Go Get a New Seat

scoutingbear

So, my Dad ordered me to go get a new seat the other day! :D Right now I have Maddie in a Scenera in his '99 Suburban because my CCO and Radian are imcompatible with it. (At least in the center seating positions which is where she needs to go since it is lap belt only and no head rests...C goes in the other lap belt position in his GN.)

Here are the requirements:
-Must install somewhat easy. He is having a hard time with getting the angle correct on the Scenera even using rolled towels. It takes 2 people due to the squishy seats. (He likes the KF that we have on loan from a friend, but that is in dh's car because our friends took our radian...long story.)
-Must fit newborns. Even though Maddie is 2 months, she is still tiny! With no torso.
-Must be a bit "skinnier" of a seat. She mostly will be center of 3rd row with an adult and A (in his RSTV if needed, otherwise a turbo) when the car is full. The Scenera does provide the room for the adult and A fits comfortably in the RSTV.
-Cost is a factor. Yes, we will use the seat to its limits, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on a seat right now. My plan was to get a new scenera when this one expires (December), but I need to rethink it!
-Must be a convertible. I don't like the bucket seats, I never use it out of the car, and she rides in convertibles most of the time in mine and dh's cars.

ADS

PHaley

Hi, Just wanted to comment that your DD/Maddie was born the same day as mine, weighing the same too! :)

RE: your carseat search...how about an Onside Air from Kmart/Sears? or an Avenue? or a Symphony?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The OnSide Air and Avenue are going to install about the same as the Scenera; if you don't like one you probably won't like the other, and the Avenue won't fit a newborn, either. Not sure if the OnSide will (it seems very similar to the Avenue.) Complete Air has the same issues.

The Symphony is rather wide. (All the larger Evenflo seats are, really.) Ditto the MyRide.

I really can't think of much that meets those criteria. Titan or Tribute, maybe? I don't know if he'd like one of those any better than the Scenera, but they're slightly differently shaped, fairly thin-ish, and fit newborns well. That's all I can honestly think of.

Evolily

I saw someone use a seat that sits very high on it's base (think recaro, britax, myride, etc) and have it puzzled reasonably well with a turbobooster. But it would probably leave all but the skinniest adult cramped

Aside from that... titan, tribute, or comfortsport :eek: are the only ones I can think of that meet your qualifications. Or could you do an RSTV in the center? I'm not sure where the tether anchors are in a suburban.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd look at the Titan. It is outgrown sooner than some but is quite padded and easy to install. I really like mine. Oh, and it fits tiny babies very well (the bottom slot is only 5")

Then the Tribute. It will have less padding but should still be fairly easy to install.

scoutingbear

The RSTV can't be used in the center as there are no tethers. Dad doesn't want to install them because he is sure his car will die "any day now" (it has about 250000 miles on it). :rolleyes: Yet it is the vehicle we take whenever we go anywhere with them. Does the MR sit up high enough there would be room for puzzling? With the scenera there was room enough for my leg to slightly go under it when I sat in the 3rd row with her. (I just want an excuse to get a MR since it won't fit 3 across in our cars!) Or, with her rate of growth, do I just break down and get a bucket seat? Grrrr...I so wanted the scenera to be the solution to the back up seat/grandparent seat. But if he cant' install it without help (and mom is hopeless), it is a no go. :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I find the Comfort Sport to have some install issues too, so I wouldn't try that. The MR is usually an easy install but even though the booster would probably puzzle under, I don't know that it would be comfy to sit next to-- those cup holders are right at the bottom where an adult would get squoosh by them, probably. I really think a Titan (or Tribute) is your best bet if you don't want a bucket.

Evolily

There's always telling dad that if he wants a new seat and ever have the option to have a full car he needs to install a tether :whistle: .

Because, realistically, that is probably his only good option.

Mommy2Marcus

I find the Comfort Sport to have some install issues too, so I wouldn't try that. The MR is usually an easy install but even though the booster would probably puzzle under, I don't know that it would be comfy to sit next to-- those cup holders are right at the bottom where an adult would get squoosh by them, probably. I really think a Titan (or Tribute) is your best bet if you don't want a bucket.

I have sat next to the MR & it was pretty comfortable. I am not small by any means either. My leg slid under the side without the cupholder bothering me. Just sayin!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Right, but in a very cramped situation I worry the contours of the seat would interfere with that in this case. I think the only way to know, would be to try it.

Luckily, BRU carries the MyRide, Titan, and Tribute!

scoutingbear

Hmmm...my friend's aren't using their MR right now. I could swipe a 3rd seat from them...all in exchange for my Radian. :D Then at least I would know without trying to get Dad over to BRU.

Realistically, the car isn't full that often, but it would be nice for something to work when it is!

tarabelle

I puzzled a friend's 6 year old in a turbobooster next to DD's RF MyRide and it fit well, the arms slid right under the cupholder but the cupholder didn't extend into the TB's seating area.. and the girl said she was comfy.

scoutingbear

What about a True Fit? Is it wider or same width as a MR? (It would be RF for a few years). I'll look at the others at BRU today though.

BabyKaykes

Throwing out a suggestion here against your guidelines, but with her current size, what about an always installed OnBoard Air?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
True Fit is wide, and because it's low profile, there's not even a CHANCE that you could fit under it, like there is with the MR.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC