Advice for flying with a RF car seat, which car seat to take on flight?

CanadaGirl

I'll be flying with my son from MD to TX in a week and a half. I'll be on an American Airline flight. My son (18 months) has his own seat. I have 2 car seats and need to know which would fit better rear facing on an airplane.
#1 Graco MyRide 65
#2 Safety 1st Complete Air LX
Anyone have experience flying RF with either of these? Anyone want to chime in with advice etc on flying with a car seat? This is our first time taking a convertible onboard and any advice/tips would be appreciated.
TIA

ADS

rachelandtyke

I have flown with rfing seats, but neither of those. I would suggest which ever is narrower and has less of a recline (can be installed more upright) since there it not a ton of room. Both would fit, but a narrower, more upright one would fit better.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I flew with the Complete Air NOT LX and it juuuuust barely fit. I'd be concerned the LX would not fit rear-facing.

I'm reasonably sure someone has put a MyRide rear-facing on a plane, but not sure...

What aircraft are you flying, do you know? You can look up the pitch for AA on that airplane, I believe... I was on a SouthWest 737.

DahliaRW

I would take the CA. It is lighter and narrower. It should fit rfing (I haven't personally tried it, however - but I've gotten a britax MA rfing on a plane and with the base I'd imagine the shell height would be similar and the CA is really easy to get upright).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually, as I said, I JUST BARELY fit the CA without the base in, at a 30-32 degree angle, it had NO extra room. I don't know that the one with the base would fit RF on an airplane seat. :twocents: The CA has a VERY TALL shell. Significantly taller than a Marathon. The MR is similar to the Marathon in shell height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC