wheelchair conversion minivan--infant/child carseat placement question!

U

Unregistered

My husband needs a wheelchair conversion on a minivan. The company that does the conversion replaces the factory 2nd row seats, with their own (bucket?) seats, which are slightly smaller than the van's factory seats. (the wheelchair enters through the rear of the van, and locks down between two 2nd row seats) Are these seats still safe for carseats? They *look* like normal van seats (no LATCH though). But I was wondering if there were certain specifications or regulations regarding seats the carseats are attached to!

There is also an option for a fold-down 3rd row bench, which provides more optional seating. But I assume that 2 seat bench would only accommodate one carseat, and the carseat would have to be reinstalled every time we used the van since the 3rd row needs to be folded up in order to get the wheelchair in. . . So, I am hoping the two converted bucket seats will be OK for carseats.

We can only afford ONE vehicle, so the van has to accommodate the whole family, which means 1-2 carseats and the wheelchair. . .HELP! Anyone here familiar with wheelchair conversion minivans???

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As long as the seatbelts are structurally anchored to the vehicle, they should be fine for car seats. Sometimes conversion vans end up with really long buckle stalks that can be problematic for car seat installs, so you might want to make sure they'll use a style of seatbelt that will allow easy installs of car seats. Also, make sure that all seating positions have lap/shoulder belts, as lap-only belts are only good for a harnessed seat and even large ones will eventually be outgrown, and look into whether tether anchors can be installed for those positions if they do not come equipped with tether anchors. Adjustible head supports are also a plus.

Another issue with wheelchairs is projectiles. Make sure if he has any accessories, bags, other medical equipment there is a place to safely secure them so in a crash they would not go flying around and injure any occupants.

Also, whenever possible transfer to a vehicle seat and securing the wheelchair is the safest mode of transport for your husband. I don't know what his condition is that requires a wheelchair, what your physical capabilities are as far as assisting him to transfer, and it may or may not be possible, but it's something to consider.

And, securing the wheelchair itself. Is the wheelchair WC19 compliant? If so, learn to properly secure it and make sure the modifications they make include a properly fitted lap/shoulder belt for your husband if he is to ride in the chair in the vehicle. If not, how will it be secured? Make sure the work done leads to the most secure attachment possible of the wheelchair to the van, and the best possible seatbelt fit for your husband (if he will ride in the chair rather than transferring.)

Good luck!

Dillipop

Have you considered getting a conversion van that enters from the side? My SIL had one that the ramp came out the side door and the rear bench was the factory installed bench from Toyota. Her conversion was the Sienna. I think the Honda Odyssey also converts from the side and there may be another maker that comes in from the side.

The great thing about having the Sienna as their conversion was that the back bench came with 2 top tether anchors- passenger side and center. To convert this years model, you'll end up with only 1 though. The wheel chair was tied down in the center of the vehicle. The year they got their van, they had the option of getting rails to attach the captains chairs to. So, they were able to seat 6, plus the wheelchair or 7 without it. They were a family of 6 at the time and needed all available seating, which is why they ended up with the Sienna.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC