Mazda5 2011 info to share

cookie123

At the fair today the dealer told me there was going to be no 2011 model year Mazda 5. The 2012 will likely be out in September of 2011. He said they don't
know anything about it yet at all, but it will be all redesigned. I said something about seeing it on the internet, but he ignored that info.

Just thought I'd share.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Not very common IME but not entirely unheard of, although this is the first inkling I've heard of it specifically for the Mazda5 model in the U.S. Toyota/Scion had a gap in model years for the Scion xB in the U.S. when it was redesigned. First gen. xBs were last produced for the 2006 model year and the redesigned 2008 xB model wasn't released until the spring/summer of 2007 in the U.S.

Dillipop

My parents went to look at the Mazda 5 yesterday and was told the same thing. They'll continue making the 2010 models for the next couple months, stop, and start the 2012 model next Summer/Fall. The salesman said the price will be higher on the new model.

There is a 2011 in Europe that's been redesigned with more cargo room, so I am hoping that is what will be coming here.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Nice- that's about when I'm hoping to replace my Odyssey. If they have a hybrid, I am DOWN.

I've heard the usual excuses for hybrids in minivans. Too costly for families. Not enough improvement in fuel economy for such a heavy vehicle. I call BS. The full size GM SUVs have a modest hybrid system. Yeah, the fuel economy isn't great, but on a percentage basis compared to the non-hybrid models it isn't bad. I think plenty of families would shell out the extra for a hybrid minivan, provided it wasn't only an option on the most expensive trim package.

In the case of the Mazda 5, it isn't all that much heavier than the Tribute that uses the Ford hybrid system. So, it is possible if you give up a little space. I suspect giving up the space is the main reason we haven't seen this in minivans. No one wants to lose convenience in their marketing.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/2011_mazda_5-official_photos_and_info

2011_mazda_5_show_floor_10_cd_gallery.jpg

littleangelfire

It's neat that they're going to redo some things, however, I must say that with how difficult it can already be to locate a Mazda5 - seems this will make it even moreso. I envision prices shooting up on the 2010s and the used previous models b/c the supply will be even worse. That stinks. I'm hoping to replace my car in the next 6-12 months and was seriously considering the Mazda5.

ETA: seriously considering, though it still rankles me that I can not get a Mazda5 with 2 desired features: 5 speed manual shift and a moonroof. Apparently you can have one or the other, not both. boo.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Dang no hint of a hybrid. The Highlander has respectable city MPG but the highway numbers are no better than minivans:-( They need some aerodynamics on it I guess.

Dillipop

My dad said the engine will stay a 4 cylinder but go up to a 2.5 or something like that on the new version. I don't think we'll be seeing a hybrid on any minivans in the near future, unfortunately.

ETA- my mom was impressed that in a frontal collision, the engine is designed to drop to the ground instead of being pushed into the passenger compartment. (Not sure how true that is, she likes to "make" things up that she thinks is true, but she just barely heard.)

luckyclov

I remember reading somewhere power sliding doors would be an option. Are they available on the '10 5 or are they waiting for the all-new 2012?

I really miss my 5 somtimes. *sniffle*

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, it's a seven seater, and the stock picture has tinted windows. I'm sold. Might hold out till 2012 to make sure they get the bugs out, though. <runs off to roll pennies to put in the car fund...>

Dillipop

The link above states 6 seater still. It also says that power sliding doors will come to Europe but not the states, due to weight or something.

ETA: seriously considering, though it still rankles me that I can not get a Mazda5 with 2 desired features: 5 speed manual shift and a moonroof. Apparently you can have one or the other, not both. boo.

Can you special order?

ETA- my mom was impressed that in a frontal collision, the engine is designed to drop to the ground instead of being pushed into the passenger compartment. (Not sure how true that is, she likes to "make" things up that she thinks is true, but she just barely heard.)

I believe a lot of cars do that now. Might be standard operating procedure nowadays to help the passenger cage maintain its structure.

littleangelfire

Can you special order?

It would appear not. Even though I absolutely can not afford a brand new Mazda5, I checked out their website a few times and made like I was going to order a new one. If you pick the trim level that has a manual transmission, it doesn't have the moonroof. If you pick the trim level that has the moonroof, you lose the option for a standard shift. :mad: I'm not a fan of aftermarket sunroof/moonroof additions. Granted, it won't absolutely make or break my decision, but I really looooooooooove my moon roof and would hate to give it up.

crawford

It would appear not. Even though I absolutely can not afford a brand new Mazda5, I checked out their website a few times and made like I was going to order a new one. If you pick the trim level that has a manual transmission, it doesn't have the moonroof. If you pick the trim level that has the moonroof, you lose the option for a standard shift. :mad: I'm not a fan of aftermarket sunroof/moonroof additions. Granted, it won't absolutely make or break my decision, but I really looooooooooove my moon roof and would hate to give it up.

Import a used one from Canada.

Special orders won't show up on a website. You have to specifically go to a dealer and ask to special order. Each one will give you a different answer (if it's allowed), primarily in how much of a deposit they want in order to special order. Sometimes the deposit will be refundable, sometimes not. Kinda depends on whether they think they can sell that special order or not.

I know people who have special ordered Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, and Toyota. None of them had special order options available on website. And I'm not counting what some manufacturers call "special order" options like Mercedes' Designo packages or certain BMW options or the Toyota Access Seat on the Sienna. I'm talking funky option combos like your manual + moonroof. The Germans make special ordering easy and most of their dealers don't bat an eye. Toyota/Lexus is a little more funky cuz I guess it's more rare, but in the West Coast, Toyota has some VERY limited option offerings, like they're trying to copy Honda's one size fits all plan, but it's not as well thought out so it doesn't fit as many people as it could.

I'd try that before trying to import from Canada.

littleangelfire

I've talked to a couple dealers so far and they say I'll have to special order just to get a manual shift. hmph. I'm just not used to having such issues finding a car with the options I want. You can buy a Honda pretty much any which way you want it, IME, though sometimes it can take a little time to find what you want.

chay

Cars are generally cheaper in the U.S. than in Canada (especially when our dollar is good) so many people import from the U.S. up here. So many that there is tonnes of info on Transport Canada websites about exactly what you need to do for a specific car. Going the other way the 2008's don't need any modifications to come up here, the 2009's+ have a big note about electronic immobilization systems.

I did a quick google search to find the equivalent info for going from Canada to the U.S. but didn't come up with anything obvious. I suspect it would work out to be expensive unless our dollar is really low. My SIL moved to the States and took her car and had to have a bunch of things changed (the big one I remember was that her daylight running lights had to be disabled) but that was 10+ years ago.

All that being said MT are more common up here and there are a zillion Mazda5's driving around - they are super popular. There are 6 Mazda5's on my street alone (and I know 2 of them are MT and have moon roofs - mine and a friend's).

Hope your special order request is possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC