Vent XTSL Rear-facing LATCH

mamakc

Is there somewhere to report this obvious design flaw and trigger a recall or some sort of action?

I am so tired of the stupid latch strap coming loose on it's own. I know this has been an issue with many many (if not all) SL users. It's clearly a design flaw that SKJP is not acknowledging. I've talked to Russ at SKJP about it and he's very much in denial. It's not loosening "over time" like they all supposedly do. It's every time. Every car ride. How am I supposed to trust that the thing will hold in an accident?

I know I can use the seatbelt, but I want to be able to use LATCH. I'm SUPPOSED to be able to use LATCH if I want to, darn it! lol

ADS

macmomma

Any idea why it is coming loose? I only had my Radians for about 3 weeks now and they are still very, very tight- went to a seat check last Saturday and they were very impressed with my installs.

Thus far I had no issues..... not saying that they will not arise:eek:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I also haven't had any problems.

What car do you have, and what seating position are you using? Where are the anchors located? (i. e., deep inside the seat bight, protruding from the seat)

You can report potential problems to NHTSA (sorry, I can't link right now, but hopefully someone will be along to do so.)

In the meantime, if the LATCH loosens upon each use, you MUST stop using LATCH and install with the seatbelt instead.

mommy-medic

I've had mine almost a year and it has only come loose once- when my DD was climbing in "by herself" and stepped on the adjuster with her shoe, forcing it down a tad. Do you have an "I do it myself"er in your household as well?

When I install mine (driver's side), I get on the passenger side and pull the slack of the latch strap back through the path- then I brace my feet on the side of the seat and PULL- while having my 11 yo DD press down on the foot part- right at the vehicle seat bight. I realize this is a little unconventional and shouldn't be necessary, but it works.

mamakc

The anchors are neither deep, nor protruding lol so I guess... average? The latch plate is close to the rf belt path and I guess that's what keeps it from locking. There have been times where I've gotten it to stay for a while. I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle. Before that I had a 2003 Ford Taurus and had the same issue. I know I need to use the seatbelt, I am just wishing I didn't have to because it causes such a tilt in the seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You know, now that I think about it, I VAGUELY remember reading a thread before where someone else was having this problem due to the placement of their anchors or the contours of their vehicle.

I certainly wouldn't say it's widespread, but there probably are situations where LATCH doesn't work (or doesn't work well).

Unless it's a problem across the board, I'm not sure it's worthy of a recall or design change. Sometimes certain seats just aren't compatible with certain vehicles (at least not in every seating position or with every installation method). Sometimes things just don't work out the way we hope they will. :(

Mae

No, I've heard of this problem, too. It's because of the new design of the ... the thing. I don't know what to call it, so here is a picture below.

The older models, you had to push the button to loosen the LATCH, whereas the SL models, it's kind of like a lap only belt or a locking latchplate -- if the metal part falls just right on the side of the Radian, it will loosen it because you don't have to push a button.

Non SL on top, SL on bottom -- You can see that there's an actual button you have to push, whereas on the SL seats, you just lift the metal tab.

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8968.jpg

mine come loose in my minivan when rear facing because of where the latch retractor hits the seat.. I use seat belt to install it in there instead.

mamakc

1) Do you think I can use the old style strap on the SL while DS is rear-facing? That push-button variety would totally solve the problem.

2) If yes, would SKJP possibly send me one for free?

Reactions: Mae

Mae

1) Do you think I can use the old style strap on the SL while DS is rear-facing? That push-button variety would totally solve the problem.

2) If yes, would SKJP possibly send me one for free?

That's a good question. I'd definitely give them a call and see what they say. You'll have to update us on their answer, too. :thumbsup:

The Customer Service Department hours of operation are:

Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM (PST)

The toll free number is 888-336-7909.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I doubt they'd allow that, just for fear that someone would continue using it beyond the allowable weight. (Not that a person couldn't do that anyway, but I'd be surprised if Sunshine Kids sanctioned it. Then again, they've okay'd some weird things in the past, so who knows.)

autumnlily

I have this issue both FF and RF in my Toyota Sienna with both of my RN65SL seats. Captain chairs, 8th seat and bench. I'm working on compiling all of my photo's for Russ. He was in complete denial and insisted on going over the installation process. I told him I was a tech and have owned Radians (both non-SL and SL). I reassured him I was installing it correctly - not tightening top tether first or with too much force, using the side slot to pull the LATCH strap through, using my body to push Radian into seat while removing slack. I've tried with recline and without recline when FF. I start off with rock solid installs and within a week have loosening.

I want to add - we have been using the RN65SL FF in my parents 2005 Prius. It is only occupied 1 - 3 times a week and I have not seen it loosen.

I never encountered this issue with the original Radian. And, despite Russ insisting "all seats loosen over time" - I have not experienced LATCH loosening issues prior to the SL series.

I do believe it is a flaw. And, for a lay person - who is not aware and vigilant on checking their installs with each use... it could be dangerous. My seat has gone from 'rock the car' solid to over 1" movement in less than one week.

Yes, I use a seat belt install now - but that defeats the purpose of LATCH and meeting federal safety standards if they are not useable.

If SKR is replacing with the old version LATCH - I'm appalled (and quite frankly concerned to know if it was crash tested with their new seats). If their LATCH strap is not compatible in certain vehicles - they need to make a huge disclaimer stating it.

I know certain seats aren't compatible in certain cars but it is often apparent during the install - but when a child restraint appears to be compatible during the initial install and then become incompatible ~ I believe it is worth questioning and reporting.

Perhaps my reaction is overboard - I'd love to hear how other situations have been reported or handled in the CR world when something is found out of the norm.

Last edited:

canadiangie

I have most certainly heard of this issue.

Think of the adjuster on the SL LATCH strap as a locking latchplate on a lap only belt. Now recall what happens to that latchplate if the angle isn't just so. It slips. IRL we flip these latchplates over a half twist, or twist the buckle stalk down to help adjust the angle of the latchplate in relation to the belt path. Either way if the latchplate (in this case LATCH strap adjuster) slips its a problem. And it's nothing new, and it's not rocket science. But we can't put a half twist in a LATCH strap :p nor can we adjust how the LATCH anchors sit in the vehicle seat crease. So in cases like this the parent has few options. Best to switch to a seatbelt install, or in this case SK has apparently decided to send OP an original LATCH strap. Risky as the manual is going to talk up and down about using LATCH to 65lbs which is NOT okay with an original SK LATCH strap.

mamakc

Perhaps my reaction is overboard - I'd love to hear how other situations have been reported or handled in the CR world when something is found out of the norm.

I don't think you're overboard. I feel the same way, with typical use this problem could be a disaster.

Best to switch to a seatbelt install, or in this case SK has apparently decided to send OP an original LATCH strap. Risky as the manual is going to talk up and down about using LATCH to 65lbs which is NOT okay with an original SK LATCH strap.

SKJP Did tell me that I would need to switch to a seatbelt install at 40 or 48 depending on my car (48 for mine, which is fine because I only intend to use the old LATCH strap for RF). I have gotten perfect installs with super latch FF so I will go back to super latch when that comes. Seatbelt installs in my vehicle are very difficult so that's why I'm trying to make LATCH work. That and the principle involved... lol

autumnlily

SKJP Did tell me that I would need to switch to a seatbelt install at 40 or 48 depending on my car (48 for mine, which is fine because I only intend to use the old LATCH strap for RF). I have gotten perfect installs with super latch FF so I will go back to super latch when that comes. Seatbelt installs in my vehicle are very difficult so that's why I'm trying to make LATCH work. That and the principle involved... lol

I would encourage you to call SKJP back and ask them if the original LATCH strap they have sent you has been crash tested with the new Radian and it's new base (especially since you are using it rear facing). If I recall, the company would not allow the new SL LATCH straps to work retroactively with the old Radians....

natalie77

I would encourage you to call SKJP back and ask them if the original LATCH strap they have sent you has been crash tested with the new Radian and it's new base (especially since you are using it rear facing). If I recall, the company would not allow the new SL LATCH straps to work retroactively with the old Radians....

:yeahthat: Because I called to see if I could purchase an SL LATCH strap for my RN80 seat and they said no it wasn't tested with that so it wasn't ok. I would think that would be the same thing??

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
But the seat design of the base and seat itself didn't change significantly-- not in shape or anything. Only the materials changed, and the LATCH straps. Right? The reinforcement bar and new base WERE available with the old LATCH straps, so as long as the design is the same I'd trust that they will perform the same.

Mae

Even still, as long as you don't use the LATCH beyond the limits (of whatever limits YOUR specific seat is, NOT your LATCH straps) I really don't see a difference. It's the same seat. With different LATCH straps.

Use your seat, with LATCH, to the maximum limit of your seat. Don't use the LATCH to the maximum limits of the LATCH strap.

If they okay'd it, they okay'd it.

ETA -- I need to clarify, because when you post at 2:30AM, it has a tendency to not make sense. ;)

If you have a non-SL seat and they send you SL straps, only use LATCH to the limits of your specific seat (non SL's are 48lbs).
If you have a SL seat and they send you non-SL straps, only use LATCH to the limits of the LATCH straps. -- Honestly, I don't even know if I'd be completely comfortable with that, either. When did they do the redesign of the seats? It must have been 9/08, because that is when they stated there were structural changes and would allow 40+ for RF. So ... how long to use LATCH (with non-SL LATCH straps) on an original SL seat? Um ... Good question. The seats weigh roughly the same, correct? I think that I would factor in the differences.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC