Evenflo buckle hurts her thighs. What to do?

pepsicola

We just got our daughter a Maestro for my husbands car. Overall we are very happy with it. It was super easy to install with latch and just a nice seat all around. But..the crotch buckle is enormous and pointed at the top and digs into her thighs a bit. My husband said she was upset about it last time she rode in it.

Has anyone else had this problem with their Evenflo seat? What can we do about it? I was thinking of taking the belly pad from an old Britax seat. I know it's not officially allowed but idk what else to do. We really want to keep this seat. Plus idk if we could return it anyways, the box is beat up from her playing with it.

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

Marcus has never complained about his. He has been riding in it for about 2 weeks now. What slot is the crotch strap in? If it is in the closest one, you could try it in the sencond one. Or if you have it on the outside one, it might be to far out & moving it back to the 1st one might help.

I think I would be fine with making the parental decision to use a belly pad. However you might call Evenflo & see what they suggest. They may have another idea as to what might help.

CarSeatPoncho

Can you call Evenflo and see if they can send you a longer crotch strap?

Also, how old is she and is she diaper'd or potty trained?

I think if you taped the box up with clear packing tape and had the receipt, you could still return it. Heck, I've seen boxes on the SHELVES that look like they were beaten up on the loading dock! hth

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I might call Evenflo to see if they would okay you to use a belly pad. I'd call them anyway, if they don't know of such problems/issues, they can't fix it if it is happening often.
I think a belly pad of sorts is probably fine. Like putting a washcloth there.

glockchick

That and the short seat depth were the reasons I bypassed the Maestro in my search. I wound up with a GN in one car that I like except for the head slump and a Frontier that I love in the other.

Ok and the non adjustable headrest and 50 lb limit. ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Not sure if it's the same buckle type, but I did have one family just go on and on complaining about the Triumph buckle digging into their kiddos thighs. She was just 17 months and loved loved loved sitting in the Turbo, I hope they didn't buy it somewhere else after I told them it wasn't safe (sorry to hijack....).
Is it in the furthest out crotch position?

pepsicola

We have it in the closet crotch setting. It came in the farthest position but clearly it was too far out and let her slouch in the seat. The closest setting fits her well. Mommy2marcus's son looks like the buckle sits higher up on him than my daughter, even though she's two years younger and a few pounds lighter(?). I put the belly pad on it & buckled her in. That seems to solve the problem and even though my husband tends to over tighten her harness (which she dosen't mind) I'm a little worried about the thickness of the belly pad interfering with a proper harness fit. If I remember to I will call Evenflo tomorrow and see what they say. I hope they will offer to send me a different style buckle with rounded edges. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

*just wanted to add that yes, I have my 2 year old in a ff seat, but she has 4 car seats and rides rf in the 3 others, and is only in his car 1 day a week on avg ;)

pepsicola

That and the short seat depth were the reasons I bypassed the Maestro in my search. I wound up with a GN in one car that I like except for the head slump and a Frontier that I love in the other.

Ok and the non adjustable headrest and 50 lb limit. ;)

I would really love to get her a Nauti but even on sale that costs 2xs as much as the Maestro. But we scored the Maestro for $65 and expect to get at least 2-3 years out of it. Plus it is 10x better than any other $70 combo seat I've seen.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We've had a few threads with people complaining about this since they changed the buckle design. :( I do think you should call Evenflo and see if they can do anything for you, and get the complaint on file.

glockchick

I would really love to get her a Nauti but even on sale that costs 2xs as much as the Maestro. But we scored the Maestro for $65 and expect to get at least 2-3 years out of it. Plus it is 10x better than any other $70 combo seat I've seen.

I hear you there. I'd have probably gotten it anyway if I didn't need a harnessed seat she'll fit in for a good long time because I only have lap belts in two positions in my truck. So I guess it was mostly the 50 lbs instead of 65 that sealed it's fate.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Oh WOW. That is atrocious.
MY tiny..I mean, coimpletely-under-the charts, TINY 34 month old, was maxing out the leg space on the maestro. He's barely 25 pounds. There was no way I could have buckled my - actually of an appropriate size and age to use the seat - 6 yo into it. That's...crazy.

pepsicola

Oh WOW. That is atrocious.
MY tiny..I mean, coimpletely-under-the charts, TINY 34 month old, was maxing out the leg space on the maestro. He's barely 25 pounds. There was no way I could have buckled my - actually of an appropriate size and age to use the seat - 6 yo into it. That's...crazy.

Oh no. Please do not make me worry that we made a bad purchase :(.
This seat is definitely for keeps now!

Spam

My very large two year old fits fine in the maestro. He's never complained about it hurting anything and rides in at least once a week. He doesn't really have chunky thighs, he's just solid.

100_2237.jpg

pepsicola

My nearly 3 y.o and 4y.o. fit just fine in it...

Please be aware that a recall was issued on some Maestros today as well... DOM from 11/24/09 to 4/9/10. Check your model # and DOM on the recall page.

Here is the link.

Mine is from 7/2010 but the model # is 3101980, which the recall says they start with 310. I'm gonna call them right now to make sure it's ok and also get this buckle sorted out.

EDIT-- Their welcome message said that seats manufactured after the recall dates were not affected. I'm gonna email them about the buckle. They have a long hold time right now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC