Rn XTSL FF Install

lil.miss32

The safestop goes on the back, in the harness, right? I looked at the manual, but it confused me a bit and I just wanted to double check. Thank you! :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right, up to 40 pounds with the top tether, forward facing. You put it between the shoulder straps and the splitter plate. It's hard to put it anywhere else, so you're probably good. :)

Wendy

Mae

Yes.

You use the Safe Stop under three conditions.

In order to use the Safe Stop, you must meet all three of the following requirements:

(1) Child must be FF
(2) Seat must be installed using the top tether
(3) Child must be under 40 lbs.

If you answer "no" to any of the statements, you do not use the safe stop. If you answer "yes" to all of these statements, you must use the Safe Stop.

When you do use the Safe Stop, it will look like this:

c32b82a2-1.jpg

If you don't use the Safe Stop, it gets stored right here:

IMG_9475.jpg

lil.miss32

Thanks everybody!! One last question...

In our 05 Mazda Tribute, to attach the top tether anchors, the little bendy part has to be on top for the tether strap to not be twisted. Is that ok?

Mae

Thanks everybody!! One last question...

In our 05 Mazda Tribute, to attach the top tether anchors, the little bendy part has to be on top for the tether strap to not be twisted. Is that ok?

Generally, no. You want the bendy part to be facing down, towards the ground.

I think I'd rather see a twist in the strap than have the tether connector upside down. Could you maybe snap a picture for us?

lil.miss32

Of the carseat, strap or connector? Lol.

ETA: I took some pics of the tether, I'm uploading now. If you need different ones, let me know, I can get them at lunch time (DH has the car at work now).

Last edited:

lil.miss32

Coming out of the carseat. It comes out straight, and hits the headrest (doesn't twist but "curves") Do I need to remove the headrest because of this??
RadianTopTether-05MazdaTribute4.jpg

RadianTopTether-05MazdaTribute1.jpg

Looking straight on
RadianTopTether-05MazdaTribute5.jpg

Connecting to tether anchor
RadianTopTether-05MazdaTribute2.jpg

Close up
RadianTopTether-05MazdaTribute3.jpg

lil.miss32

I'm honestly not sure what it says. I can look when DH gets home tho. Should I go ahead and twist the tether to get it on right side up?

Mae

I know there is at least one car manufacturer who states to make a twist in the tether strap so the connector is right side up. Check your manual. The car seat manual should also say to have the tether right side up. I think I'd turn it, and not worry about the twist that is created.

Looking at the pictures, can't you just hook the strap without twisting it? If you hook from the front, rather than hooking from the back, you should be able to attach it without any twists.

Pixels

You won't end up with a twist in the tether strap with it hooked the other way. It need to be hooked the other way around.

Check your vehicle manual about the headrest.

Mae

I'm confused... I can twist it, but to keep it straight, it will always be upside down.

Right now you are hooking the strap from the back. You are attaching the strap from the back, and pushing it towards the front of the vehicle.

Do the exact opposite.

Attach the top tether from the front and push it down towards the back of the vehicle.

It will attach it the correct way, and without any twists.

Pixels

The hook needs to be turned over, so that the opening is facing down. The other end of the tether, where it's attached to the Radian, is attached sideways, so you'll have a quarter twist in the strap, same as you do now. It's such a little bit, that you won't even notice it. Try it and you'll see.

Mae

Think of it like this. Yes, I used a d-ring for my example. The d-ring is your tether anchor.

You currently have it attached like this, upside down.

IMG_0002.jpg

If you attach the tether the opposite way that you have it attached now, it will be right-side up, and there will be no twists.

IMG_0003.jpg

The Radian has a versa tether. Is it possible there is a twist hidden behind the install, between the back of the car seat and the vehicle seat? With the set up of the top tether anchor, you shouldn't have any twists when the TT is attached.

Last edited:

Pixels

The Radian has a versa tether. Is it possible there is a twist hidden behind the install, between the back of the car seat and the vehicle seat? With the set up of the top tether anchor, you shouldn't have any twists when the TT is attached.

The Versa-Tether is a Britax thing. It's patented, or copyrighted, or whatever the appropriate term is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC