Which would you choose?

ADS

scatterbunny

I sure do know what you'd pick, Melissa! :p ;) I'm leaning that way, too, based on previous ownership of an Accord, but it's hard when I only paid $4,500 for my nine-year old Accord before, and they want $4,700 for this 10-year old Accord, and I can get a car that's 4-5 years newer (Taurus or Galant) for the same price.

Ugh, why does car shopping have to be so darn difficult? I see pros and cons to each option! Gas mileage, better crash scores, shoulderbelts across all seating positions...

southpawboston

97 accord and 00-01 taurus are contenders.

00-01 galant and 00 sonata are out. too many reliability problems.

refresh my memory, is the 97 accord part of the 94-96 generation, or the 98-03 generation? if it's the older 94-96 generation, then i would definitely lean toward the taurus, from a safety perspective. but if it's part of the 98-03 generation, than i would lean toward it rather than the taurus.

btw, you didn't mention the miles on these cars... that would have a huge influence on my decision.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I vote the '97 Accord, because I have a '96 Accord and love it we haven't had any problems with it and we have had it since 2001. It is sort of depressing when you can get a much newer car for the same price, but think about how much the cars you are looking at will all be worth in 5years from now!

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I have a Galant... a 2004 that we purchased in January of 2005. We got it used through Enterprise Rent a Car.

I've had it for two years and can't complain. We've had to get some brakework done on it but other than that it has been really reliable. Dh is frustrated w/ the turning radius and pick up, but he is comparing it to his V6 Jetta... he also doesn't like the air conditioner controls. :rolleyes: I like it just fine, the turning radius isn't an issue for me and I have to parallel park the car in front of our house 99% of the time.

I have a rear facing Boulevard and a Husky (using LATCH) in the back seat, and for the first year I had just a Husky (seat belt) in the center. Great installs in every position.

I do have to share that the electronic key chain is REALLY $$$$. We only got one w/ the car and found it too expensive to purchase one for dh. We do have an extra key for him though.

anysia

well, it's assuming all of the cars are in fairly comparible shape, body wise, maintenance wise etc. (although i'd run from any hyundai or mitsu unless i really love having spending my time in a shop having repairs done!)

but even with a 150k accord versus a 100k taurus, i'd still have one heck of a lean toward the accord. (ok, so someone would have to pay me to be driving the taurus. i'd take an 82 accord with 400k miles over the 100k 20 year newer taurus. :D )

scatterbunny

See, I like the Taurus better because the backseat is wider and I may be able to fit the Husky in the center, with slim boosters outboard. That is pretty important to me.

But so is gas mileage, and the Accord wins out on that one. I also love how Accords drive. Just love them.

I am so torn!

I only liked the Sonata because it came with a shoulderbelt in the rear middle in the 2000 model, and the Accord (and I think Galant) do not. I am more secure with the Husky installed with a lap/shoulderbelt, just my personal preference, and when Hayley moves to a booster I'd prefer to have her still seated in the middle. So that's a point against the Accord and Galant (I only really liked the Galant because it was similar in size to an Accord and is also a 4 cylinder and gets good gas mileage and a 2000+ that I could afford; can you tell I REALLY want a NEW car? :p ).

skaterbabs

I'd go with the Ford or the Hyundai - but then, having lap/shoulder belts in all seating positions is #1 on *MY* list of must-haves.

scatterbunny

Yes, right now I am really leaning toward the Taurus.

These ones, 2001-2003, stand out to me (but we won't be shopping/looking at cars until the weekend, so these will probably be gone by then):

http://eugene.craigslist.org/car/290313921.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/301373855.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/301534453.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/302091482.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/car/305489559.html

Here's the ONE Accord in my price range that isn't pushing 200K miles already:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/car/303879671.html

All the other 97 Accords between $4K-$5K in my area that I can find have 180K-220K miles already. :eek:

There are two Windstars I'm drawn to, but I drive around town, 20-30mph roads with tons of stop signs and stop lights, at least 10 times a week, 5-20 miles each time, depending on what errands we're running. Because of that I really do want something with better gas mileage. The Windstar only gets a mile or two per gallon better gas mileage than the MPV I just got rid of; the Taurus isn't GREAT, but it is better than the Windstar. And it has the elusive shoulderbelt in the center backseat, so I can keep Hayley there when she moves into a booster.

scatterbunny

Mark is pushing HARD for a Windstar. It does get better gas mileage than my Mazda MPV did, so it's an improvement...and I'd be going from a 94 to a 99 or 00, which is awesome, and I'd finally have a shoulderbelt in the center spot where I want Hayley's seat, and I'd feel much safer, side impact-wise, in a minivan like the Windstar. I found one in our price range with only 70K miles, with dual power sliding doors, that Mark loves (and secretly, I really do, too!).

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Aww Jenny it sounds like you really want the Windstar. And if your hubby wants that also I would go for it. It sounds like you would be a lot happier with it and it is a nice van!! Do you have a link for the one you found?

scatterbunny

Yes, honestly, gas mileage was a top priority at first so I wanted a car, no question, but hopefully a car large enough to keep her in the center in the Husky and also have a shoulderbelt in the center for when she needs a booster...but we just love vans, before having Hayley we had an awesome conversion van that we camped in all the time. Sold it due to gas mileage. I liked my MPV except for the fact that it was old enough that Hayley's super-safe center spot had a crappy lapbelt that didn't work with the Husky, and of course is useless when she goes to a booster, AND the MPV got crappy gas mileage.

The Windstar is only a couple miles per gallon better than the MPV, but it's a way nicer van IMO, has a bit more cargo space from what I can tell, has sliding doors on both sides. It's just a nice mom-mobile, which is what I always wanted, even with only one child. :p

Here's the two I've bookmarked:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/car/304247736.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/304532002.html

I like the looks of the silver (older) one better, but it has more miles. The burgundy one doesn't have power sliding doors or rear air (it doesn't sound like), and I'm sure is missing other options compared to the silver one.

And I'm sure my mom will try sway me back towards a car, and tomorrow I'll be all confused again. :ROTFLMAO:

southpawboston

tough call between the two. fewer miles and newer, but less features, versus older, more miles, but more features and sharp looking (except for what appears to be a gash below the right side sliding door?).

maybe you should check them both out if they're not too far from where you are.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC