Cold weather coming....

smackeen

Now that fall is sneaking up on us, and the dreaded winter will be coming, what is everyone using to keep their kids warm in convertible carseats?

I loved using the shower cap like ones with my infant seats, but that will not work anymore.

I was thinking something like this: http://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=6177&vid=1&pid=771648&scid=771648003

I do not think that would impede the fit of the straps.

If not that, what would you suggest? It gets quite cold here in the winter and I cannot always have the van running before going out and putting the boys in.

ADS

featherhead

Do you have a Superstore near you? They have wonderful double layer fleece jackets that I've used for my daughter for the past two years. They also have fleece snowsuits for up to 12 months, which are also really cozy and cheap! For my girls this year they will have their Superstore fleece jackets, but I'm also thinking of either buying or sewing fleece ponchos for overtop. Cause lets face it, a fleece jacket in -30 or -40C just ain't cutting it!

Mae

A fleece jacket, or just using the coat trick. You basically harness the kiddo up, then zip the jacket around them. I use the coat trick 99.999% of the time in the winter. The only time I don't use it is when the jacket fits without altering the harness tightness. You could also harness the kiddo up, then place the coat on them backwards, or you can put a blanket on them. There is also a member who makes Car Seat Ponchos. Her screen name is... well, CarSeatPoncho. ;)

Video of the coat trick:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLTVPqn0aR8"]YouTube- A safer way to wear a winter coat in a car seat[/ame]

featherhead

I do have a superstore around here. I never think to check there though. Oops...hehe

That's great! I think the fleece jackets are $16, maybe the snowsuits too. How old are your kids? They have the jackets in size 1-5, maybe the bigger sizes too, I've never checked.

Meg

Besides the fleece jackets that my kids wear, I keep a blanket for each kid in the car. They're just cheap, fleece blankets from Target, but they keep them warm and cozy when the car is cold.

smackeen

My oldest actually always takes his coat off before buckling (always has) and middle is about size 2 and youngest would be about 12-18 months.

I think I will go in there this week and see what they have.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
How about attatching some sticky-backed velcro to the plastic shell of the seat and the other part (the furry side) to a fleece or other blanket. Maybe that would help keep them from kicking it off (at least take a few extra minutes, enough for the car to warm up).

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I found a Columbia fleece jacket for DD at a local discount store for $18! :thumbsup: I also keep a little afghan in the car that she likes to cover her legs with. I was going to make her a poncho until I found such a good deal on the jacket.

Mommy2Marcus

I put him in a long sleeve shirt with a fleece jacket over the top. I then make sure to keep a blanket in the car. It is generally one of our fleece ones. I get him buckled up & then he covers up with the blanket. This way he can throw it off when he gets to hot for it.

jheimes

I use the car seat ponchos for my kids. I have purchased them in both sizes and been very happy with them. They are double thick polar fleece and when it is really cold I put a fleece jacket on the kids underneath of it or a fleece snow suit (not the puffy ones). I don't heat the van up before travel.

jjordan

I generally put their coats on backwards and keep blankets in the car, because I'm too lazy to do anything more. :) I pay the price for my laziness when they argue about who gets what blanket.

canadiangie

Posting from my phone.

That ON one is what I bought this baby. I feel it's thin enuf to be safe providing you spend the time to tighten the harness. I don't do the coat trick or any other 'trick' when it comes to outer wear. A) it's too cold here when it's really cold, and B) I firmly believe that thin and safe outer wear exists. Thin warm layers and a snug harness is good. Just my .02 cents.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC