Are any infant seat fabrics breathable?

lisaf

I just went to a few baby stores today and looked at infant car seats (due in May, trying to select/register for stuff now)!

I know that graco has a mixed reputation for making babies sweat but that it all depends on the fabric. So I go there, feel all the fabrics and make a note of the ones that felt the most breathable.
Then I came home and found a handful of reviews from people in similar climates complaining about the sweating issue! :(

So I look at the 2 other brands that are compatible with the stroller I have and both of them also have comments about babies sweating!

I'm starting to lose hope here! :(
The brands that work with my stroller are Graco, Peg Perego, and Maxi Cosi.
Is there any hope here or am I doomed to having a sweaty baby?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I moved your post to carseat chat where it's more appropriate.

Not all babies sweat. You're in a warm climate, but not one that I think of as overly humid, correct? My older daughter was born in July in North Carolina. 95º and 95% humidity were the norm. She never sweat. Never. To the point where I asked her pediatrician why she never sweat. It's just who she is. My mom says her dad never sweat, except for his feet. Sure enough, Piper's shoes are enough to clear a room.

I'd get what you want (of the three you listed, the Graco Snugride 35 is my top choice. Th Peg is expensive and hard to install and has only a five year lifespan), and if you don't like the cover or it's not working for your baby, you can always buy a different cover. If you have a sweaty baby you do the best you can. Maybe you have two of the same and wash one and use one. Or you have a child like mine who never sweat.

Laine has sweat before. Usually only in bed. And it took me months to realize it wasn't drool or milk.

Wendy

canadiangie

What stroller do you have?

If you're that concerned about fabric, chicco allows you to use an aftermarket organic cover rather than their original cover. Chicco's FAQ section has info about this. I just can't recall the brand of cover they allow.

Do you really need car seat to stroller compatibility? Could you go with a different stroller?

lisaf

I am in love with my stroller, a Mutsy 4rider which I researched the heck out of before buying. It has adaptors for any of the 3 brands I listed. I have the choice to buy the bassinette attachment for the Mutsy, but its over $200 and the car seat adaptor just seems simpler since I'll need a car seat anyway. The stroller seat reclines to 170 but it says suitable for 3 months + so I'm hesitant to put a newborn in it.

My husband and I both sweat so I don't think we'd be lucky enough to have a baby that doesn't sweat and I'm in Santa Barbara, California where the temp is usually mild or warm. We do not have A/C in most places here because it doesn't get extremely hot, but this means when it is warm, there is little to no relief from it.
I liked the Maxi Cosi for weight and looks, but the Graco is more standard. Do they sell Graco covers separately if I need to try a different fabric?

The only 'good' solution I've read online is to put a cotton blanket underneath the baby, but I know this is a BIG no-no for safety reasons.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Rather than put a cotton blanket under them, just put a cotton tee shirt on, and remove it when you get somewhere. That way they're against cotton (you can put a square behind the head) but nothing is bunching or getting in the way of the harness.

You can often find covers in the swap section here (you can't post, but you can read), on craigslist, or ebay. I don't see them on graco's site, but that doesn't mean they don't sell them.

Wendy

Kobain's Mommy

We have a Graco SafeSeat1(same shell as the 32 and 35). We used it in Texas in June when DS was 6 weeks (also born in May). He did sweat a bit but not much. We live in ND and it's cold out. He sweats more in the seat now becasue how I dress him LOL. He's got a fleece shower cap cover, then blanket, clothes, and a hat on. I have noticed most of the sweat is coming from his head than his body.

One thing I like about the fabric of our seat (the nylony) is that it's super easy to wipe down. Graco does sell extra covers or like PP said they are for sale a lot in the swap.

soygurl

The stroller seat reclines to 170 but it says suitable for 3 months + so I'm hesitant to put a newborn in it.

It always makes me scratch my head as to why strollers always seem to say 3mo+ regardless of how flat (or darn near!) the seat will recline! Car seats for newborns should be at 45 degrees in order to maintain their airway. I don't see how a stroller seat reclined to 80 degrees (I *think* that's what "170" would be in relation to how car seat angles are measured... someone correct me if I'm wrong!) could possibly be unsafe for a newborn. :rolleyes:

Not to say that it's wrong to want a car-seat which will fit, just that I personally would have no problem putting a newborn in a stroller with that much of a recline. Then again, I'm much less strict about following mfr instructions when I'm not talking about a car seat. :whistle:

dragonmama

I just wanted to add, off-topic, that I really liked the kiddopotamus snuzzler in strollers (with a good, but not flat recline) when my daughter was a newborn. It seemed to keep her cozy, and her head from flopping around. Although I guess that might be sweaty too. We had a July baby, and she was fine with it, though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think any foam lined bucket with polyester is going to be a little warm, and a sweaty baby will be a sweaty baby no matter what. :eek: Might as well get the Graco (Which is one of the best sellers, so there're a lot more people to complain when something seems wrong), because it's among the easiest to install and use properly. Teutonia T-Tario 35 is actually a Graco, but has much nicer covers, I don't know if they are cotton, but they are so soft and cushy and come in such pretty colors, I just swoon over them :love:

Ooh, I love that stroller, too, looks like it pushes and turns like a dream :)

lovemybabies924

i would go w/a graco as well..i have had a few and the ones w/the cotton feeling fabric never made my babies sweat :) but on the other hand the replacement covers are only like $30ish so if its in your budget you could just have an extra!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC