Etiquette

sunnymw

Okay, I know this type of post belongs in CMC, but the people who need to see it most obviously won't have access. ;)

1. Search first. Click on the "search" button at the top of the page and see if the question has been asked before. If it hasn't been answered to your satisfaction, it is a good idea to start your own thread and start by saying "I read in thread X (link) that XYZ, but I was still wondering ABC123." This shows that you HAVE attempted to research the topic and makez you look teh goodz :thumbsup:

2. Some threads evolve and random crap comes up. If you see something that piques your interest and you have a question about it, feel free to first repeat step one, and then start a spinoff thread (ie, "S/O, Britax Laptop questions"). That way you still get your questions answered but you won't completely derail the other thread.

3. Be nice. DON'T SHOUT (like, every word in a whole thread) (I haven't seen any issues w/ this). Use "IMO" or "IMHO" frequently. Use "I" statements (my mom taught me this. You say "I feel like you are trying to control my every move." instead of "You are mean and controlling for not letting me go to the concert!").

4. Do not attack a person's decisions. Some people do the best they can with what they have, and some people make less than ideal decisions in some areas while making great ones in others (ie, my 4yo is rear-facing... we eat fast food frequently). No one is perfect. If they are asking for advice be gentle. If they're not... live & let live or start a respective debate.

5. Understand the overzealous excitement of newbies. IE, when I first learned about the benefits of breastfeeding I thought all kinds of horrible things about moms who formula fed, and thought I knew everything about why they weren't successful. Not so. I grew in my knowledge over time, but I am absolutely positive I said some utterly stupid things in the process.

Feel free to add your own.

When I first came here I lurked a lot... and then posted a ton. I'm sure I was pretty dang annoying. I had the benefit of previous message board experience so I knew how to search/multi-quote/etc, but bear in mind that for some people this is their first message board and it may take awhile to get the hang of things (ie, the advanced search feature took me awhile to figure out. A lot of things took me some time to figure out. I'm slow sometimes).

What I'm basically saying is that for the past few weeks I've seen a few lines barely crossed... and to me, this place is like a second home, a safe place, filled with really awesome helpful people with nothing but the best intentions. When I came here I was welcomed with open arms, and I want every new poster that shows up to feel the same, because even though there are small annoyances and people that get on our nerves, this is still a community, a family, and I think we should treat each other as such. I've been appalled at some of the things I've seen said by long-standing members and while I understand the feelings that provoked those posts, I would have loved to seen some things said in a much kinder way (or, not at all).

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, I just feel like this is one of the few relatively drama-free forums I frequent, and I'd like to keep it that way. THIS PLACE is my breath of fresh air. Quit stinkin' it up!!

:love::love::love:

ADS

Mae

Maybe don't do the ...

What??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????!!!

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious?!?!?!?!??!?????????

Yeah, the excessive punctuation marks bother me. :eek:

But I suppose grammar is an entirely different thread in its own.

Great post, sunnymw! Nice reminder. :)

sunnymw

Maybe don't do the ...

What??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????!!!

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious?!?!?!?!??!?????????

Yeah, the excessive punctuation marks bother me. :eek:

But I suppose grammar is an entirely different thread in its own.

Great post, sunnymw! Nice reminder. :)

I don't mind the excessive punctuation and I am guilty at times, but grammar and spelling (when it's getting to the point of "txt speak") really gets to me. Of course LOLspeak is exempt :whistle:

Mae

I don't mind the excessive punctuation and I am guilty at times, but grammar and spelling (when it's getting to the point of "txt speak") really gets to me. Of course LOLspeak is exempt :whistle:

Of course LOLspeak is exempt -- :ROTFLMAO:

I don't mind the excessiveness once in a while, like a big announcement. But just for a question? For example,

"How tall is the GN slot???????"

That type bothers me. :eek:

sunnymw

Mae your avatar does a great job of conveying your emotions on the subject of EIGHTEEN AND A HALF INCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that is what it is, right? lol)

Mae

Mae your avatar does a great job of conveying your emotions on the subject of EIGHTEEN AND A HALF INCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (that is what it is, right? lol)

Uh ... :eek: Say whaaaaa?

It was some avatar on MSN IM, so I screen shot it because I wanted it my avatar here. LOL. I have no clue what you are talking about ...

Aurezalia

Uh ... :eek: Say whaaaaa?

It was some avatar on MSN IM, so I screen shot it because I wanted it my avatar here. LOL. I have no clue what you are talking about ...

In fact, we fought over who got to use that one. I have no idea what you're referencing either, but maybe it was good she got to use that one. :p

Mae

The 18.5" was in reference to your "WHAT IS THE GN SLOT??????????" ;)

Oh, ok! I get it! LOL.

I think he's just cute. And Aurezalia wanted him, too, but she was too lazy to do the work to get him. So I got him. :p

Aurezalia

Oh, ok! I get it! LOL.

I think he's just cute. And Aurezalia wanted him, too, but she was too lazy to do the work to get him. So I got him. :p

That is not why! Hmph! You just beat me to it. :( My little guy just isn't as... intense. LOL.

jujumum

Great post!

Is there an etiquette sticky? If not, this should be one.

You're right about the activity these past few weeks. A few times lately there has been some battles that have made me want to post "Let's play nice" or "Ouch, that was harsh" or "Take it outside to the PMs", although I haven't. It is horrible to read a post with one person reprimanding another. I imagine that the last thing that could help would be for a third party (other than a moderator) to reprimand the reprimander. Or, to defend the defensive, for that matter as usually both folks could have curbed their words and avoided the scuffle.

sunnymw

You know, thebabywearer.com has a really good section at the very stop of their forum called "finding your way". It has the basic FAQ with the abbreviations, etiquette, and it's the basic place to post for your "omg I have 30,000 posts" and testing your siggy and stuff. People also ask "How do I do XYZ?" which would really be helpful since there isn't really a place here to ask that kind of stuff. It's just... "CAR SEATS... and next year you can ask complicated questions on how to fit in well in CMC!!" :ROTFLMAO:

sunnymw

There's this sticky in the Car Seat Safety thread:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=111208

I think most of the stuff in the sticky Mae posted should be in a READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST sticky on both the Car Seat Safety thread and the Car Seat Chat thread. :D

That link is great except it doesn't help newly registered users fit in and find their place... just by-passers post their one questions. :)

ITA that the link Mae posted should be more widely available. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC