Question Help with high weight RF decision, please!!

trinalb

Hi all!

I am new to this forum (though I have lurked a few times) and have a bunch of questions if any of you wouldn't mind sharing some of your wisdom and expertise. I am looking for a new carseat for DS because he is already approaching the RFing limit on our True Fit and I want to RF him as long as possible. Right now he is 23 months old, 34 1/4 inches, and about 32.5 lbs naked weight. We love our True Fit because of all the convenient features (especially the front-adjust shoulder height and easily removable fabric) but are disappointed he is outgrowing it so quickly. I have weighed it in my mind and I just don't think I could forgive myself if he was injured in an accident because of being FF when I know there are seats available that could RF him longer. I have done some research already but am feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the information, and frustrated by the inconsistency of some of it (like retailers listing different weight limits on some seats than the manufacturer lists on their website), and I am hoping you can help me narrow down the choices.

Here are my "wants" in a carseat, in order of importance, give or take a little:
Highest RF weight limit possible, that will actually be usable (minimum 40 lbs)
Will fit in a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, preferably behind a seat rather than in the centre
Comfortable for DS to sit in, even for long road trips
Front adjuster for shoulder strap length, adjusts easily
Reasonably priced
Easy to install
High top slots for taller child
Adjustable crotch strap
Easily removable fabric for washing
Easy to adjust strap height

Some other features that sound appealing but I am not sure how important they are (and would love some reliable info on this):
True side impact protection
Steel reinforcements

From my research so far, I have found the following high weight limit rear-facing carseats available in Canada:
Evenflo Momentum
Graco My Ride 65
Safety 1st Complete Air
Britax Marathon, Boulevard and Advocate
Radian 65, Premier and XT

AFAIK, all of these are usable up 40 lbs RF and to 65 lbs FF besides the Radians (45 lbs RF) and Complete Air (only to 50 lbs FF). Is that correct? Are there any other seats available in Canada that RF to 40 lbs or more? Am I correct that the Radians are the only seats that RF above 40 lbs?

Which of these seats have the tallest height limits, or are they all about the same? Which are more comfortable width (bum/shoulder) and length-wise (legs when RFing) for an older/bigger child? Is it actually reasonable to expect a child to RF to 45 lbs in the Radians without being terribly uncomfortable?

Are the Britax and Radians the only seats that have steel reinforcements?

From what I have read I am leaning toward a Radian XT atm because it RF to 45 lbs, I like the side impact protection and steel frame, and I found one on sale online for $289. I would LOVE to find something cheaper than this because we don't actually have the money right now, but not if it means having to buy another one again later to RF longer.

Sorry this is SOOO long! I just don't want to spend $$$ on another seat that won't last DS. I would rather do the research and put out a bit more money now to know that we will have a seat that works well for us longterm. I would love to know if any of you knows of any sales on high weight limit carseats (RF to at least 40 lbs), especially Radian or Britax. Oh, and is it actually illegal to use an American carseat in Canada, or could I order one from the U.S. if I found a good deal?

Darn, I just realized the sale on that Radian XT is over tomorrow and I don't feel close to making a decision. :( Any help would be appreciated, please!

Thanks in advance!
Trina

ADS

delgirrrl

Hi Trina, I'm not in canada and not familiar with all of the seats you've listed, but I would expect most kids could use the Radian XT RF to 45 lbs, ie, it's unlikely to be outgrown. Leg room is probably the biggie, but ERF kids don't seem bothered by that :) The attached link goes to a thread showing my monster kids in a Radian XTSL rearfacing, including my son who is 50lbs.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=140120

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
In Canada we also have the Graco MyRide which RF to 40 lbs, and the new Britax line rf to 40lbs but it is not a realistic goal at all. You're right, the Radian Premiere and XT are the only seats that go above 40 lbs, they are 45lbs, the Radian 65 is 40lbs.

delgirrrl

oh, forgot to add, your asked about importing a US seat to use in Canada - no, it's not legal. But it seems that you have nearly all the same options available as in the US, albeit a couple have lower FF weight limits.

featherhead

Another note, right now the Evenflo Momentum does NOT rear-face to 40 lbs in Canada. It has a 30 lb rear-facing limit:(

If you can get a Radian to install well in your vehicle, that would be the seat I would go for:)

April

The Radian is the only seat in Canada that rear faces to 45lbs. The Radian has the highest top slots for forward facing I believe. It is probably the least easy to install, and takes up a lot of room front to back RF.

The MyRide has a shorter shell (ie outgrown by height rear facing earlier) and is very reclined FF (too reclined for some people's taste).

The Britax seats have similar shell height to the MyRide and the least leg room RF of all the seats you listed. They are easy to install in most vehicles but will last the least amount of time.

The Momentum does not RF to 40lbs.

The Complete Air has a tall shell, but does not fit babies well (in case you are planning to use this seat for future children) and FF to 50lbs only.

I don't think any seat out there is as easy to adjust the harness height as the True Fit is.

featherhead

The Radian is the only seat in Canada that rear faces to 45lbs. The Radian has the highest top slots for forward facing I believe. It is probably the least easy to install, and takes up a lot of room front to back RF.

The MyRide has a shorter shell (ie outgrown by height rear facing earlier) and is very reclined FF (too reclined for some people's taste).

The Britax seats have similar shell height to the MyRide and the least leg room RF of all the seats you listed. They are easy to install in most vehicles but will last the least amount of time.

The Complete Air has a tall shell, but does not fit babies well (in case you are planning to use this seat for future children) and FF to 50lbs only.

I don't think any seat out there is as easy to adjust the harness height as the True Fit is.

The Complete Air is pretty much as easy.

trinalb

Another note, right now the Evenflo Momentum does NOT rear-face to 40 lbs in Canada. It has a 30 lb rear-facing limit:(

If you can get a Radian to install well in your vehicle, that would be the seat I would go for:)

Thanks for your recommendation! As for the Evenflo Momentum, I was going based on the information on the ToysRUs.ca website. It claims here (under "features") that the Momentum can be used RF 5-40 lbs. Is this an error on their part, then?

What makes the Radians so difficult to install? Does it make them too much of a pain to move from one vehicle to another? How much room does it take for RF installation, exactly? Any idea how it compares to the True Fit?

Unless I misread delgirrrl's assessment, she says the Britax Multi-tech has more legroom than Radian. Is the MT quite a bit different from the other Britax seats, then?

Please see my note above about Evenflo Momentum at Toys 'R Us.

Do you know how the Complete Air compares to Britax and Radian seats in terms of safety and installation? I would be willing to consider a lower FF limit if it meant improved installation and other features. I saw it briefly in person recently and the shoulder strap heights were definitely easily adjustable like the True Fit. Do you know if it is steel reinforced at all? What makes it not fit babies well? This probably won't be an issue since we still have a Graco Snugride, but who knows what I will be thinking with the next kid! A year ago I thought the True Fit would do DS until he needed a booster, but that is out the window now! :doh:

The Complete Air is pretty much as easy.

oh, forgot to add, your asked about importing a US seat to use in Canada - no, it's not legal. But it seems that you have nearly all the same options available as in the US, albeit a couple have lower FF weight limits.

Hi Trina, I'm not in canada and not familiar with all of the seats you've listed, but I would expect most kids could use the Radian XT RF to 45 lbs, ie, it's unlikely to be outgrown. Leg room is probably the biggie, but ERF kids don't seem bothered by that :) The attached link goes to a thread showing my monster kids in a Radian XTSL rearfacing, including my son who is 50lbs.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=140120

Thanks for that link, it is great to see photos of seats actually in use! Your son's legs look completely pretzeled in those photos -- is he really not uncomfortable? What about during long trips? I would really like to RF DS as long as possible, but I am concerned he will start to complain about his legs being bent. This is especially a concern since DH is completely NOT on board with ERFing, and especially not with buying ANOTHER ERFing seat after buying the True Fit last year, and he keeps saying that DS will be uncomfortable and it will be a waste of money anyhow.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) could point me to info or photos on how the installation and legroom of the Radian XT compares to the True Fit, can you? I would love to have a better idea of whether or not DS will be more, less, or equally comfortable in the Radian and whether installation will be more difficult.

Also, about importing carseats... if it is illegal, how are you using a Britax Multi-Tech? Are the rules in the U.S. different than in Canada? Would I be allowed to use a Multi-Tech here?

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone! :thanx!:

finn

Also, about importing carseats... if it is illegal, how are you using a Britax Multi-Tech? Are the rules in the U.S. different than in Canada? Would I be allowed to use a Multi-Tech here?

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone! :thanx!:

Delgirrrl is in New Zealand, its legal to use the MT here :) We have both the MT and the Radian, ds prefers the radian, its in the middle (it doesn't fit anywhere else) he flips his legs out either side and seems pretty comfy. The sides of the MT are to high & it doesn't fit in the middle so he cant flip his legs out. He complains after being in the MT for 15 mins, but can last in the radian for about an hour (which is a major achievement lol)

featherhead

Yes, the toysrus.ca website is incorrect about the Evenflo Momentum and Triumph 65. They've apparently been contacted a few times, but haven't changed it yet. I'm quite upset about it, because I ordered the Triumph 65, thinking it would be perfect for one of my girls, but now I can't even use it cause it only rear-faces to 30 lbs.

jess71903

Ambassador
Ok, I'm not going into all the pros and cons listed above. I'll just give you my "this is what I would do" on your situation.

Since you already have a True Fit, I would get a Complete Air to RF to 40lbs, then when he hits that, you can have him forward facing in either seat. If he hits 50lbs before he outgrows them by height and you want him to stay harnessed, then you can use the True Fit for him since it harnesses to 65lbs.

delgirrrl

Unless I misread delgirrrl's assessment, she says the Britax Multi-tech has more legroom than Radian. Is the MT quite a bit different from the other Britax seats, then?

Thanks for that link, it is great to see photos of seats actually in use! Your son's legs look completely pretzeled in those photos -- is he really not uncomfortable? What about during long trips?

QUOTE]

Yes, the Multi-Tech is massively different from any of the Britax seats available in Canada/US/Australia etc. However, it's not legal to use in Canada (or US or Australia...). It is legal in New Zealand, where I live, although not available for sale there. It's a Swedish seat. To be honest, the legalities weren't a major issue to me, and I also have/had some seats that are not legal in NZ, but to my mind were the best way to keep my kids safe.

Re the legroom, I thought DS looked uncomfortable in the Radian, but he said he was comfy. He hasn't travelled in it though, as he's too heavy, and the pictures were just for comparison. However, he was always totally comfortable in the MT. Kids have a much wider band of comfort zones for legs than we do - for example, how many adults do you know who could happily squat down and draw a picture for 10 minutes?:)

trinalb

Delgirrrl is in New Zealand, its legal to use the MT here :) We have both the MT and the Radian, ds prefers the radian, its in the middle (it doesn't fit anywhere else) he flips his legs out either side and seems pretty comfy. The sides of the MT are to high & it doesn't fit in the middle so he cant flip his legs out. He complains after being in the MT for 15 mins, but can last in the radian for about an hour (which is a major achievement lol)

Yes, the Multi-Tech is massively different from any of the Britax seats available in Canada/US/Australia etc. However, it's not legal to use in Canada (or US or Australia...). It is legal in New Zealand, where I live, although not available for sale there. It's a Swedish seat. To be honest, the legalities weren't a major issue to me, and I also have/had some seats that are not legal in NZ, but to my mind were the best way to keep my kids safe.

Re the legroom, I thought DS looked uncomfortable in the Radian, but he said he was comfy. He hasn't travelled in it though, as he's too heavy, and the pictures were just for comparison. However, he was always totally comfortable in the MT. Kids have a much wider band of comfort zones for legs than we do - for example, how many adults do you know who could happily squat down and draw a picture for 10 minutes?:)

Ahh, I see. I sure wish we had more choices here in Canada! Although, more choices would probably just make my decision harder, haha. :) When I bought the TF, it was one of the only ERF seats available in Canada and I thought it would last DS a lot longer than it has. I wish the Radians (and others) had been available at the time so I could have just made one purchase instead of another now! Although, I probably couldn't have convinced DH we needed a seat to RF to 45 lbs at that time, since I'm having a hard enough time convincing him now.

Finn, why does your Radian only fit in the middle? Is it because it is so long front to back? Is it true that centre installation is safer anyway? Oh, and why do you say it is "a major achievement" for your DS to last an hour in the seat? Is it because he looks so uncomfortable or because he just hates to sit still or something?

Is RFing for extended periods just not possible for an older child? What do you do if you need to take a long trip?

jess71903

Ambassador
Is RFing for extended periods just not possible for an older child? What do you do if you need to take a long trip?

I think she was just saying that she doesn't have a very cooperative car rider. Just 2 weeks ago we traveled 7 hours (with some breaks) with my 3 year old RF in his Radian. Many kids say they are MORE comfortable RF because there is somewhere for them to rest their feet. My DS has never complained.

chay

My 4 year old is RF in a RadianXT in our main car and FF in our other. His legs do look a little pretzel like to me but he loves it and if you ask him which seat he prefers it's always the RF Radian. We use the Radian FF on the plane and funny enough he sits cross-legged even FF in it.

I don't know if we'll go all the way to 45lbs in it (he's currently 36lbs and about 41" so 45lbs is a bit of overkill for him) but I like that I don't have to worry about constantly weighing him once we're close to 40lbs. He has many inches above his head for growth.

As for long trips, we do 8-9 hour drives a few times a year and he is fine with it (or at least as fine as any 4 year old is in a car for that long). With a 2 year old sister, he's not usually our weakest link for stopping ;)

trinalb

As for long trips, we do 8-9 hour drives a few times a year and he is fine with it (or at least as fine as any 4 year old is in a car for that long). With a 2 year old sister, he's not usually our weakest link for stopping ;)

Just 2 weeks ago we traveled 7 hours (with some breaks) with my 3 year old RF in his Radian. Many kids say they are MORE comfortable RF because there is somewhere for them to rest their feet. My DS has never complained.

Well that's good to know! I am having a heck of a time convincing DH that we need to buy yet another carseat (and not a cheap one!) for DS. I do not want any reason for him to have an "I told you so" opportunity. He just doesn't seem to get the importance of ERF and thinks it isn't a big deal and isn't worth the money. :(

That reminds me, actually... does anyone have a really good link that has excellent evidence -- preferably in laymen's terms and preferably with photos -- why ERF is so important? Also something that shows why having snug buckles and install is so important. What I am saying just doesn't seem to be convincing him at all.

sparkyd

Here is a good summary of links to info on why rear-facing is safer:
http://carseatblog.com/?p=5168

I'm a car seat tech and even my DH only grudgingly goes along with my rear-facing wishes. When DS1 turned 3 this year DH finally broke his silence and started insisting that we turn him FF. He is in a True Fit in my car and was at the RF weight limit anyway, but he is in a Radian XT in our other car so he could still be RF in there. The seat is currently not in the car, but I'm supposed to be turning it FF when I put it back in. He is well past 3 so I am totally OK with that, but I mostly agreed to do it because I think DS will ask to be turned back RF anyway. I'm hoping that he'll consistently ask enough times that DH will have no choice but to concede that he actually prefers RFing and I'll turn him back around. He has already asked several times in my car, but I can't turn him back in the True Fit.

I also wanted to reiterate what other people have said about leg room when RF - most kids really don't mind sitting cross-legged or propping their feet up on the seat or whatever. My son still does all the same things with his legs now that he is sitting FF. Only now his feet are on MY seat and I have to keep telling him to take them off. My son has always been very comfortable in both the True Fit and the Radian. The Radian doesn't seem like it has lots of leg room, but those low sides give lots of options for leg positions.

I think you asked earlier about the Radian install and such; it really can be difficult in some vehicles; you really should try it before you buy it if you can. In our SUV it installs tighter with the seat belt than the UAS. The recline angle you get really depends on the vehicle as well; there isn't a whole lot you can do to try and get it more upright if it installs super reclined in your vehicle. And it does take up a lot of room front to back. If it installs well in the middle and can fit in between the two front seats, that is the way to go.

finn

Finn, why does your Radian only fit in the middle? Is it because it is so long front to back? Is it true that centre installation is safer anyway? Oh, and why do you say it is "a major achievement" for your DS to last an hour in the seat? Is it because he looks so uncomfortable or because he just hates to sit still or something?

I have a pretty small car (3 series bmw) it is too tall to fit anywhere else, in the middle it seems to install more upright & take up less room.

ds hates sitting still lol so its a major achievement to make it anywhere in the car, we normally stop every 45 mins to an hour. He can make it and hour in the Radian and recently made it and hour and a half so I think it must be comfy :) We recently took an overseas trip and I didnt want to take the boot with us so ds ff :( he wasn't as comfy and really didnt know what to do with his legs! He also saw less lol as he is used to having more time to see things (looking backwards) :) He ended up sleeping with his legs crossed and complaining about pins and needles.

trinalb

Here is a good summary of links to info on why rear-facing is safer:
http://carseatblog.com/?p=5168

I'm a car seat tech and even my DH only grudgingly goes along with my rear-facing wishes. When DS1 turned 3 this year DH finally broke his silence and started insisting that we turn him FF. He is in a True Fit in my car and was at the RF weight limit anyway, but he is in a Radian XT in our other car so he could still be RF in there. The seat is currently not in the car, but I'm supposed to be turning it FF when I put it back in. He is well past 3 so I am totally OK with that, but I mostly agreed to do it because I think DS will ask to be turned back RF anyway. I'm hoping that he'll consistently ask enough times that DH will have no choice but to concede that he actually prefers RFing and I'll turn him back around. He has already asked several times in my car, but I can't turn him back in the True Fit.

I also wanted to reiterate what other people have said about leg room when RF - most kids really don't mind sitting cross-legged or propping their feet up on the seat or whatever. My son still does all the same things with his legs now that he is sitting FF. Only now his feet are on MY seat and I have to keep telling him to take them off. My son has always been very comfortable in both the True Fit and the Radian. The Radian doesn't seem like it has lots of leg room, but those low sides give lots of options for leg positions.

I think you asked earlier about the Radian install and such; it really can be difficult in some vehicles; you really should try it before you buy it if you can. In our SUV it installs tighter with the seat belt than the UAS. The recline angle you get really depends on the vehicle as well; there isn't a whole lot you can do to try and get it more upright if it installs super reclined in your vehicle. And it does take up a lot of room front to back. If it installs well in the middle and can fit in between the two front seats, that is the way to go.

Thanks, that is an excellent site! I even posted it to my Facebook page. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I can't try the Radian before I buy it. The closest store that carries it is probably at least an 8 hour drive away. Nowhere around me carries any seats that RF past 35 lbs, which is why I'm doing so much research online and asking all these questions.

I have a pretty small car (3 series bmw) it is too tall to fit anywhere else, in the middle it seems to install more upright & take up less room.

ds hates sitting still lol so its a major achievement to make it anywhere in the car, we normally stop every 45 mins to an hour. He can make it and hour in the Radian and recently made it and hour and a half so I think it must be comfy :) We recently took an overseas trip and I didnt want to take the boot with us so ds ff :( he wasn't as comfy and really didnt know what to do with his legs! He also saw less lol as he is used to having more time to see things (looking backwards) :) He ended up sleeping with his legs crossed and complaining about pins and needles.

Isn't it funny that most people who don't want to ERF their children try to reason that the child will be more comfortable and better entertained FF, when the opposite seems to be true?

finn

Isn't it funny that most people who don't want to ERF their children try to reason that the child will be more comfortable and better entertained FF, when the opposite seems to be true?

yes it is funny, we were like "hey look a kangaroo" ds was like "where" & all we could say was "oh you missed it, if only you were facing backwards"!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC