Should I go ahead and get a Radian?

AnnaC

I talked DH into letting me get the Radian. :whistle: But now all the threads about the issues are giving me second thoughts!!! If you were me, would you still order a Radian, knowing all the issues they're having??? :confused:

ADS

Baylor

Do you mind if I surf this thread? I am thinking of getting one myself.. I am concerned about installing it correctly RF and the issues that have been talked about here..

urchin_grey

I have one and love it. :) I don't use LATCH anyway though so I don't personally have to worry about that issue. What other issues are they having though? I think the LATCH thing is the only thing I've heard.

Baylor

I have one and love it. :) I don't use LATCH anyway though so I don't personally have to worry about that issue. What other issues are they having though? I think the LATCH thing is the only thing I've heard.

Can you use a regular latch as opposed to the super latch?

AnnaC

I'm actually planning on installing it in the center, with the seatbelt. So I'm not too concerned about the SL issue.

The thing I'm really concerned about is the harness adjuster not staying in the locked position. That's a huge deal- the kid almost might as well not be in a seat if we were in a crash with that malfunctioning.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor

There have been a few threads recently with people having problems with the harness straps releasing spontaneously, and the metal lock that holds that harness straps tight staying up unless it is manually pushed down. Unfortunately there has not been a lot of support from SK on the issue.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Can you use a regular latch as opposed to the super latch?

All the current Radians have the SuperLatch, and that's simply the type of strap and heavy-duty latch connectors that come with the seat, meaning you need to use it with the seat it came with, i.e. you couldn't swap it out for a regular latch connector. Does that make sense?

Baylor

There have been a few threads recently with people having problems with the harness straps releasing spontaneously, and the metal lock that holds that harness straps tight staying up unless it is manually pushed down. Unfortunately there has not been a lot of support from SK on the issue.

That bothers me and I am not thrilled with the Superlatch issue either.. I don't know now.. .

urchin_grey

Um, yikes. That hasn't happened with mine (yet). I don't often adjust the harness either though. But I do always pull on it out of habit.

I do have LATCH in my vehicle, but I have an '03 so I can't use it past 48lbs regardless of the SL. (Bram is way under 48lbs but I just prefer the seatbelt install anyway.)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I would still buy one, because they are really the only option for heavy RF kids, or ones in a tight 3-across. Just install with the seatbelt.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Interesting, I haven't heard of that issue, and haven't had that problem with either of my XTSLs.

AtTheSouthDam

I have one, my second one and I have not had a single issue with my harness.

I do :love: my RN, even as just a back up seat now. Whether I would get another with the harness issues enlightment, I am not sure. At this point I am not sure I would be comfortable selling it, either. I would feel responisble somehow if it failed.

andre149

In our case, even if I had known about the issues that are cropping up I still would have bought one because we have a 38# 2.5 year old. I figure I'll just keep an eye on it, we'll check the harness every time (seatbelt install so no worries there) and call it ok :)

firemomof3

I have 2 Radians and haven't had a single problem. I get great installs, harnesses stay snug and my superlatch hasn't loosened once. The Radians are my favorite seat, I just love everything about them :love:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Meh, there have been reports of it happening with pretty much any seat on the market. There was a big uproar about the Nautilus a few months ago...and the Frontier, and of course all the Dorel seats and the Decathlon.

jennzee

We really have been happy with our Radians and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We bought them for a 3-across situation and it worked great. We've got a larger vehicle now and did have some issues with long buckle stalks in the new car that left me frustrated for a time, but I've finally figured that out and can get a good install in all seating positions. We've not had any of the issues that have been brought up by others. Every seat has the potential to have issues....that wouldn't bother me as much as the lack of customer support that seems to be coming from SK in getting them corrected. I suppose that would be my only hesitation....thankfully, it's not something I've had a need to experience first-hand.

AnnaC

Meh, there have been reports of it happening with pretty much any seat on the market. There was a big uproar about the Nautilus a few months ago...and the Frontier, and of course all the Dorel seats and the Decathlon.

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better. I haven't been around here long enough to have seen any of that.

I'm thinking of buying a Radian, start hanging out at c-s.org, and then a bunch of Radians have problems! :eek: Just freaked me out a bit. ;)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Lol, yeah it's scary, but really all seats have issue of one sort or another. If you do order one, make sure they will fit in your car first...there are a ton of "I ordered my Radian!" threads followed a week later by "Ok it's here, now I have no front seat room" threads!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC