when do you use backless boosters

jennsmile

I have a husky and that is ds primary seat till it expires. But my question is when is it appropriate to have a backless booster for grandma's car so I don't have to take his Highback turbo booster for trips with Grandma she could just have it in her car full time?

Jenn

PS DS is almost 5, 45 lbs, and 45 inches. He is also very mature and sits well in his highback turbo booster.

ADS

skaterbabs

Not before 7 or so. Highbacks provide more protection in side impacts, and support sleeping kids better. But that's just my opinion. :twocents:

momof2kiddos

Personally I wouldn't let my kids ride in a backless booster until age 10:whistle:
But why don't you just leave the HHB with her?Or maybe buy another HBB.They are so much safer then a BB.

mominabigtruck

I wouldn't use a backless booster just because unless he is gigantic, which according to your description he's not, there's no way an adult seatbelt will fit right which is a major point of a hbb is that it adjusts the seatbelt. I would just buy an extra turbobooster.

SPJ&E

I would just get another high back booster to keep in her car. I definitely wouldn't use a backless at age 5.

CandCfam

We'll never use a backless if we can escape one.
I feel pretty confident that we will see more HBB with taller limits in the future years, so, unless it's a freak happening, our kids won't use one if there is a HBB alternative.

ETA, and definitely not at age 5.

scatterbunny

I know that backless boosters do not provide any side impact protection or sleep support, and that highback boosters do provide those things, so I'll keep my dd in a highback as long as possible. I do like the idea of keeping backless boosters on hand for friends, though--lots of them are not used to riding in ANYTHING, so putting those kids into a highback can sometimes lead to resistance and problems.

The Turbo comes apart really easily and could be stored in grandma's trunk if she doesn't like it in her car all the time.

Or if you're just looking for something easier to transport, the Compass B510 is AWESOME because it folds flat and has a carry bag. My 48 inch tall, 48 pound dd loves the B510. :)

jennsmile

Thanks, mostly I just wanted to know when it was safe to use a backless. So 7-10 depending on who is replying. We will just keep using his highback booster. And reevaluate it much later.

Jenn

Colleen

We just bought a turbobooster (fairy tales) last week for my 10 yo as her 2nd spare. We got it to be backless when she rides in friends cars, because she gets picked on in her Parkway and Regent, and its eaiser to throw into friends cars. Olivia brings it to school in a tote when friends mums pick her up. She feels a lot better now. When we use it as a spare in MIL's car we use it w/ the back. The day we went to go buy it my SIL came w/ me and she was watching a 3.5-4 yo for the day. We had to take her w/ us for the ride. She has been in a backless booster sence 2! Its the really cheap 14.00 full price NO padding one :( When she got in the back of the van my SIL had to buckle the seat belt for her because she cant yet (if they cant buckle themselves IN a booster, they probally should NOT be in a booster :twocents: ) The first thing the little girl did once we buckled her was to put the shoulder belt behind her back. She must always do this because the the belt rubs her neck. We fixed it and prayed she didn't fall asleep during the 1hr ride and slump over. The worst part is her mum is a nurse! She made a comment about SIL spending WAY TOO MUCH on seats. They live in a big house and can def. afford great seats. I'm BROKE but manged to get my kids appropriate seats! Sorry had to vent.... I dont think kids should in backless till 8 yo, and I think they should only be spare seats.

Simplysomething

I disagree that if a child is unable to buckle themselves into a booster that it means they shouldn't be in one. Only because boosters are kinda hard to buckle into--especially if they are beside another seat.
and that's my:twocents:'s as well.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My kid only uses backless boosters in vehicles with side curtain airbags + lap/shoulder belt in the center position -- which means there must also be a center adjustable headrest.... If the vehicle doesn't have these 3 safety features then my kid uses a dedicated highback booster that has deep head wings filled with energy absorbing foam.

Age isn't the factor. No one is magically safer at the point of impact simply because they're 7 or 10 or 35. Safest practice means keeping kids correctly harnessed for as long as they fit & correctly boostered for as long as they fit. Bakcless boosters are almost useless in side impacts. Side impacts are less common than frontal crashes, but they're also associated with more severe brain/skull injuries. Compass, Britax & Recaro boosters conform to US + european standards while other manufacturers don't test to both.

Last edited:

scatterbunny

There are so many reasons why a child can't buckle a booster, those reasons can vary from vehicle to vehicle and child to child and booster to booster, so I do agree it's probably not fair to say if a child can't buckle his/her own booster, the child shouldn't be in a booster.

Hayley still cannot buckle her own booster. She's almost 6, almost 50 pounds and almost 4 feet tall. It's not that she is lazy and wants mom to do it, it's that she really, truly can't do it (in most vehicles, in most boosters).

That's like saying a 2yo shouldn't be in a harnessed seat because they can't buckle themselves. LOL!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
(if they cant buckle themselves IN a booster, they probally should NOT be in a booster ) >>

LOL, I actually love this... I know it doesn't really work this way in the real world (my 9 and 7 yo's need help when their boosters are crammed together in the ford...), but can you imagine how many kids it would keep harnessed if parents had this mindset???? :D

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I use backless boosters for my 5 yr old at grandma's houses, ONLY because he uses the middle seat w/ lap/shoulder belt.

If he had to sit outboard, he'd be in a highback.

We live 5-7 hour flights away from all the grandparents, so these seats barely get use. Additionally, I chose backless to encourage the grand parents to use them for the older children, my neices. I can dream, right?

Colleen

I didn't intend that if they cant buckle a 5 pt. they shouldn't be in that either. In my case my 10 yo can buckle her booster and has been doing so sence day one. My 5 yo could buckle into a booster (she's never been in one, just pretending to buckle up in big sis booster when I clean the car etc..) sence about 2yo. On the other hand my kids CANT buckle thier 5 pt harness, including my 10 yo Liv who CANT buckle herself into her Regent by herself without a lot of trouble. I think its because the harness is so tight.
Basicly, I was making the point that she still needed adult help just like most toddlers in a 5 pt. I guess I just think of boosters for older kids who most of the time dont need any help. I've always wondered about all the posters who say that thier kids can buckle into 5 pts and not boosters, sence my 2 are the complete opposite. Funny.:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
She can easily learn to loosen the harness first, buckle herself & then you just reach back to check the harness after she tightens it again :)

Colleen

I hear you on the kids not being able to buckle into the booster when thier smooshed together! Today in the backseat of my sable I had a MA, a parkway in the middle (w/ a shoulder belt) and a turbobooster on the end. The kids had to sit in the boosters then I would tilt them to the side to buckle it, then tighten the slack. Cant wait till I get a third row!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC