Next seat for a 3 year old in 2007 Honda Civic

Jenninbel

Currently, we have our 3 year old FF in a Britax Roundabout. He is about 34 pounds and about 38" tall. Last night, we had our car seats inspected and they told us that he was going to soon outgrow the Roundabout because his shoulders will be above the top strap. So, I am looking at what the next options will be and try to figure out how long we can extend the Roundabout (which I thought was when the top of the ears were at the top of the seat, but I think he will outgrow the straps first). I don't think it will be long....

We have another one on the way and that one will be in a Chicco Keyfit 30. Now, while I know it goes up to 30 pounds, I am certainly not expecting for this one to stay in the bucket seat past a year. I could be wrong though, I have no idea. DS1 outgrew an older Graco carseat in height by 4 months (which is when we put him in the Roundabout).

The Roundabout has some life in it, so we want to maximize the use of the carseats. In the other vehicle (99 Toyota 4Runner), we have the Chicco base and a Britax Marathon (probably made in late 07/early 08 - FF as well, DH could not handle having DS1 rear facing, but I think after last night, he will be more of a convert for #2). I think we will be ok with the 4Runner for a while. We can move the Roundabout into that vehicle when the baby is out of the Keyfit. I think we would have 2 more years on the Roundabout at that point.

For the Civic though, we need something that is easy to fit into a compact car for DS1. I want him in a harness for as long as possible. Right now, he has to be behind the driver because with the Keyfit depth, my husband would not be able to drive because of how far the seat can go back without bumping the carseat. But, with the Roundabout right now behind the driver, DS1 is still cramped and loves to push against the driver seat (which is seriously annoying). So, I would like to find an option that would give him more space (so lower profile) as well as being able to be used for a really long time. I also need something that is easy to take in and out with a seatbelt (since apparently Honda does not let you go above 40 with the LATCH) and can also be used on an airplane. And, can be used with a gogoKidz (because when we fly, that sucker is my life saver). I like to use carseats on airplanes so we also have carseats when we get to our destination.

Oh, DS1 is not a long and skinny kid. He is kinda stocky. I wanted to get the Baby Jogger City Select (the newer tandem double stroller) but DS1 is already too wide for it (he looked smushed in it :(. So, I don't want to get something that is really narrow that may be uncomfy for him in a year or so. We are not planning on 3 kids, so I don't think we have to make sure we could eventually put 3 in the Civic at one time. If for some reason, that did happen, I think DH and I would just switch cars :)

We went to the store today and the salesguy is also a carseat tech and he was suggesting the Britax Boulevard 70. He said the sunshine kids radian had a lot of complaints with the strap between the legs smooshing the little boy parts and the extender may help (although it really did seem tight on DS). The Graco Nautilus looked like a pain to adjust and I hate the Graco LATCH clips (although with our Honda, we can only latch until 40 pounds). I do like the looks of the Safety 1st Complete Air, but the salesguy seemed to poo-poo the brand. You can tell he really loves Britax. Which is fine. But I want to find the best option for us and not have to buy another seat in a year.

Any thoughts?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't buy a convertible seat for a forward facing three year old. You're buying a rear facing and forward facing seat and not using it rear facing. Waste of money.

If you didn't like the Nautilus (how is it hard to adjust?), for a broad child I'd look at the Britax Frontier 85 or Recaro ProSport. Probably the Frontier first. It's a lot wider and will probably be more comfortable for him.

The Roundabout, and any forward facing seat, is outgrown when the shoulders go over the top slot, when the tops of the ears go above the top of the shell, or when the weight limit is reached. Whichever of those three comes first. The Roundabout is normally outgrown between 3-4 years old.

Remember for rear facing you don't need the seat at a 45 degree angle once the baby has head control. So that should help.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC