Question Infant Seats - Help

belleemr

I will ba new mom in April 2011. I have picked out a convertible seat (True Fit Premier) after much research for when my baby is out of an infant seat. I still cannot decide on an infant seat. I really wanted the True Fit Via but it is not available in Canada. I have been reading many reviews and some say one seat is good and some say another. What are your suggestions for an infant seat? Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Have you bought the convertible yet? If not, I'd hold off. Carseats have expiration dates, and if you're not going to use it until close to 2012 you'll be letting a lot of life go while it sits in the closet. Also, in a year there may be something far more perfect for you out on the market.

I'll let a Canadian tech talk about infant seats available there. What about the Via did you like, though?

Wendy

sparkyd

Ditto what Wendy said. One seat at a time for sure.

Unless something has changed, the First Years Via is available here, but only as part of a travel system and only at Zellers.

Keeanh

Congrats on your pregnancy, and welcome! If you wanted, or if you already bought and can't return it, you could use the True Fit for your newborn. Just mentioning that because when I had my first it never occurred to me that you didn't NEED an infant seat.

dogmelissa

I would agree about holding off on the purchase of a convertible seat - or really any seat for that matter - until closer to your due date. But not *too close*!! I'd recommend around Valentine's Day... then you have it in case the baby comes early, have time to get it installed and learn how it works.

As far as recommendations, if you could let us know what vehicle you will be putting it in (year, make, model) that can help as some bucket seats just don't work in some cars. But my personal recommendation would be to stay away from Evenflo seats as they require the handle to be down plus clearance and that eats up a TON of room in a vehicle.
As PP said, you can use a convertible seat for an infant, but I know I sure liked the ability to take baby out of the car when she'd fallen asleep, so I do think there is value there. The travel system seats tend to be just fine: you can always move into the convertible after 3-4 months so it's not a big deal if they only go to 22lbs and they tend to be more affordable.

Good luck & congrats!!
Melissa

mam521

Congrats on the pregnancy!

As mentioned, yep, hold off if you can on purchasing the convertible unless you intend to place your baby in it upon his or her arrival.

As for the infant seat, the Chicco KeyFit seems to be quite popular. Its reasonably light and installation friendly. Also, the Graco Snugrides are very popular and have a built in lock of on the base for ease of installation. I haven't looked into too much detail, but I've heard the Baby Trend seat available at Babies R Us is good if you're limited on space.

The weather should be more forgiving in April, but just remember cuddle bags are not recommended. Stick with a peek a boo cover or a carseat blanket if your little one is in an infant seat :)

Good luck :)

belleemr

Thanks, everyone. If I can't find an infant seat I like I will use the TrueFit but I would rather have an infant seat so that I don't have to lift the baby out everytime. I don't know what vehicle I will have yet. I currently have a Mustang Convertible but I am going to be selling it and getting a family friendly car before the baby is born so I don't have to climb in and out of the small backseat. I am not as concerned with size or features as much as I am with safety. I really don't like that Canada only tells you if the seat has passed its standards so you have no idea if it just passed or if it far exceeded the standards.

I have checked a few Zellers and no Via? What Zellers did you see it at?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know if any country tells you how seats did. The US doesn't. I don't know that Sweden or the EU does either.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC