Two RFing seats, one a MR65, the other???

lilkn

DD is 29 mo but small, only weighs about 27-28lb and not tall (haven't measured her lately). She's still RF in her MR65 and we've definitely been planning to keep her RF until she hits the 40lb limit. We're expecting our second child in May, when DD will be 3 years. I'm not anticipating her having quite hit the 40lb limit by then, so she'll likely still be RF while DC#2 is a newborn.

So assuming that, what car seat should we be looking at getting? We don't have a bucket, and I'm fine with getting a convertible straight away rather than a bucket (we're babywearers, so the seat would stay in the car regardless of style). We drive an '02 Hyundai Elantra, and DH is 6' tall (I'm only 5'3" so my height is far less of an issue).

Or - and I really hesitate to even suggest this - would you consider turning a child FF a couple pounds shy of the weight limit in order to facilitate puzzling the seats in together? (I know, it's practically blasphemy to suggest it here, and I am in total agreement!! I'm highly devoted to extended RFing!!)

FWIW, I really adore our MR, as does DD. She went from hating car rides in her AOE to loving rides in her seat, so I'm definitely a fan.

ADS

arly1983

I am not sure how it fits in your car but the radian puzzles great with the MR and both fit infants well. I really like the fit of infants in the myride. They look so comfy in the MR infant insert.

mam521

I'm sure some techs can offer more, but how big was your first born at birth and how long? My little guy is 5.5mo old and average for height and weight and he JUST measures tall enough seated to hit the lowest harness settings on my discontinued Boulevard and Roundabout while seated. I'd be afraid that the baby would swim in a convertible and that it would be hard to get a proper angled install to keep breathing at a premium and head flop at bay.

I'd suggest a bucket, simply because they are designed to protect a tiny little person and give concessions for their small size. By the time your newborn was ready to transfer into a bigger seat, your oldest may have hit the ERF limit on your current seat and would have to turn around anyway. At that point, you could move DD #1 into a harnessed booster like a Nautilus or Frontier, move DC #2 into DD #1's seat and everyone is harnessed and protected. Is this a possible option?

Aurezalia

I'm sure some techs can offer more, but how big was your first born at birth and how long? My little guy is 5.5mo old and average for height and weight and he JUST measures tall enough seated to hit the lowest harness settings on my discontinued Boulevard and Roundabout while seated. I'd be afraid that the baby would swim in a convertible and that it would be hard to get a proper angled install to keep breathing at a premium and head flop at bay.

I'd suggest a bucket, simply because they are designed to protect a tiny little person and give concessions for their small size. By the time your newborn was ready to transfer into a bigger seat, your oldest may have hit the ERF limit on your current seat and would have to turn around anyway. At that point, you could move DD #1 into a harnessed booster like a Nautilus or Frontier, move DC #2 into DD #1's seat and everyone is harnessed and protected. Is this a possible option?

Convertibles are fine for an infant, provided they fit properly. As we state quite often on this board, Britax seats have very tall bottom slots and do not fit young babies. However, there are many other convertible seats on the market that provide a very good fit for small infants. A bucket is NOT necessary for an infant if the family wishes to be more cost-effective and spend money on only a convertible seat.

Also, I highly doubt that her DD will gain 12 - 13 pounds in that short amount of time. I'm highly confident that her daughter has awhile to grow in that seat, weight-wise at least.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but the Radian fits infants very well, puzzles well with the Myride, and installs well in your car (I have an '03 myself). If you get the Radian with the 45lb RF'ing limit, you could RF your ODD in that and the baby in the MR, although either way works. I'm not sure why you're talking about puzzling, though - are you aiming to put the seats right next to each other so you can fit a third passenger in the back?
Either way, I'm sure we can recommend a car seat here for you that doesn't require turning your ODD around early. :)

mam521

Aurezalia, I agree about the weight of DD and ERF. I also agree with what you said about either purchasing another MR65 or the suggestion about Radian and putting the infant into MR65, IF the fit is good, which can be assumed, but not 100% known until baby is born, correct?

I guess it also comes down to when you want to spend the money. Radian is pricey but it is considered thee "skinny seat" to have if space is an issue.

A high weight bucket can probably be found on here in the used forum for cheaper. If the baby got upwards of a year's use or beyond (which was my mistake - I assumed using it closer to its max weight limit; again, I realize its a stretch still), DD could stay in MR65 closer to its 40lb RF limit. It depends if ERF to 40lbs is sufficient to lilkn or if 45lbs offered by Radian is more the family's desire. It also depends on expirations and how long they want DD harnessed after she does reach the 40lb mark. A great harnessed booster will be the last seat purchased for DD with a 9yr expiration, DC #2 could move into MA65 for the remainder of its life and the cost of the new harnessed booster could be offset slightly by the sale of the infant seat.

Again, it all depends on the family and the growth patterns of the kiddos - lots of varying genetics with mom @ 5'3" and dad @ 6', and the family budget. If money isn't an issue, convertible is preference and seat size is an issue, I agree, run with the RA. For me, preference weighs more on the side of snuggling my little person in a smaller seat with higher sides and a smaller chest clip because my babies have both been 7lbs and would swim in an uncomfortable (to me) manner in a convertible. The harness wouldn't sit close enough to their thighs to keep them tight enough for my liking. Again, thats just my preference.

There are just too many options for parents to choose from :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC