Purchasing from Amazon.com

U

Unregistered

It is just me, or is anyone else a little disturbed that you can return car seats within 365 days from amazon.com? I love their prices, but am a little leery to buy a seat from them in fear that it could very well be a "returned" item. Any thoughts? Good/bad experiences?

ADS

CarSeatPoncho

Hmmmmm.... I actually never thought of that. That would not be good, nope, I would not like that at all.

Maybe they returned the "returns" to the manufacturer, who inspects it and repackages it? And orange oompa loompas spill chocolate down an indoor waterfall?

Athena

I think about these things too. :) Diapers.com has the same policy and many retailers accept returns for 90 days. And what about if your seat has been sitting around the store or warehouse for a year, lots of things could have happened to it, although in those cases one hopes it will show by the condition of the box. When I received a seat in a box that was so bashed up it was literally held together by tape, I refused it because it was my feeling that it had been in the equivalent of a collision and I was not comfortable using that seat. Fortunately, the delivery driver was very nice and understanding about it. The only time I've bought a seat from Amazon, it was manufactured the same month I received it, so I figured it was fairly unlikely to be a return. :) But I got really lucky with that.

msg221

Well, according to Amazon's website, the return policy on baby items states:

"Eligible baby items fulfilled by Amazon are easily returned to Amazon.com within 365 days of delivery via our online Returns Center. Returns should be in new and unopened condition.You won't be charged return shipping costs for your return."

If they hold to this, then you couldn't use a car seat and return it a year later. Which I guess is good and bad, since you couldn't buy a seat from them to try in your vehicle just to see if it fits.

scariestone

Both seats I've bought from amazon were very new as they go through stock like crazy. I'm doubtful they sell the returned seats themselves as regular items that get returned they sell in their online "warehouse deals". They don't just reseal them and sell them. Especially with a safety item, I don't think they'd risk it.

poohbear

They are doing this to compete with diapers.com. Everything must be in new, unused condition to return it or they won't accept the return. You can take it out of the box and try it in your car, I'm sure, but obviously they can tell if it's been used. (Think about it like ordering a pair of shoes from a site that has 365 day returns)
The biggest risk they face with carseats is losing a year on their DOM, and honestly, I don't think they much care about that (and sadly, most consumers don't know or realize about DOM).

FWIW - I have ordered car seats and strollers from diapers.com and I order lots from both amazon and diapers.com. I have returned items to diapers.com (never a car seat though) and I think the longest I've ever taken to return anything is maybe 2 months. I can't imagine many people wait a year to return anything. It's just part of their customer service pledge :)

Neatfreak

I had no idea they even had that policy! I actually ordered DD1's GN from Amazon, and didn't think that I had any reason to worry about it as it was a brand new version ...

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Amazon has a "Refurbished & Used Electronics" and "Warehouse Deals" area for returned merchandise. They are pretty clearly indicated as such, along with the condition of the item and a reduced price. I've never noticed this for a carseat, but it is a possibility. I used to sometimes see these refurbished items in the "More Buying Choices" area, but I haven't noticed that lately so maybe they are separated now. I would highly doubt they would resell any opened return item as new. I suppose if someone was really clever and repackaged it perfectly maybe it could slip through, though you run the risk of that anywhere you buy anything.

Eresh

I bought a Blvd 65 TSIP in Aug on clearance from Amazon. It was new/unopened but the DOM was 3/23/10 so I "lost" 5 months.

Athena

I bought a Blvd 65 TSIP in Aug on clearance from Amazon. It was new/unopened but the DOM was 3/23/10 so I "lost" 5 months.

I don't think that's an unusual amount of time between DOM and purchase. My seats have ranged between that month and almost a year later and that's when they were not on clearance or close out.

jsmom

They sell some of the car seats that are returned in bulk lots I believe. There is a company on Ebay that had some seats listed and I asked about one of them and how they got it since it was open box. It was an Amazon return, so the seats are being resold just not on Amazon itself.

momtoo3

I had to return a booster car seat to diapers.com. It had to be in new condition with the tags still attached. It also had to be in the original box. They said the seats are checked inch by inch to make sure they have not been used or they will send it back to you. Their customer service was great. I just tried my son in the seat, he didn't fit properly and called them. They explained the return process and I had my credit 5 days later. They will not accept a return on a used seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC