead:

Perfect summation. I went back and forth because it was my only option to RF my almost 3 yr old at 41.6 pounds this morning. But I just can not get past the issues and each time I almost go for it, Another thread pops up with concerns. I am way past this seat now. For its cost It should be perfect along with customer service and that is just not what I see.

TeresaK

We have a Radian XTSL and haven't had any problems with it, but DS doesn't ride in it very often (maybe twice a week or so). I like it better than the MyRide because it is so easy to get DS in and out. We have it installed with the seatbelt most of the time, but when I did use the latch strap I didn't have any problems. The harness is a pain to tighten, but I feel like it is the same on the MR. We have to tighten the straps from the back and then pull the harness adjuster. We loosen & tighten every time we get in and out of the car. I can't see trying to get his arms in every time - especially because he protests getting in the seat!

The install on the Radian is easy in our car and it is nice and upright. It also installed surprisingly easy in my MIL's car the one time we had to move it. The MR is sooo simple to install too - less than 3 minutes and I do it in my car about once a week. My mom has the EFTA and I hate installing it. The latch strap is impossible to tighten so we have to use the seatbelt. I'm contemplating replacing it with a Britax since I've heard those are easy to install.

My sister has the CA and likes it so far. I think they had to use pool noodles to get it installed.

All that being said, if I was in the market for a new seat now with all the issues with the Radian and the customer service "fixing" the problems, I probably wouldn't buy one. Especially since DS is still so small and doesn't need the extra weight/height of the radian right now.

Thanks for your response :) I am a bit confused about the pool noodles. How do they help install the seat?

ctbcleveland

Just to provide some balance....

I own 3 radians. Radian 65, Radian 65 SL and Radian XT.

For the price that they cost, I think they are an incredibly versatile seat. The seat can handle a newborn well. IMHO, is the best choice for an ERF seat because of ample amount of leg room, the high seat back, and low profile. As a forward facing seat, the high harness heights are also very attractive.

We are fortunate to have newer, larger vehicles that have ample room for the seat RF. I think it is a wonderful choice for 3-across situation and fills a niche like no others.

While it is a heavy seat - it does fit in an overhead bin for travel - which is ideal for a kid that will be using a cares harness on-board. I think this is particularly attractive for parents travelling with multiple kids in seats.

In the laundry list of radian problems that people mention - we've had none, which is far better than I can say about the one Britax seat I own. Some of it might be when my seats were purchased, it might be my vehicles, IDK.

Anyway - of all the complaints others have listed - the one that bugs me is the Company's handling of these recent problems. I suspect the problem is that they aren't internally being elevated above certain people.

I have no qualms about the Radians I own protecting my child in the vehicles I own.

Pixels

Pool noodles or tightly rolled towels can be used under the base of the seat, at the bight (part where the vehicle seat back and bottom meet) to recline the seat further. The Complete Air, Scenera and Avenue almost always need noodles.

Amy7707

Ditto what Pixels said about the pool noodles.

On a side note - I've never had to use a noodle for the MyRide. And I don't think you're allowed to with the radians.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC