Traveling by myself with both kids

rodentranger

I'm flying from Seattle to San Diego with both of my kids by myself for a week.
I have a FR, GN, 2 MAs, a CA, an XTSL, and a nearly expired Wizard. My plan is to bring a backpack for each of us and one rolling suitcase with the rest of our stuff.

Which seat should I bring for which kid? I'm leaning towards a MA or WZ for my 20 mo old since I can borrow a GoGo Kids and I know I can install it easily in a rental car. For my almost 4 yo, I'm leaning toward the XTSL since I can carry it backpack style and he has the option of rf in the car. My only problem is if they give me a car I can't get a good installation in.

I am renting a car when I get there, but there is a shuttle from the airport to the rental place. They were confused when I asked if I could install my seats on the shuttle. It's an 18-20 foot bus.

Last edited:
ADS

babyherder

I like your plan. If you can't install the radian rf in your rental car install it ff. I wouldn't worry about an almost 4 yr old ff, especially if you've already tried rf and it doesn't work.

MomToEliEm

Who are you renting the car from? What class of vehicle did you indicate? With that info, we may be able to figure out which group of vehicles they might give you. I think the radian and the wizard sound like good options if the radian will install well in your vehicle.

Do you have seats for both of your kids on the airplane? If so, you may want to carry some FAA documentation indicating that you can install the carseats in the same. There are a few flight attendants who think only one seat by the window is allowed, but the FAA documentation does indicate that you can have two if you are traveling as a family unit and you don't block your access to the aisle.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes

LittlePeanut

I would bring the MA or Wizard and the XTSL (and be willing to install FF for the nearly 4 y/o if required). The XTSL is great on planes too since the tray table can come all the way down. It also folds to fit down the aisle but I HIGHLY recommend a folding trolley for pulling it around the airports.

rodentranger

Who are you renting the car from? What class of vehicle did you indicate? With that info, we may be able to figure out which group of vehicles they might give you. I think the radian and the wizard sound like good options if the radian will install well in your vehicle.

Do you have seats for both of your kids on the airplane? If so, you may want to carry some FAA documentation indicating that you can install the carseats in the same. There are a few flight attendants who think only one seat by the window is allowed, but the FAA documentation does indicate that you can have two if you are traveling as a family unit and you don't block your access to the aisle.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes

Thank you for the links! I did end up buying seats for each kid after laying awake for hours worrying about how I would keep Little Man on my lap for a 3 hour flight. I really don't have the money, but what can you do? I will be getting a Mazda 6 or similar sized car through Advantage Rentals.

I would bring the MA or Wizard and the XTSL (and be willing to install FF for the nearly 4 y/o if required). The XTSL is great on planes too since the tray table can come all the way down. It also folds to fit down the aisle but I HIGHLY recommend a folding trolley for pulling it around the airports.
I am installing both seats ff on the plane for ease of peacekeeping. They will need to take turns getting to look out the window too so I don't have wars about it. I plan on swapping each leg of the trip down. I have the rf boot packed into the checked luggage well padded with clothing. I will be borrowing a pair of GoGo Kidz wheels for lugging the seats and kids through the airports (two hour layover in Phoenix...yay.)
I am pretty much attacking the plane rides and airports with an attitude of "Whatever I need to do to keep the peace." Complete with a post-security stop at McD's for shakes and nuggets.:D
Would you take the rf d-rings?

LittlePeanut

Would you take the rf d-rings?

I would. If you have room, I would take the boot on as carry on. I just worry about lost or delayed baggage. If it doesn't make it, be prepared to use the radian FF in the vehicle as well.

Otherwise, you plan and outlook sounds good :thumbsup: Good luck and I hope all the worrying is for nought.

Qarin

I'd take the d-rings.

Also, when installing the Britax convertible forward-facing on the airplane, remember to either flip the buckle or, better, get a seatbelt extension from a flight attendant! Otherwise, I guarantee you'll be the last off the plane, with the captain and all the flight attendants doing their best not to destroy the airplane's seat to get your car seat out.

rodentranger

I would. If you have room, I would take the boot on as carry on. I just worry about lost or delayed baggage. If it doesn't make it, be prepared to use the radian FF in the vehicle as well.

Otherwise, you plan and outlook sounds good :thumbsup: Good luck and I hope all the worrying is for nought.
Because I'll be traveling by myself, I was trying to only take one backpack as my carry-on bag since I'll be trying to wrangle the boys and lug the seats. I don't think I'll have room for the boot in my backpack. I will try though.

I'd take the d-rings.

Also, when installing the Britax convertible forward-facing on the airplane, remember to either flip the buckle or, better, get a seatbelt extension from a flight attendant! Otherwise, I guarantee you'll be the last off the plane, with the captain and all the flight attendants doing their best not to destroy the airplane's seat to get your car seat out.
Ugh, so many decisions. Sometimes I hate being educated. On one hand, I want to rf him since he won't be able to kick the seat in front of him and I keep reading that it is a much easier installation. But then he has to be the window seat and my Big Guy will enjoy the view so much more and Little Dude wouldn't be able to color. And they'll hit each other and scream "Go'way!" the whole flight. Too bad I can't sit between them.

rodentranger

The Gogo Kidz I am borrowing don't work with my XTSL. I'm not going to buy the strap thingy for $25 for the thing if it isn't even mine. The Traveling Toddler strap also doesn't work with my XTSL and suitcase combination.
So, I'm left with the XTSL on my back, my backpack on my front, the GGK with the MA in one hand, my suitcase in the other hand, and only verbal control of my 4 year old.
This should be fun.
I really don't want to use two MAs...

babyherder

When its the little one's turn by the window you could install rf. Then install him ff when its his turn in the middle. (I'm assuming there's a reason you can't rf in the middle that I'm not aware of since I avoid taking me on airplanes let alone any kids!). Or you could install the seats the way you want and strap them in really tight. And put in earplugs. And only remove them when the plane lands.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The airlines usually insist that the RF seat be by the window, to prevent it from hindering access to the aisle in an emergency.

My RFer totally colors in her lap. I bring a notebook/notepad and a bag of crayons and she props it on her legs. Does it all the time. :)

You don't have to buy the Radian's carry strap; got a luggage strap from a duffel or something? Any sturdy, clip-on strap will do. Sometimes thrift stores even have a box of them for 50 cents or so (I know mine does.)

Eclipsepearl

Wouldn't be easier to go to Kmart or Target and just pile both seats on a metal foldable luggage cart? Use some bungee cords to secure them. Pull that behind you and make sure to have a good baby carrier (not a "crotch dangler" which don't fit 20 month olds) when he can't walk. Backpack on back and at least one hand is free.

Those luggage carts work much better than those Gogokidz thingies (at a fraction of the price).

Did you try putting them on your stroller? Depends on the model of both the seats and the stroller.

To clarify, you CAN rf in a middle seat, in the middle section if there are aisles on both sides (kind of the defition of middle section, I know). You can't put a car seat on the aisle or between a person and the window in a window row (sorry to be obvious). You are allowed to rf per the manufacturer's instuctions, as long as the child still fits the height and weight limits. These are FAA rules on the links provided.

rodentranger

Wouldn't be easier to go to Kmart or Target and just pile both seats on a metal foldable luggage cart? Use some bungee cords to secure them. Pull that behind you and make sure to have a good baby carrier (not a "crotch dangler" which don't fit 20 month olds) when he can't walk. Backpack on back and at least one hand is free.

Those luggage carts work much better than those Gogokidz thingies (at a fraction of the price).

Did you try putting them on your stroller? Depends on the model of both the seats and the stroller.

To clarify, you CAN rf in a middle seat, in the middle section if there are aisles on both sides (kind of the defition of middle section, I know). You can't put a car seat on the aisle or between a person and the window in a window row (sorry to be obvious). You are allowed to rf per the manufacturer's instuctions, as long as the child still fits the height and weight limits. These are FAA rules on the links provided.

I'm not taking a stroller at all and I physically can't wear YDS. Not only does he hate it, but it's too much weight on my pelvis and I pretty much can't walk. He's almost 30 lbs.
I tried my mom's luggage cart, but it's crazy heavy and I think the way I described above will actually work alright. I think ODS will be happy to cooperate and be "Mommy's Super Helper" through the airports. He's usually pretty good when we go to the zoo or wherever. He typically stays pretty close and listens well. If I have to, I can make him wear the monkey backpack harness and caribiner it to the suitcase or a backpack strap.
I'll be checking my luggage too, so I'll only have to be totally bogged down with no free hands from baggage claim to the car shuttle.

jnamommy

When I flew with my two kids alone, they were almost 4 and almost 2. ds thought pushing the GGK with dd's carseat was the best thing ever. It totally kept him occupied and close to me

rodentranger

The airlines usually insist that the RF seat be by the window, to prevent it from hindering access to the aisle in an emergency.

My RFer totally colors in her lap. I bring a notebook/notepad and a bag of crayons and she props it on her legs. Does it all the time. :)

You don't have to buy the Radian's carry strap; got a luggage strap from a duffel or something? Any sturdy, clip-on strap will do. Sometimes thrift stores even have a box of them for 50 cents or so (I know mine does.)

I didn't even see your post, KQ.:eek:
Well stink. They might just have to both rf if the rf'er has to be by the window. I really think ODs will enjoy the window more than YDS will.
I tried using the LATCH strap through the ff beltpath and a big O-ring to attach them both to with the GGK, but the seat sits so low that the bottom pretty much touched the ground. The special strap thingy has grommets and cleats so you can use the thumb screws to hold it higher up.

LittlePeanut

Another sugestion (or two). The 4 y/o can ride in the GGK though the airport. What I would choose to do it bring along 2 extra bungee cords and bungee it to the MA on the GGK. You can either do them stacked directly on top of each other or invert the XTSL and place it on the MA and then bungee around the GGK.

rodentranger

Another sugestion (or two). The 4 y/o can ride in the GGK though the airport. What I would choose to do it bring along 2 extra bungee cords and bungee it to the MA on the GGK. You can either do them stacked directly on top of each other or invert the XTSL and place it on the MA and then bungee around the GGK.

If the 4 yo or the XTSL are in the MA on the GGK, where is my 2 yo?:D I can't wear him. As much as it would make things easier, it ain't happenin'.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC