8" bottom slots okay for newborn?

purplemama

I got a clearance Titan at TRU for $60 for DH's car. I was planning on using it in my truck until I go back to work then moving it to his car (where it would rarely be used) and putting the Tribute in my truck. My logic with that is the Titan has lower bottom slots so it would a better fit perhaps for the first few months. BUT...... the walmart ad yesterday had the Tribute for $45 so $40 with the $5 evenflo coupon. I was thinking of returning the Titan (haven't even played with it just took it out of the bag to take pics of the chest clip for another thread) and getting another Tribute for DH's car because it's soooo cheap.
So anyway, would the 8" bottom slots on the Tribute be okay for a newborn? I know it depends on the size of the baby. My kids were 7# 12 oz and 8# 10 oz. But this one might have to come a week or 2 early so maybe she might be smaller?
Oh, and there's no infant padding on the cheap Tribute. So no help there.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Many newborns of average size and shape will fit in a seat with 8" slots, but some will not. Sorry -- I know that wasn't the most helpful answer.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Many but not all newborns will fit a seat with 8" bottom slots. The smallest will not. I'd say a great many would though. There are infant seats out there with 8" bottom slots. Remember that you may need a crotch roll to prevent slumping if the buckle is too far out, though the Evenflo seats are usually pretty good with that, but other than that it will quite possibly work.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
sorry, what they all said.
I can tell you the titan fits TINY newborns really, really well. With the infant padding in, it makes the bottom slots about 5 inches, and is all but guaranteed to fit any baby allowed to come home from the hospital.

purplemama

sorry, what they all said.
I can tell you the titan fits TINY newborns really, really well. With the infant padding in, it makes the bottom slots about 5 inches, and is all but guaranteed to fit any baby allowed to come home from the hospital.

My Titan doesn't have the infant padding, it's the "sport" version and only has the head pillow. Still way lower than the Tribute though. I think maybe I should keep it just in case. I'd rather be out $20 and have her fit well. I'd feel soooo guilty if she didn't fit right. :(

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I understand that $20 can really feel like a lot sometimes, but I'd rather see a newbie in a Titan than a Tribute.

Pixels

My infant seat has 8 inch bottom slots. My daughter was exactly at those slots when she was born. 8# 1 oz, 19.75 inches, 39 weeks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC