Question Is this safe (pic of infant in bucket seat)?

ADS

Cryssy Jane

the blankets are a no no but also those harness covers holy cow. If this child is in the US, there needs to be a chest clip on the seat that I don't see in that pictures as well. Also the snuzzler thing that's behind the baby is also an after market product and isn't allowed.

coleslawcat

I'm pretty sure it's a Keyfit based on the buckle. I just don't understand why people would take out the excellent infant supports that come with the Keyfit for all of those random aftermarket ones anyway, even if they didn't understand the safety concerns. And yeah, what happened to the chest clip?

Dillipop

Holy crap! That baby is going to fly out in the event of a collision. Those straps are only holding all the extra crap in place and not the baby.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Oh boy, I think that's one of the worst I've seen! The blanket needs to go OVER the buckled baby! Yikes! Also I noticed the aftermarket product underneath her as well. And those harness covers? If you need to remove a piece that came ON the carseat shouldn't that be a hint not to use it. I hope you can find a way to nicely point out these mistakes and that she takes the advice.

Coastalmama

Well to be honest I don't even know where to start, besides looking like baby would fly out in a collision. What would you guys say and what points would you point out and how would you word it to not alienate her/make her feel like crap? It's already a tricky situation as she's just given birth to her baby and is going to give the baby to her brother and sister-in-law, so I don't want to make it sound like I'm jumping her as I bet her emotions are high right now.

Athena

:eek:

Others have already made good points, but one other thing that I don't understand is why in this heat (although I don't know where they are so maybe I'm wrong about that) that baby would be bundled so much. That itself can be dangerous and risk factor for SIDS. Or is there a special medical situation about which I don't know? I wish I had some good advice on how to approach it. Maybe use the, "I just learned all this great stuff and wanted to share" approach. Approach it like you made some mistakes early on too? Let's face it, we all have.

Coastalmama

:eek:

Others have already made good points, but one other thing that I don't understand is why in this heat (although I don't know where they are so maybe I'm wrong about that) that baby would be bundled so much. That itself can be dangerous and risk factor for SIDS. Or is there a special medical situation about which I don't know? I wish I had some good advice on how to approach it. Maybe use the, "I just learned all this great stuff and wanted to share" approach. Approach it like you made some mistakes early on too? Let's face it, we all have.

They are in Alaska :)

I'm trying to figure out a tactful way to put it right now :/

Jennifer mom to my 7

How about, great job in using the rolled recieving blankets to get baby nice and snug in his seat:thumbsup: But, you know, I have done tons of research lately and learned that the blankets need to be outside of the harness. Did your seat come with an infant insert? I learned that many seats do nowadays. Anyway, I learned that you buckle baby nice and snug first, and then add the blankets on their sides after they are buckled. I could send you some of the sites I found that have all this info that I never knew. He is just soooo cute:love:

Mae

Maybe start off by saying that you'd be worried that she (he?) can't breathe. From the looks of the picture (I can see a wee bit of the lips) the baby could very well have breathing problems. His face is buried in those strap covers. So maybe something like this.

"Hey XYZ. I saw your picture of Baby, she is so cute! I hope you are both doing well. I couldn't help but notice that Baby's face is pretty buried in those covers and it makes me nervous. I know that ABC had that same car seat and it came with strap covers, so you shouldn't have to use those, and then her face wouldn't be covered by all the fluff. If you follow this link (http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1327160&postcount=2) you can see a good picture of the covers that I'm talking about, and you can also see that there is some infant padding. If you've lost the infant padding, no worries, you can just roll up blankets on the side, like in this picture (http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1386594&postcount=59). Those pictures also shows a good visual of how tight the harness should be, and where the plastic clip should be (always in line with the armpits). I remember when I had my baby (or met friend's baby, if you don't have kids) and I was so nervous about the whole car-seat thing, so I looked into some things. He is just so so so cute! "

Disclaimer: Those pictures are in a public part of car-seat.org, so the OP would not be out of line to link her friend to them.

Maybe then direct her to this site, but if you do, I'd recommend moving this thread (before you direct her here!) so that she doesn't see this and be embarrassed/offended. :twocents:

This is a tough situation though, so be careful with how you word things.

arly1983

Oh, and that infant insert that is in there is called a snuzzler and its great for bouncy seats, swings, and strollers(I have one for this purpose) so they can still use it, just not in the carseat.

Same goes for the strap covers, use them on the stroller.

babyherder

You said she's giving her baby to her brother and SIL. Do you mean the brother and SIL are adopting the baby? If so, could you talk to them? Maybe send them some links about car seat safety. Tell them you send this information to all your family and friends when they have a baby so you wanted to send it to them too since it is (or was, however they prefer to think about it) your friend's child.

Or maybe say something to your friend about how adorable her baby is and how her picture made you think of trying to get your infant into a carseat and how difficult/confusing it was. Then say that someone sent you some info when you child was an infant and it made the car seat thing so much easier so you want to pass on this info. Then add a good link.

monstah

Depending on why the baby is going to her brother... I wouldn't say anything. I really wouldn't. I would consider messaging the brother or SIL in a few weeks if you are "friends" on Facebook.

People sometimes get really upset when confronted with car seat misuse. Since she just had a baby and is giving it away, I can't even imagine the emotional turmoil she is in. It may not be the popular opinion on this board, but I wouldn't say anything.

If she is still posting pictures in 6-8 weeks that look like that, then I would send a message.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC