Flying USAir--Want to RF

cat mommy

Their policy is "A safety seat may face backwards if the infant weighs less than 20 pounds. For infants weighing between 20 and 40 pounds, the safety seat must face forward." DD will be over 20 pounds when we fly; not sure if DS will be 20 pounds yet. They will be just barely 1 year (actual age) and not yet 1 year (adjusted age). I will be taking airplane approved convertible seats and want them RF. What info should I bring with me to make sure I don't have a problem?

Thank you.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't know the docs offhand, but will they yet be 22lbs? If not, many seats cannot FF until 22lbs, and I would point out that to the flight attendants.

There are definitely FAA regs that allow you to RF your seat; in addition to printing them out, you can ask the flight attendant to show you where in the manual it requires that your seat be installed FFing. (Note: it says it must be installed ON a FF seat, not that the seat must be installed FFing.)

skylinphoto

You could always take infant seats (with high limits that fit larger babies) and they probably wouldnt even ask about lo's in infant carriers since most people think 'baby' when they see these. Plus, they'd HAVE to be RFing since those seats dont FF. Just a thought. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you do have a problem, and asking to see the manual, bringing documents, instruction manual of the carseat etc. doesn't work, you'll have to comply or be kicked off, but document it. Document everything. Ask for names and write them down. Write down flight number. Write down EXACTLY what was said.

This kind of problem, when it occurs, can't be corrected if complaints aren't filed.

leighi123

If they are close to 20lbs, but a few lbs over, I'd lie and say they are still 20lbs. Its not like they have a scale to weigh kids on the plane.

cat mommy

Thanks so much! :love:

I can't do the buckets cause they are going to be outgrowing those by height very, very, very soon. But, I doubt they will be 22 pounds in November and the seats we will use (Complete Airs) require 22 pounds for FF. So that's good! I can always say, truthfully, they weighed 19 and 17 pounds when we last weighed them. I'll just have to hope they don't pull out the luggage scale!

henrietta

Thanks so much! :love:

I can't do the buckets cause they are going to be outgrowing those by height very, very, very soon. But, I doubt they will be 22 pounds in November and the seats we will use (Complete Airs) require 22 pounds for FF. So that's good! I can always say, truthfully, they weighed 19 and 17 pounds when we last weighed them. I'll just have to hope they don't pull out the luggage scale!

They also must be 34" tall to forward face in the Dorel seats (Cosco, Safety First, Eddie Bauer). It's a rule of the manufacturers.

(-:

LittlePeanut

I've lied before when they asked knowing what they were implying :)

FA: How much does the baby weigh?
ME: 19 lbs, why?
FA: Oh because if he was over 20 lbs you'd have to FF but he's not so you're fine.
ME: Oh, ok. Good to know. (He was 24 lbs at the time ;))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC