Question 2008 Toyota Corolla

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I am trying to see what is involved in installing two convertibles and one infant car seat in a 2008 Toyota Corolla. I've been trying to read the forums here to see what all of the issues are and here is what I have come up with:

1) The seats need to be be "independently" installed. What does that mean?
2) Only use the uaw anchors for two of the three seats. One has to be installed with the seatbelt. When installing with the seatbelt, the belt has to be tight. If the belt is tight, this is just as safe as using anchors.
3) My three car seats, when installed side-by side, are all touching each other. They also lightly touch the side door handles. Is this ok?

Is there a "tips and tricks" section for installing three car seats side-by-side in a narrow car?

We have 2 Cosco Alpha Omegas and 1 Graco Snugride. When I started on this, my wife and I were sure that we would have to buy 2 Radians but the thought of spending $600.00 on new car seats irked me so I gave the seats we have a shot.

Thanks!

Chris

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hello,

I am trying to see what is involved in installing two convertibles and one infant car seat in a 2008 Toyota Corolla. I've been trying to read the forums here to see what all of the issues are and here is what I have come up with:

Are your seats rear facing or forward? How old and heavy are your kids?

1) The seats need to be be "independently" installed. What does that mean?

It means that each seat is installed as if nothing else is in the car. You can't have the middle seat nice and tight because the outer two seats are squishing it in.

2) Only use the uaw anchors for two of the three seats. One has to be installed with the seatbelt. When installing with the seatbelt, the belt has to be tight. If the belt is tight, this is just as safe as using anchors.

You cannot use UAS in the center, and with a three across I'd do seatbelts for all three, that way you can get the outer seats closer to the door. When you're installing with UAS the straps need to be tight as well. A poorly installed seat with UAS is a lot less safe than a properly installed seatbelted in seat. Proper installation either way is what you're looking for, less than 1" of movement at the belt path using either method.

3) My three car seats, when installed side-by side, are all touching each other. They also lightly touch the side door handles. Is this ok?

That's fine, as long as they're each independently installed.

Is there a "tips and tricks" section for installing three car seats side-by-side in a narrow car?

Just what you've asked and has been answered. :)

We have 2 Cosco Alpha Omegas and 1 Graco Snugride. When I started on this, my wife and I were sure that we would have to buy 2 Radians but the thought of spending $600.00 on new car seats irked me so I gave the seats we have a shot.

Are your AOEs 40 or 50 pound versions? Do they have removable bases? If so, that'll give you a lot more room.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Hello,

Thanks for the quick and very professional answer!

My kids are both front-facing. One is 3 and weighs 33 pounds. The other is 20 months and weighs 30 pounds. I understand that it is safer to have the younger one rear-facing but my pregnant wife wouldn't be able to get in the front seat that way and I (6'3") couldn't drive that way because my knees would be touching my chest.

We are going to have a new baby in February -- we obviously planned everything very well and saved up to buy that new Sienna 2011 minivan...ahem...

They do have removable bases and I will try them that way once I get to a heated garage somewhere -- it is -10celsius here in Whitby, Ontario today. I do not know if they are the 40 or 50 pound version. (They may be Safety 1st, not Cosco...same product name though, weird)

Happy New Year!

Chris

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My kids are both front-facing. One is 3 and weighs 33 pounds. The other is 20 months and weighs 30 pounds. I understand that it is safer to have the younger one rear-facing but my pregnant wife wouldn't be able to get in the front seat that way and I (6'3") couldn't drive that way because my knees would be touching my chest.

Do you know that the lines don't need to be parallel to the ground for their ages? I wouldn't worry about the three year old rear facing (with the 40 pound version I'd worry about the three year old being too tall in the torso for it, as the uppermost headrest position is not for harnessed mode). But you can put the 20 month old as upright as 30 degrees rear facing. Without the base, that happens very easily, and you should be able to fit it just fine behind your wife rear facing. As it's up to 500% safer to rear face longer than two, I'd make every effort to put the 20 month old rear facing. Including buying a new seat. A Cosco Scenera might be your cheapest option, though I don't know in Canada the prices. However, the seats you have should work just fine more upright.

We are going to have a new baby in February -- we obviously planned everything very well and saved up to buy that new Sienna 2011 minivan...ahem...

I'd go with the Odyssey from a carseat standpoint over the Sienna. hehe They upped their tethers and LATCH, whereas the Sienna reduced it. But babies have a tendency to wait for no new car.

They do have removable bases and I will try them that way once I get to a heated garage somewhere -- it is -10celsius here in Whitby, Ontario today. I do not know if they are the 40 or 50 pound version. (They may be Safety 1st, not Cosco...same product name though, weird)

Then they're the 40 pound versions. Make sure your three year old isn't too tall. It's very possible they are, as that seat is often outgrown by torso height between 2.5 and 3.5 years old.

There's also the Eddie Bauer version of the seat. Dorel Juvenile Group owns Eddie Bauer, Cosco, Safety 1st, and Maxi Cosi. So they all are the same seat, just different names (though they usually have Alpha or Omega in the name. LOL). Dorel spends about $5 on naming, same as Britax and Graco (Snugride 22, 30, 32, and 35 anyone?).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC