Pls Check Radian XT in 2003 Corolla

Mrs Mark

I just installed our new Radian XT and I feel okay with the install. It is RF in the center, using the lap-shoulder belt. At the belt path, I cannot move it more than 1" although it does have a lot of play at the top and touches the seats. ETA: DD is 9 months old, 28 " long and 23 pounds.

I have two questions. When we had the Graco SnugRide 32 it was in the middle back seat (obviously RF). Usually DH sat in the back seat with DD and I drove, because the SnugRide was so big that he wasn't comfortable sitting in the front seat with it pushed so far forward. (He also likes sitting with DD in the back so he can chat with her. :thumbsup:) However, the seatbelt was constantly coming loose and I was constantly having to reinstall the base. I never knew about locking clips. I have checked my car manual and there is nothing about using the clips with a car seat. The manual is actually a little vague about car seat installation. So if I use a locking clip and have good install, will this solve the problem of constantly having to reinstall the Radian? I think I will go bonkers if I have to keep tightening the belt over and over and over.

Second question is the tether on the Radian. It is attached in two places at the back of the seat and just hangs off then there's buckle type of thing and then it goes into one piece. Here is a pic:

PB131557.jpg

PB131556.jpg

So if I install the tether, it's a sort of Y-shape that comes loosey-goosey from the car seat down? It seems wrong to me that it just hangs, and the manual doesn't say. I cannot figure out how to adjust the tether to make it tighter against the back of the seat, shortening the top of the Y.

I also cannot figure out how to install the tether in the passenger seat track. I was going to clip it in to the two holes there but I think I should use the tether connecting strap. Here is where I was going to install it:

PB131549.jpg

Here is the clip on the tether:

PB131550.jpg

So I will use the tether connector strap and wrap it around the seat track. I will also check with another user (I think KetchupQueen) who if I'm not mistaken, put the tether in her 2003 Corolla without the tether connector strap.

Here is the seat installed. I'm going to get DH to help me push the seat in a bit more to make sure it's even tighter, but for now I'm happy. Note, the tether is not installed, it's just hanging down in the pics.

Nice and snug in the cushion of the car:

PB131553.jpg

PB131545.jpg

PB131552.jpg

PB131545.jpg

PB131551.jpg

PB131546.jpg

Are there any Techs in the Lower Mainland that could check this for me? I could go anywhere but prefer to stay in North Delta, Surrey, or Langely. I am also in Vancouver in the afternoon on November 14. Thanks!

ADS

canadiangie

I only have a second, baby needs me. You can private message quassee as she is in one of the cities you asked about, if I recall correctly.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm in Sunshine Hills, Desiree_Leigh is in Newton and April is on the Surrey/Langley border near Clayton. What would work best for you?

-Nicole.

Mrs Mark

Thanks, ladies! I'm closest to April but I can go anywhere. Should I just PM her?

And this is a stupid Q but is there a charge to have my seat looked at?

Pixels

The top part of the tether isn't adjustable. The buckle thing will slide along the Y-shaped part, so that the whole system will be snug when you take the slack out.

QuassEE

Thanks, ladies! I'm closest to April but I can go anywhere. Should I just PM her?

And this is a stupid Q but is there a charge to have my seat looked at?

You can send her a PM. There's no charge for a check, but a Tim's card is always welcome. It may be that techs start charging around here, since BCAA switched from actual check events to parent education sessions...but it hasn't happened yet :)

-N.

tam_shops

What's a parent info session? Who/what/where/when?

The back of my car looks like that also (Toyota Matrix), I rapped the short belt around itself, around the leg of the car's seat & then hooked the tether onto that. I hope that's ok, that's how I did ODS's MA years ago...

And, how'd you get it so tight w/ the seatbelt in the middle, I gave up & put it outboard. Which really is fine, b/c YDS is now in the middle. I was just hoping to do 3 across again & the SS/MA/RN doesn't work. Have to have SS/RN/MA to get it to fit...or skip the base.

tam

Mrs Mark

tam, I put both front seats forward and got in between the back seats and front seats, facing the Radian. Then I pushed down and back, and reefed on the seatbelt. There is a thread somewhere on how to install Radians, or at least it offers Radian tips. I'll see if I can find it for you.

ETA: Here is a thread I found helpful.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=128158

Mrs Mark

What's a parent info session? Who/what/where/when?

tam

Here is a quick link I found for the parent info sessions. I haven't had time to look at it yet, I just googled it for you. But I went to an info session last year when I was pregnant with DD and they checked our infant seat for us. It was installed WRONG so thank goodness we found the clinic and went!

tam_shops

Thanks! Opened it, will read during nap time, can't concentrate w/ kids running around getting into everything! LOL

All 3 of my seats need to be RF.

The Firehall does seats here, but given they shared latch in the back of a Toyota Matrix, w/ a bucket, pretty sure they were flying by the seat of their pants & were not certified! And, that was against my dh's protest that the Car Manual said you could not do that...So, essentially, they went from our infant seat that was w/ seatbelt install to incorrectly installing it w/ latch! What are the odds of that!?

I found BBC car seat group after that & just posted pics w/ any questions...Then, more recently BCAA had a *thing* at the community center, and we dropped by that to have them checked. The ladies there (didn't check for recall like the firehall had), but did check the install/seats & said, "they were in tighter than if she'd done it". I have a friend tighten my seats for me. Of course, that was in the summer when I had a FF MA & a RF SS. They didn't mention that the FF MA wasn't a good idea...

tam

got signing happy! LOL

Last edited:

QuassEE

Of course, that was in the summer when I had a FF MA & a RF SS. They didn't mention that the FF MA wasn't a good idea...

I've had a few people mention similar experiences--the BCAA technicians don't seem to be advocating for extended rear-facing? I'm surprised they didn't check recalls, as well, since they're the ones who publish the provincial recall list!

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC