I need stroller help

Anne

I know a lot of you on here know a lot about strollers. I do not. lol. I'm wanting either a double or a sit n stand. I'm looking on ksl and craigslist. So what brands are good and what specific ones should I avoid?

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have no personal experience with sit & stands but I've heard that the Joovy can be more difficult to push than the Baby Trend. Hopefully someone that has pushed them will chime-in.

Wineaux

Avoid Graco, Evenflo, Cosco strollers like the plague. They steer like a wounded wildebeest in heat, weigh a ton, and don't fold easily 1-handed.

What you haven't told us is where you plan to use the stroller. Is it just for indoor mall and shopping stuff, or do you want a stroller you can use outside a lot too? Do you have to deal with a lot of sand or snow where you live? Are the sidewalks in good shape, or are they broken up, cracked, and have potholes? And finally, what is your budget? Keep in mind that "good" strollers, while more expensive on the front end, have pretty incredible resale values when sold used. Like 70-90% of the original cost, depending upon age and how well they have been kept up. Cheap strollers aren't worth crap after a year or so because they don't hold up well.

amyd

Sit n Stands have their place, but they're not designed for 2 kids around the same age/size, IME. They are heavy & hard to steer with 2 bigger kids in them. I'd do a side by side double, personally.

Holly

Is it for P and D?
If you are wanting a sit n stand, try to find a joovy caboose over the baby trend. I had a joovy caboose, not the baby trend but when I was shopping for one, I liked the joovy better because the seat back was taller offering more support and room for a bigger rider. Abby was almost 2 at the time I was looking at them and her head was way over the top of the baby trend. Check Kid to Kid too, thats where I got mine. There is one in Layton and Riverdale.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you don't go for a sit and stand I do highly recommend a side by side over most of the cheaper tandems. There are tandems that push nicely-- but they are the very high-end ones.

Pixels

I'm just beginning to look at double strollers. I've played with the BT SnS, and it feels like I'm pushing a school bus - it's just really long, front to back. I've heard that the Joovy Caboose is shorter. I'm looking to get a hybrid - a single stroller that can have a jump seat added. So far, my favorite is the Phil & Ted's Explorer or Sport (Classic and Sport have been discontinued and replaced by the just-released Explorer), but it's the only one in its category that I've pushed. I like that it's not as long front to back as traditional tandems, and it's not always a double if I only want to push one kid.

If you do look at side by sides, put the heavier kid in one side, leave the other empty, and see how it steers. Some pull horribly to one side under those circumstances. For strollers with the jump seat, you're generally supposed to put the heavier kid in the main seat, and never have a kid in the jump seat without the main seat occupied. But you know that's not how life always works out, so I suggest putting the heavier kid in the jump seat, leave the other empty, and see how tippy the stroller is. Don't forget to simulate the weight of diaper bag/shopping bags hanging off the handle, too. This was another thing I liked about the P&T, it's not tippy even with the jump seat occupied, main seat empty, and moderate weight on the handle.

amyd

I'm just beginning to look at double strollers. I've played with the BT SnS, and it feels like I'm pushing a school bus - it's just really long, front to back. I've heard that the Joovy Caboose is shorter.

It is shorter, but I've heard that when the front seat is reclined, there isn't room for a child to sit on the back seat, only to stand. I think there are different models, though, so maybe they're not all like that.

NVMBR02

I really liked my sister joovy caboose ultalight when we were in Disney. We had one almost 5 year old in front and 2 7 year olds sitting side by side on the back seat (all three kids right about 40 pounds each) and it pushed easier than the P3 we had with one 10 month old and one 5 year old. :thumbsup: The basket kinda sucked, but other than that I was surprised,

I hated my graco duoglider. I would not recommend that. I have a Maclaren Rally Twin (I think it is like the Twin Triumph now) and I really liked that stroller a lot.

Anne

Holly, yes for P & D. I have a wagon right now and it's just a pain to haul them around in.

Mostly outdoor use, on sidewalks. They're in okay condition. We do get a lot of snow. I don't exactly have a budget, I just have to convince DH whatever I find is worth the money. I'm guessing anything over about $60 will be too much, though. I know a good stroller costs more, but we just can't afford that right now. So we may have to get just a cheap POS for now and save up for something better.

I'm okay with a side to side if those push easier. I mainly want to just be able to get out of the house on foot with them. Whatever works best is fine. We live just blocks away from an area with a bunch of stuff. I like to walk with them and just go shopping or to the park. Right now I pull around a huge step 2 wagon and it kills my back. Not to mention it's not exactly easy to maneuver and I generally have to leave it outside when we stop anywhere. And I hate it being behind me when I'm crossing a road.

What's this one? It looks huge, but it looks like it might be a good deal. yay, nay?

How about this one? I might have a hard time convincing DH of the price, but if it's a really good deal I might manage.

ETA: I'm glad I checked here, I was looking at a few graco doubles since there seem to be several in the $40 range.

Hey, I think that second one I posted is similar to the one Lovin linked. If it is, I'm guessing that's a really good deal, then? It's at least a combi.

Holly

I like the looks of that Combi! I havent had one before though, so no help there.
If it's like the one that lovin suggested, it must be good, she knows her strollers!

lovinwaves

Air tires would be best for what you are wanting, but as you know, with that budget you aren't probably going to end up with a great stroller all around, especially air tires (they tend to cost more). I suggested the Combi because that's the only side by side I could find on your craigslist that was within a decent budget. It's on the shorter side, and some people complain that as the children get older and heavier, it does get harder to push. You could always go and try it out and see what you think.

Air tires will help you glide more easily over uneven surfaces like sidewalks, woodchips, gravel, etc...

Have you considered a bike trailer?

Anne

I hadn't thought of a bike trailer. That could work. Though I seriously couldn't tell you the last time I rode a bike. But I do have one. Anything specific or brands to avoid for those?

amyd

I hadn't thought of a bike trailer. That could work. Though I seriously couldn't tell you the last time I rode a bike. But I do have one. Anything specific or brands to avoid for those?

You don't need to ride a bike to use a bike trailer. I have one with a jogging attachment that includes a front wheel and a handle bar. It's big & bulky to fold, but it's awesome for outside (trails, uneven ground, gravel, etc.).

Lemonade

I have 2 doubles. A Joovy ULTRALIGHT, which is fabulous for stores because it's narrow. I've had it for over a year and it was a very worthwhile purchase for me. My older one walks a bunch in stores and can easily hop on for parking lots. I also like that I can strap him in if need be and use the threat of the seat for not behaving - though we're kind of through that phase at nearly 5yrs old.

I recently got a BJ MICRO double from Albee. I use this for long walks outside where my 4yr old needs a comfortable seat facing forward. (Yes, he walks sometimes but he's just too darn slow.) It's wonderful. I made the mistake of taking it into Kohls once and it was a nightmare trying to get around the racks. The extra few inches of narrowness on the Joovy makes a huge difference.

I used to own a Graco Duoglider. It was great for that first year with DD in her infant bucket and because my DS needed a real seat. But it was bulky and heavy and I was glad to upgrade to the joovy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC