Help with three accross in Sienna

Laurette

A friend of mine has a 7 seater Sienna (not sure what year) and she has triplets and almost 7 year old and 2.5/3 year old.

She needs to have a new three accross for her back row with the 7 year old in the middle in a high back booster and a baby on each side. The baby's have Coccoros ATM. She also has a Regent (will be the 3 year olds new seat) and a Boulevard.

What narrow booster will allow the 7 year old to sit in the middle back row between two coccoros or one coccoro and a BLVD? I think the Vivo is out, maybe the Parkway SG? What else??

ADS

Chameleon

What year Sienna? Boosters don't fit well in the middle in the back because of the fixed buckles. The pro booster fits well because of it's narrow footprint, but it won't work well in a three across situation because of it's size. I think that's the first booster that I've found that fits in between the buckle stalks. I just don't see it happening with the booster in the middle.

NannyMom

I had a old style Parkway in that center position for a booster 3 across. So, maybe the Parkway SG

The Boulevard would have to go passenger's side, it's bigger. The CCO might fit driver's side, not sure.

christineka

It would be a lot easier to put the kid in booster on the passenger's side and coccoros middle and driver's side. The passenger's side seat is wider than the other two. Also, the buckle stalk is stiff, so much, much easier to buckle. (Uses one hand rather than two.)

I currently have a bodyguard in the middle seat. An old style parkway might work too.

karlatta

Yeah, that's a crummy place for a booster. I am assuming the 2.5yo is RF still. Here's what I would do (I have a 7 passenger 06 Sienna). Keep in mind I'm fairly tall, so I may have a longer reach than she does.

I'd put two babies RF in CCOs in the 3rd row, center and driver side. 7yo in a HBB passenger side. Two other RFers in the 2nd row in the CCO and BLVD, seats pushed together. Put the babies in either through the back, or stand in the empty space next to the captain's chair and lean over to buckle everyone in. (I can do this pretty easily if I make sure I have the headrests removed from the captain's chairs.) She may also be able to have the 7yo help with the buckling of the babies.

This is how I've done things when I've had 1 FF kid and 4 RF kids in my car, and it's worked decently. It's not super easy, but I'm guessing nothing really is when you're dealing with triplets, right? :)

Chameleon

The PWSG does not fit there, and the old PW fits OK. The ProBooster fits great. I'll second the idea of putting a booster passenger side and the RF's in the middle and driver's side.

PW Old style
lsu2.jpg

PWSG The problem is it buckles behind the booster and the booster is against the buckle. You can't slide it over anymore because it butts up against the connection point of the shoulder belt.
cow.jpg

cow2.jpg

ProBooster allows for the most room on the seat

prob.jpg

christineka

I was told a week ago in my thread in the technical questions area, that it was fine to put the shoulder belt anchor thingy (I called it a "nubby thing" in my thread) down and the booster on top.

Here's my pictures. (defrost and someone else told me this was fine)

siennanubby1.jpg

siennanubby2.jpg

siennanubby3.jpg

Chameleon

*I* wouldn't do it. Boosters are different than installing seats where there can be tricks to seat belt positions and buckle positions. I wouldn't sit on the buckle and expect it to perform the same in a crash the same way as if I wasn't sitting on it.

Edited to add, by pushing the "thing" down you create more slack in the lap portion of the belt and the belt doesn't fit the same anymore, so no I wouldn't advise doing this at all.

christineka

Is it different because the booster I have there is the bodyguard? It locks the lap portion over the child.

Here's my thread from last week for any who wish to further advise me. I currently have the bodyguard in this spot as pictured.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=144928&highlight=nubby

To get away from this, I'd either have to move oldest to the literider (backless booster) or put another little kid in the back in a radian.

Chameleon

I went and looked at your thread, and I still wouldn't advise it. In the vehicle manual, the position with the "nubby" down is the storage position for that portion of the seat belt. I'm guessing it wasn't designed to be used in the storage position. I honestly would never use the restraint system like that even for myself.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Does the 7 year old fit in a high back turbo? If so, then she could put the turbo driver side, the boulevard middle (the turbo puzzles under, and leaves room to buckle) and anything in the passenger side (except maybe the regent). I know a nautilus will work this way.

DahliaRW

I agree that it's next to impossible to get a booster in the middle. It should work to have the booster outboard and the CCOs side by side (though I haven't tried it myself). Or I might consider a travel vest for the middle if the 7yo has to be there.

NannyMom

The PWSG does not fit there, and the old PW fits OK. The ProBooster fits great. I'll second the idea of putting a booster passenger side and the RF's in the middle and driver's side.

hmmmm. What year is your Sienna? I don't remember the old style parkway fitting like that in my van :confused: But, I didn't have it there long. I'll have to find a picture.

Chameleon

hmmmm. What year is your Sienna? I don't remember the old style parkway fitting like that in my van :confused: But, I didn't have it there long. I'll have to find a picture.

I can put up the picture of the other side also if you want. You may have pushed the shoulder belt notch down and put the seat over it, which would fit great like that, but not that I would recommend at all.

emandbri

The harmony booster should work, it has cut outs so it would be easier to buckle than other boosters. I've done a booster 3 in a row in the back a few times and everytime I do I vow to never do it again because it is such a pain to buckle the booster.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I am going to play probably today, so we all (but the oldest) can get in the van. right now I have the 2 rf in the middle row, but want to change that, as I want to use the regent instead of the older parkway for the 5 year old.

I have to play with:

regent
old style parkway
monterey
boulevard
radian

I have put away a decathlon and a turbo, but don't really want to pull them out right now.

I think I want to try 3 across the back row.

Chameleon

It's not a problem at all to get a 3 across the back row, especially with an old PW. The problem is having the booster in the middle. If you have it on the side, it's not a problem.

Laurette

They currently have the 7 year old passenger side third row in the regent but she will be outgrowing soon. The two coccoros are middle and driver side on third row. Mom wants 7 year old in middle so she can reach to soothe the babies on either side.

Three year old will be moving to the regent and one triplet will be moving to the BLVD IF he will fit.

Chameleon

The only other seat that I know fits in the middle is the Literider which is a lowback, which is OK for a 7 year old, not ideal, but OK. If she really wants her in the middle, then I would suggest the ProBooster which will work while the babies are RF because it won't have to compete for shoulder room with the seats and it fits well in the middle.

Literider pics in the middle.

lite2.jpg

lite.jpg

Jennifer mom to my 7

I am pretty sure the booster won't fit in the middle, even next to a cocorro, unless you do what Christine did, which I am also a bit uncomfy with because it will probably add a bit of slack to the belt if in a crash, and lift up.

7 year old should be able to reach over 1 baby to soothe the other. I would try that first.

As for me.... I have a problem. If I put the radian in the middle rf, and a booster on one side, and a seatbelt kid on the other, where do I put the regent? The recline bar interferes with the fold of the middle seat (8 passenger, plus then I can't tether the radian rf. But then, if I put the radian driver outboard, I can't tether it if I have the regent in front of it. Ugh. I just found out that in a month, my 7.5 year old has outgrown the back of the monterey, so she is backless. Maybe I should booster the 5 year old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC