Thoughts on singleton outboard

NewEngland

So please tell me whether my logic is flawed...and provide any statistics on correctly-used outboard carseats vs. incorrectly-used center carseats :eek:

Background: I went to a carseat check 2 or 3 weeks ago because I couldn't remember whether I had ever gotten the TF checked in one of our cars (99 Chrysler Concorde). Well, it was installed correctly, but I got a short statement about how the center was the safest spot for a carseat. The two techs and I tried to get it in the center--it was a slow check--but it didn't work for us so we put it back behind the driver.

For the Chrysler, the center install is not acceptable, but the outboard install is excellent. Case closed, not really too much to argue about. Now on to the 06 Subaru. I can put the carseat in the center, with an acceptable install (outboard is better, though). However, when I put it in the center, dh complains a ton about having to cliimb into the car to strap ds in. Because of that, I've always just had ds outboard. My reasoning is that I have enough trouble training dh to correctly put the kiddo into the seat anyway, why make it more difficult. Am I correct in thinking that a child who is correctly strapped into an outboard seat is safer than a child who is loosely strapped into a middle seat, or am I kidding myself and being lazy? We all keep talking about "fits your car, fits your child, fits your budget, and is used correctly every time" so I've been making it easy for dh to figure out, but now I'm wondering whether I'm just being lazy. My other thought is that we're planning on another kid within the next 1-2 years, so they'll both be outboard then...

I guess I'm asking whether this is a battle that you would fight with your dh, particularly since it would hopefully be a short-term victory anyway. I won the rear-facing-to-the-weight-limit-of-the-carseat battle, so I'm trying to decide whether this is also a hill to die on. And since I won that battle very literally (as in, literally to the weight limit of our current seat. We will not buy a new seat; 35 lbs is it. Since ds is only 26-27 lbs at 20 months, I should be good 'till 3.), I need good, current statistics to back up whatever I say.

And just for reference, the techs at the check were very helpful. They had all the info I needed to call the Chrysler dealership so I can get a tether anchor installed next year at some point. However, neither one had ever seen a TF before; are they very unusual? I bought the first before I found this site, so I didn't think so, but now I'm not so sure. Also, the techs there told me that >90% :eek: of all carseats are installed incorrectly. Is this actually true? And if so, how do you know? One of the techs told me that I had the first correctly installed carseat she had ever seen in 3 years of checks. Is that possible, or is that just a nice line to feed to parents to make them feel better? Because it seems a little extreme to me; 10-30% seems much more plausible. Jeez, I'm nervous enough driving anyway, I don't need more worries in my life.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My reasoning is that I have enough trouble training dh to correctly put the kiddo into the seat anyway, why make it more difficult. Am I correct in thinking that a child who is correctly strapped into an outboard seat is safer than a child who is loosely strapped into a middle seat, or am I kidding myself and being lazy?

Nope, I'm right with you on that. I actually moved my dd out of a harnessed seat and into a booster in my dh's car because he was incapable of installing her carseat correctly with any consistency.

However, neither one had ever seen a TF before; are they very unusual? I bought the first before I found this site, so I didn't think so, but now I'm not so sure.

It depends on the area you're in. I see all kinds of seats at our local checks, but last month I was at a check just 3 hours away and none of the techs had ever seen a Britax in use, and we had nothing but Evenflo, Cosco, and Graco seats that day - over 300 seat checks.

Also, the techs there told me that >90% :eek: of all carseats are installed incorrectly. Is this actually true? And if so, how do you know? One of the techs told me that I had the first correctly installed carseat she had ever seen in 3 years of checks. Is that possible, or is that just a nice line to feed to parents to make them feel better? Because it seems a little extreme to me; 10-30% seems much more plausible. Jeez, I'm nervous enough driving anyway, I don't need more worries in my life.

Nope, it's true. I've had one seat with no corrections in the 3+ years I've been a tech, and that was a newborn in an infant seat where the nurses had already showed them how to tighten the harness, and Dad got "lucky" with an ideal fit of the infant base + his car. (I shouldn't say "lucky" because he had done a very good job of reading the manual and following the instructions thoroughly, but I've had parents do the same and still end up completely stumped because of issues with the install.)

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I'm with you too :) Properly restrained outboard is better than not properly restrained center. The center is the safest because it is the furthest from any point of impact in the car BUT RF children are so much safer anyway that I do not lose sleep over outboard installs.

And yes, it's true about the percentage of misuse. I've been certified since January and was doing 2 checks per week (until summer hit) and I have only seen 1 seat installed correctly and it was a friend of mine who I had coached over the phone. She just wanted me to double check it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When Piper was an only she bounced around from middle to side practically weekly. It depended on a lot of things. What I tell parents is that rear facing is SO safe, that if you want your child outboard for convenience or for any reason, I won't argue. You're talking about the difference between being perfectly safe, and being slightly safer.

Here's a video I found yesterday. It's a few different crash tests at a million different camera angles, but skip to the 1:24 mark. It's the rear facing outboard child. Even with the crash on that side it is still the most gentle crash of any of the occupants of the car. I don't have injury data, but the forward facing harnessed child on the other side looked to have been more abused during this test than the rear facing child who was closer. So yes, I have no worries about an outboard rear facing child.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C10hE5wrMVM"]YouTube - Crash Test 2010 - 20** Suzuki Swift (Full Test) EuroNcap[/ame]

For the record, Laine has ridden in the middle twice in her life. Otherwise she's been outboard.

Wendy

babyherder

If you're having another child in a few years you could always pass the true fit down (it generally fits newborns well) and get your older child a seat with a higher rf weight limit. You'll probably be fine with the TF but I'd just thought I'd throw that option out there in case you want more seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC