Bringing strollers across the border

Lucy_R

I have a question about bringing a stroller across the US/Canada border. Ok, so the UppaBaby Vista is the stroller that I have decided to buy for this baby. I was at Bo Bebe checking it out, although I had planned to get it online on a US website and get it shipped to friend's US mailing address, saving myself more than $200. Anyways, I kind of mentioned this idea to the salesgirl, and she told me that you cannot take US strollers across to Canada due to safety regulations. Now obviously we all know this in terms of carseats, but is the same accurate for strollers? I always thought it wasn't an issue. Anyways, I would love to know before I order it and he tries to bring it across for me and gets stopped. Thanks ladies!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've been asked about my US purchased strollers when crossing, but I think they're confusing travel systems and strollers. Obviously, travel systems have the carseat component. I can't say 100%, since I have heard this, but more times than not CBSA tends to be misinformed on this issue.

-N.

Emi's Mommy

Strollers are fine to cross the border but I've heard (2nd hand so take it with a grain of salt) of defects not being covered under warranty.

bubbaray

Most of my strollers came from the US. Never had warranty problems re the US purchase (almost with a MB, but it all worked out). Never been asked about the stroller, other than the value of the goods.

canadiangie

There are strollers available in the US that do not meet Health Canada standards and are therefore not sold in Canada. The Kolcraft Contours Tandem is an example.

That said, the Vista *is* sold in Canada so I'd have zero concerns about trying to bring a US model up here. And to be completely honest I'd have zero concerns regardless. Many of my strollers are from the US. :)

tam_shops

All of my new strollers came from the US. I've brought them all across the border, myself. I paid duty/tax on at least one of them (maybe $30), brought through Point Roberts WA, they are *picky* there imho. The others were brought through Blaine WA, declared & not questioned (or duty/taxed). Not worth the risk of $30 but I know people that have thrown the box out, or left it at a friends & carried on. I'd always want the box in case I needed to ship it for repair/return it...

I have heard that some of the American strollers are not *approved* here & something about the distance between the tray/seat ie Graco recall kind of thing...

As for warranty work. My only experience w/ that was w/ Maclaren, twice. I had two options. 1 ship or drive it to the closest American depot. I forget where it was but don't think it was close enough to bother & why pay for shipping. 2 was to get it repaired at a Canadian depot. For me, the closest one was Tjs. Since 1 of the two fixed was my Easy Traveller (not available in Canada), Maclaren knew they would not have the parts, so they shipped me the parts (basket & rivots) w/ a note that approved the repair. Tj's (known for bad service) happily fixed it & took the note.

imho if we're talking $200 savings, it's well worth the risk of either paying for the repair yourself or paying to have it shipped to the American Depot.

If you ever need an American shipping address there is one I know of in Point Roberts WA (Letter Carrier) & one in Blaine WA (Hagens of Blaine).

tam

QuassEE

We use Mailboxes, International (www.mbistore.com) in Blaine. We pay for a PO Box so it's $1.50/package but you can get a yearly subscription for $10 and $2.50/package. I love their CS. Peg (the lady at the front) is seemingly grumpy, but she's cool.

-N.

Kobain's Mommy

I'm in the US but close to the boarder. Worked at a place and we had a lot of Canadian's come down and buy everything but seats here. We did have a few buy a travel system, take the cover off the seat and leave the seat for us to throw at the store, so when they got to Canada they'd buy the seat in Canada and put the travel system cover on it.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We use Mailboxes, International (www.mbistore.com) in Blaine. We pay for a PO Box so it's $1.50/package but you can get a yearly subscription for $10 and $2.50/package. I love their CS. Peg (the lady at the front) is seemingly grumpy, but she's cool.

-N.

I wish I could find something like that as reasonable around here. Every service I've found so far is priced to not make it worthwhile. :thumbsdown:

Lucy_R

Ohhhh, I totally want to get my own address! I didn't know how to do that. We are close to ND, so the address I'm shipping to is in Northgate. Even though we are like 4 hours away, that would definately be awesome to have for stuff like this.

Keeanh

So Nicole, are you taking orders? How much do you charge for delivery? LOL

I've been looking at ordering from Country Moose Kids. They have free shipping to Canada. Anyone here tried them?

canadiangie

So Nicole, are you taking orders? How much do you charge for delivery? LOL

I've been looking at ordering from Country Moose Kids. They have free shipping to Canada. Anyone here tried them?

I have.

Got dd's balance bike from there. Extremely awesome customer service. :eek::thumbsup:

xursusmaritimusx

just a question...

if you bought a stroller, how would they know? if you have kids who are stroller age? wouldnt they assume it was just yours anyway?

reason i ask is ive gone to vancouver a handful of times with DD to visit friends in that area...

at the border they just ask if you have anything to declare and 9 times out of 10 i dont (unless i buy some stuff at duty free i say so)
i dont feel they would know otherwise? i mean i've brought a car full of stuff, stroller, pack n play, portable high chair seat before. no questions?

but if you got a stroller and just didnt say anything, they wouldnt know?

QuassEE

Keeanh--Girl, you know I'll stockpile US goods here for you until you're next in town!

Okay--so why don't we just cross the border with our strollers in the trunk? Well, the burden of proof IS on them, but CBSA can make your life absolutely miserable if you get a seizure on your record. I know from experience, and I wasn't even doing anything wrong.. I brought something back about 5 years ago (they were WAY more strict) and I declared it. It was something that was refurbished, and my invoice didn't have a price on it. I knew the price, and I declared it as such. They looked it up on the website, and pulled the non-refurbished version...and said my $200 item was $300, and I was lying. I got reported as a smuggler, and had a seizure on my permanent record.

Of course, because I wasn't lying, I was able to appeal and get a copy of the receipt and mail it in. But even after that, for YEARS, there was a seizure report and warning on the cashier system inside. Five years, in fact. I think it cleared in 2010, because I stopped getting harassed at the border.

You can bring about $300-$500 worth of stuff, PLUS your groceries, into Canada without them so much as batting an eyelash. Why lie? Seriously--why bother? Generally, you're only stuck paying taxes (12%)..sometimes there's duty. If 1 out of every 5 times you're in for tax, and you're already saving hundreds or thousands of dollars...WHY lie? It's not worth it--coming from someone who was telling the truth and still put through the wringer.

Of course, I cross twice a week and have since moving to Canada in 2002... so for me to have one problem in that timeframe probably isn't unexpected. Now I have internet on my phone so I pull up my receipts that are missing before crossing.

-Nicole.

Keeanh

just a question...

if you bought a stroller, how would they know? if you have kids who are stroller age? wouldnt they assume it was just yours anyway?

reason i ask is ive gone to vancouver a handful of times with DD to visit friends in that area...

at the border they just ask if you have anything to declare and 9 times out of 10 i dont (unless i buy some stuff at duty free i say so)
i dont feel they would know otherwise? i mean i've brought a car full of stuff, stroller, pack n play, portable high chair seat before. no questions?

but if you got a stroller and just didnt say anything, they wouldnt know?

You're right, if you took the tags off and left the box behind, they wouldn't know. I suppose it's up to the individual as to how they feel about lying to border services.

Keeanh

Keeanh--Girl, you know I'll stockpile US goods here for you until you're next in town!

Oh great, now you're tempting me. International shipping has prevented many a purchase in the past :p. But seriously, thank you, I'll keep it in mind.

tam_shops

Keenah, a lot of ebay dealers will ship to Canada. I've used that before. Otherwise, was it you that is 4hr away? Then I'd ship a bunch of stuff all at once & I'd go down for the night & return w/ it all...

I use Hagens of Blaine. $2.50 per package. No annual fee, they email you when your package is there.

As for smuggling, not worth $30 imho, that's all I paid for my P3, but you're right if you have no box & you went down w/ out stroller & returned w/ 1 stroller that you used & got the wheels dirty while down there, but they'd still be able to tell it *looked* new... In fact when I went to PR when YDS was a babe, they actually asked me once how many strollers I had, they're onto that imho, especially down there...

I've always gotten through w/ $200 at Blaine. More like $200 for Point Roberts. Anything over that seems to be random, sometimes you get through, sometimes you do not...

Canadianangie, WHICH running bike did you get? And, from where? I got ODS the Walmart one, great for a 3-5YO. It was too big for YDS, so I got him the Wee ride one.. But, it's too big too. He's got super short legs, long torso, how helpful in the car seat world! LOL Now, I'm debating between the Strider & Laufrad, but are smaller.... This place seems to have no tax & free shipping...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC