2011 GMC canyon "back seats?

kama

2011 Chevrolet Colorado "back seats? *updated*

Does anyone know if you can use the back seats in these for car seats? My dad just bought one and he is sure he will be able to drive me and my daughter places in it because he saw a picture of a kid in a car seat in the back seat of one but my husband said the back seat is strange and he is not sure that you can put car seats in them.

So it is actually a chevrolet colorado and the back seats do look a little strange to me, but my dad says the manual says that it has latch. My husbands concern is with the gap in the foam in the back of the seat.

I am trying to find pictures but my concern is that even if it says in the manual it is ok to use a booster that we are not going to be able to get a good belt fit, my husband said the seats make you tip a bit forward when you sit in them :(

Last edited:
ADS

Evolily

I'm looking at pictures of the back seat, and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to install a car seat. The middle seat looks, strange, that might be incompatible with most or all seats due to the cupholders. But the outboard seats look fine. Unless I'm missing something?

kama

Hmm your right, looking at the website the back seat doesn't look too bad.Not at all the way my husband described. I guess I will just have to look at it myself and see.

Evolily

I wonder if he saw it with the seats folded down? That would look odd, especially if you thought that was actually the bench people ride on, lol.

kama

That sounds likely to me, he described as a weird flat bench with some foam lol. He was like :eek::mad::confused: my daughter is not riding in that back seat!!

Hopefully the seats are as normal as they look on the website.

brookity

I did a check in a Canyon a few weeks ago. We were attempting to install and Evenflo infant seat and were unsuccessful. We also tried an OnBoard Air and was unsuccessful as well. I was not comfortable installing in the center seat because of the cupholders and the 80% rule but the base would not install there anyway. The seats were leather and did not compress AT ALL. I had four experienced techs helping and none of us could get either seat tight with LATCH or seat belt. We suspected that a seat with a higher belt path would be more compatible and we wanted to try a convertible but the parents were in a hurry. They were going to make an appointment later in the week with the senior tech but I don't know if they did. HTH!

kama

Do you think that you could get a booster in the back with a proper fit? My husband found some bad reviews of the back seat, that it was really uncomfortable and almost impossible to fit a car seat in. Is there anything I should look out for when I am trying it to make sure it is ok? He is supposed to be giving us a ride next week so I can't take it in to get it checked before then.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Rear facing I was able to get an Evenflo Titan (not Elite) installed for an infant back there. A Roundabout would have worked as well, but it was for a newborn.

A booster, maybe. I'd try a Vivo, something short. Those backseats have less depth than it looks like.

Wendy

kama

What we have right now is a turbo booster. I am going to go try it tomorrow and see how it fits. How much of the seat part of the booster is allowed to overhang? Any of it? I just re read the turbo booster manual and did not see anything about overhang.

kama

Ok thank you. Is this the rule with all boosters? Is the seat of the vivo just smaller than the turbo and that is why it might work?

Ok so my husband just went and tried it and he said it does not fit at all, he thinks there may have been about 4" of overhang so I am not sure there is a booster that will fit in it at all. He says he thinks the depth of the seat is 10-1/2- 11". Will any seat work with this? Maybe a convertible? Are they allowed to overhang?

My dad really loves driving us to the ymca and will be crushed if we can't ride in his car anymore, he says he will buy any seat he has to in order to make it work but I just don't see car seats working in a back seat that tiny.

My daughter is almost 5, just over 43 inches and about 44lbs.

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Turbo, Nautilus, and CarGo cannot have overhang. Other seats are ok as long as they have 80% on. So the Vivo may work because it has no leg depth (I'm not worried about width, just depth).

An upright, small based seat may work. Something like a Como, Marathon, etc. I just don't know that your daughter will fit in those seats.

Wendy

kama

Thanks Wendy, she had just about outgrown her boulevard, which is why we replaced it. I highly doubt she would fit in one now.

I looked at the charts that show the depth measurements on different seats and it shows the external depth of the vivo as the same as the turbo, does it end up being narrower? I think I am probably just going to have to go to the store and try a few different seats and see.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not narrower, but the internal depth is less, so I thought the external would be as well. As long as 80% of it is on the seat.

The only other thing I can think of is an RSTV. No base, no overhang, and you'll have lap and shoulder belt back there so you don't need to worry about an annoying truck tether.

Wendy

kama

Ok thanks again. I am going to have him meet us at target and try out the vivo because I am hoping that will work, but it is good to know there is *something* that we can use in a worst case situation where I can't find something else that will fit both the truck and my daughter. I had never heard of the RSTV.

kama

Ok so I have a few thoughts, any input is greatly appreciated.

I have been looking at this chart: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...VE&hl=en#gid=0

It looks like the only boosters that will for sure fit are the clek oobr or the jane indy. I could not figure out where the jane indy's are sold to price them but the oobr is $300. I am going to try the vivo, I think there is a chance it may fit but I am not extremely hopeful.

So that narrows my options to a convertible or a ride safer travel vest. I do not know anything about the RSTV. I had never heard of the rearco como before but it seems to have a really unusually high top harness position? (19") This s the chart I am looking at https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...EE&hl=en#gid=0

Unfortunately it also has a high price tag. So these are my thoughts. Either just order a RSTV and call it good (if the vivo doesn't work) or buy a convertible that my daughter still fits in and plan to use it in my car most of the time as the babies (due in Jan) primary seat, but if my dad is giving us a ride transfer it to his car, have my daughter sit in that, and have the baby sit in a different seat in his truck, maybe a scenera or a titan? I think my mother in law had a titan if she didn't get rid of it that she would let us have. Whatever seat we can get to fit rear facing over there. Then when she gets too tall for the convertible either hope she is at that point old enough for the clek backless, or get the RSTV.

As far as convertibles that might fit (forward facing at least) that she still may still fit in, I am thinking a true fit, my ride or radian, seats I was considering for the baby anyway. She might not have a lot of growth in them but then at least I could repurpose the seat for the baby too? I just measured her sitting on the floor, I know the measurement isn't perfect but it came out right around 16", I would think that if that is correct 1" of torso growth might give her a while, at least a year possibly 2? If she could fit in it for 2 years at that point she would be 7 and would probably be ok for a backless booster (the clek backless is very shallow and would probably fit and is a lot more affordable than the clek hbb) for short rides like that. The situation could be completely different in 2 years anyway so it is kind of pointless to speculate that far out I guess.

So any thoughts on the RSTV? Should I just have my dad get one of those? Or should I have him get a convertible that we might be able to use for the baby too?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Newborns don't fit int he Como. And while they have 19" top slots, I haven't heard of a child getting there and still being able to be crammed in by their shoulders.

I'd probably just do an RSTV. It will definitely fit and work.

The Canyon I've been in, or the two of them, had only two seats in the back. Is it going to be you and the kids, or your DH as well? Something you might want to double check.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC