FF question...

Mirandagrate

next year I'm planning on turning my then 5 year old FF in her XTSL. Question, try as I might, I cannot get a tight install FF in the center on my outlook... I've tried everything-I'm just not comfortable with it... so I will have to put her outboard FF right now she's outboard RF, baby's in center w/ onboard air and ds is outboard w/an XTSL.

Question... will she still be as safe out board FF? Should we put her in the center of the 3rd row seat when we FF her or is that more dangerous than putting her outboard in the middle row?
Thanks

ADS

Pixels

Center is about 30-35% safer than outboard. It's enough of a difference that I prefer to put my child in the center when I can reasonably do so, but not enough of a difference that my child MUST be in the center no matter what. Right now, DD's seat is outboard in DH's car, due to inertia. One of these days I'll get around to moving it back to center. And when the baby gets here, both kids will be outboard. I can't put them side by side in the seats I currently own, and it's not enough of an issue that I'm going to buy new seats. I'll install and use the seats properly, outboard, and know that my kids are safe.

HayleyCPST

I've read that it's 43% safer.

Regardless, the center is safer than outboard. But, I would keep the baby in the center if you can since he is the youngest and more fragile.

Since you have an open center seat in the 3rd row, why don't you use that? Will that be too hard to get all the kids in? Try it out and see how it installs in the 3rd row center. You may have the same issues as the 2nd row. Then since she'll be FF, she can keep you updated on the unknown activities of the 2nd row siblings.

ETA: If it doesn't install well, then your daughter is as safe as she can be outboard. Good job keeping her RF!

Mirandagrate

That's what I was wondering... is the middle seat in the very back safe? Because I worry about being rear ended.... But yes, it will be easier to install back there in the middle because that seat belt rachets-the middle seat belt in the middle row does not rachet... and even with flipping the seat belt it would not stay tight... I can get a good install FF in the rear middle, just wondered if it was safe if we got rear ended. :) THanks!

HayleyCPST

Depends on what you want to protect her from. Side impact or rear end collisions? They both are relatively small percents with frontal collisions being the most common.

Since you can't choose which collision you might get into, I would protect her from the most dangerous if you can, which is side impact collisions. Since you have an open center seat, put her in the 3rd row center since you can get a good install.

Mae

Regardless, the center is safer than outboard. But, I would keep the baby in the center if you can since he is the youngest and more fragile.

While I understand what you are saying here, this is something that the opinion varies among different technicians.

Some techs would prefer the youngest to ALWAYS* be in the center, while some techs would prefer the "less safe" child to ALWAYS* be in the center.

*Always refers to -- only when an acceptable install is possible.

I am one who believes to put the "less safe" child in the center. Since rear facing is statistically the safest option, I would put a rear facing child in the outer positions over a boostered child, or a FF child, and then I would put the said boostered/FF child in the center. But, that's my opinion, and like I said -- it varies among technicians. :)

OP, the outboard position is still safe. Keep in mind, the center is only safer if an acceptable install is achieved. Not only is the outer position safe, but your child will be even more safe because her car seat will be install and used properly every time. :)

Good job on keeping her rear facing!

FWIW, I have a 3yo and 4mo both outboard, rather than one in the center.

aeormsby

We have an outlook also. Honestly, with a FF child tethered & the Side impact Airbags I think outboard is very safe (especially since she will be 5 by then and in the Radian). I wouldn't be willing to deal with the loss of space using the 3rd row full time. FWIW - we have both kids outboard with the center spot open, DD is 4.75 and has been FF in a Frontier for over a year now.

ETA - I'm actually thinking the Radian was incompatible with the center position RF but was OK FF in the Outlook & twin vehicles. Off to search for some older posts with hints.

HayleyCPST

Mirandagrate, it's really up to you. You can either put her FF in the 3rd row and keep the other 2 in the 2nd row or move them outboard, or put her FF in the 2nd row with the others, or see if she can go FF in the center. You have so many options.

She and her siblings will be safe in any position you can successfully install their seats in (except front seat w/airbag) and use properly every time, which it sounds like you are doing.

I agree with Mae to put the less statistically safe child in the center, which is the FF child (or the youngest depending on who you talk to).

The link Aeormsby posted should be helpful to you for installing it center. Maybe you can find a technician in your area to confirm the installs, if you haven't had them checked before? http://www.safekids.org/in-your-area/inspection-station/

Good luck!

MissAllyLou

FFing outboard in a properly installed and top-tethered seat is perfectly safe, and I would not hesitate to put my own daughter in that position :thumbsup: . Excellent job keeping her RFing for so long!

Mirandagrate

Thanks for all the replies!!! I did try to install her seat FF in the center position once... for about an hour... I could never get it tight enough for my liking... which is tug a little on the seat and the whole car moves :) :p

As far as the techs in my area... I'm actually thinking of becoming one because they are sooooo horrible... I went to a presentation by one last year and they said that there was no reason to RF a child after one because it wasn't safe... :rolleyes... Also, they told my friend who had an 8month old at the time that she needed to FF her because it was strengthen her neck :mad::mad::mad: Thankfully she didn't listen... But they are HORRID!!!

aeormsby

Thanks for all the replies!!! I did try to install her seat FF in the center position once... for about an hour... I could never get it tight enough for my liking... which is tug a little on the seat and the whole car moves :) :p

Honestly - it's not necessary to get a 'so tight it rocks the car' installation. I usually see less than 1" at the belt path when given a firm tug with your non-dominant hand as the best way to check for tightness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC