Vent DS has entered the "no way will I let you buckle me!" phase

Mommy0608

It's such a hassle to get him in his seat these days!! I let him climb in by himself, which he can do quite quickly. However, he plays around, turns around the wrong way, wiggles ALL over and kicks me as hard as he can. His feet are right at my stomach level, and when I lean over him to buckle, he can (and does!) kick my face, too. OUCH! :( Oh, and he pulls my glasses off and pulls my hair, too. I know it's just a phase, and I tell other people that all the time when they are having trouble. Now I'm actually in that position myself and know first hand how extremely difficult it is. That's all, just had to vent. :(

ADS

MomToEliEm

Ouch! I sure hope this phase passes quickly.

Is there any way you can make it a game like "beat the clock" and see how quickly he can climb in and get the straps all ready to buckle. Maybe you can even let him do the chest clip buckle part too if he can handle that.

vangelder03

my ds is one day older and we have been having this problem for months now
the only thing that works is letting him hold my cell phone or car keys
and i figured that out by accident

MissAllyLou

We're so there with you! I have her do the chest clip while I do one of the crotch buckles. Then she pushes the second crotch buckle in while I hold the bottom piece and help push ;-) It still takes 5 minutes, but it's better than 10!

Ladyl

My 22 month-old would very much like to ride standing up, leaning his belly on his radian and facing the front of the car, so I can relate! It's amazing how hard it is to move such a little guy. It's like he glues himself to the seat.

Sorry, about getting beaten up! My ds1 was like that in general and now he is a lovey-dovey four-year, so it totally won't last forever.

Mommy0608

I've tried giving him the keys or my phone, but he ends up setting off the alarm or calling someone, so that doesn't work. :rolleyes: He does get to do the chest clip himself, but doesn't always want to. We've also tried a race to see how fast he can get in and sit properly. It worked maybe twice, and then he didn't care about that any more. He gets in and stands in his seat facing the front or stands and plays with the vents in the ceiling. It's incredibly hard to get him to bend and sit down. People in parking lots must think I'm torturing him. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me to turn him around and then he'll be happy. That's not the issue, I don't think he cares about that and of course he will NOT be turning around any time soon.

He's a pain in the rear in shopping carts too. This morning he threw everything he could reach out of the cart and chewed a hole through a bag of frozen veggies. :thumbsdown:

jjordan

My son is about the same age as yours and recently went through a similar phase. Sometimes it helped to tell him that if he got in his seat like a good boy without goofing off, he could buckle his own chest clip, and otherwise I would do it. He seems to be mostly over it now (knock on wood). I hope your ds's phase doesn't last long!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC