Getting Tech Training in Calgary

ladybug_mom

I have a member on another site I moderate at that is interested in becoming a tech. Could someone sned me some contact info for her. She's tried SJA with no luck.

Thanks!

Cara

ADS

canadiangie

I have a member on another site I moderate at that is interested in becoming a tech. Could someone sned me some contact info for her. She's tried SJA with no luck.

Thanks!

Cara

It used to be Ashleigh Squirrel at SJA here in Calgary, but to my knowledge she is on leave right now. I suppose calling the SJA branch and asking for whoever is filling Ashleigh's position would be a start. Sorry I'm not more help. :(

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If you'd be willing to travel to Edmonton for a course at some point you're welcome to email me - mommy0406 AT gmail DOT com

I don't have an approximate date, but need to run one before February in order to be eligible to renew my instructor status come 2012, and would prefer to do it in the fall before it gets too cold.

So if you're interested, feel free to email me and I'll put your name in my word document of people to contact. :thumbsup:

QuassEE

We also have interest in the interior of BC, so that may be a second option depending on how things go. I'm in the same position as Trudy and need to teach another class. Hopefully if we do arrange one in the interior we can do it together and be set :)

-Nicole.

geekKT

How often do you ladies run courses? I'd possibly be interested but am not sure I could do a course until DS is a little older.

QuassEE

We need to do two a year. Technically, if you count my training, I've done two and assisted in 1 in the last 1.5 years. My hands are sort of tied as far as what I can do here in BC. I funded our first BC course out of pocket, just to get some good techs out there, but I don't think our new house/financial situation will really lend itself to doing that again. Although a lot of people express interest in the training, I think most fail to recognize the expenses associated with running the course. It's difficult for me to ask people to cough up money for a course that people will be under-appreciated and generally not paid, too.

I know that the situation in Edmonton tends to be better than here in Vancouver--more money, more young families, more desire to keep kids safe/more support. If Trudy runs a course and it's convenient for me, I would hope she would invite me to join in :) Trudy is one of those truly amazing and highly intelligent people in this world, and I find myself constantly learning from her. She's such a pleasure to teach with, and I think we balance each other off so well that it would be fun to do another class together. I guess we'll see..

(I'm also in university full-time doing a third degree Sept-July!)

-Nicole.

melissainbc

I know of at least 3 people who are interested in doing the course in the Kamloops area! And we all realize that there will be a cost involved :)

Melissa

canadiangie

If you'd be willing to travel to Edmonton for a course at some point you're welcome to email me - mommy0406 AT gmail DOT com

I don't have an approximate date, but need to run one before February in order to be eligible to renew my instructor status come 2012, and would prefer to do it in the fall before it gets too cold.

So if you're interested, feel free to email me and I'll put your name in my word document of people to contact. :thumbsup:

Can you please contact me as soon as you finalize a date. I also have a friend who is intersted in taking the course. To my knowledge Toni is good for quite some time yet, so it would be just me and my friend making the trip. p.s. Boy what I wouldn't give for you to schedule this before say early October. :whistle:

snowbird25ca

We need to do two a year. Technically, if you count my training, I've done two and assisted in 1 in the last 1.5 years. My hands are sort of tied as far as what I can do here in BC. I funded our first BC course out of pocket, just to get some good techs out there, but I don't think our new house/financial situation will really lend itself to doing that again. Although a lot of people express interest in the training, I think most fail to recognize the expenses associated with running the course. It's difficult for me to ask people to cough up money for a course that people will be under-appreciated and generally not paid, too.

I know that the situation in Edmonton tends to be better than here in Vancouver--more money, more young families, more desire to keep kids safe/more support. If Trudy runs a course and it's convenient for me, I would hope she would invite me to join in :) Trudy is one of those truly amazing and highly intelligent people in this world, and I find myself constantly learning from her. She's such a pleasure to teach with, and I think we balance each other off so well that it would be fun to do another class together. I guess we'll see..

(I'm also in university full-time doing a third degree Sept-July!)

-Nicole.

Nicole, I just have to thank you for your kind words. And sure, I'll invite you. :love:

Angie - I'd originally been hoping for Sept. School starts on Weds, so things will even out more around here then. I'll start organizing myself to see what I can find about location. Seems like there's enough definite interest to fill a course. I was close to it before and banking on being able to get a few extras, but the location I had wanted fell through before things could be set in motion. I have a new lead this time thanks to Shauburg though, so here's to hoping that location is ok. :thumbsup:

selinajean

I know of at least 3 people who are interested in doing the course in the Kamloops area! And we all realize that there will be a cost involved :)

Melissa

I'm trying to bribe Nicole to come here and bring Trudy with her. Maybe we can hold the course on a houseboat? :whistle:

Melissa, does your 3 involve me...or is that 3 in Kamloops alone? I have 3 here including myself and that is without even asking local ICBC staff, the owner of the boutique that sells SK here, etc.

melissainbc

Selina, that 3 includes myself, Jenn H and Elizabeth d. :) And Jenn knows of a couple more people that would most likely want to do the course. She said after the BCAA course that the NS Policing Office was willing to lend out their space again, too!

snowbird25ca

So you guys have a full 6 people between the 2 of you and a location? And you figure there might be other people that would be interested in the course there? What area are you guys in? With a ready location, if we could fill with 12 people, then it might be doable even with the extra travel (any clue the time distance you are from Edmonton and Vancouver?) Of course with Nicole and I having to travel a significant distance, it would raise the cost of the course a little. (And I'm being premature in thinking about this without talking to Nicole first... just thinking out loud right now.)

Of course if you guys are able to travel to Edmonton, then that would basically make the course full between you guys and the people I have on my list, and it would mean the only travel cost would be Nicole's if she was able to make it around school...

melissainbc

Ok, so I'm just quickly talking to my friend who organized the BCAA course we did in Kamloops here in June, and she figures we have at least 8-9 people in Kamloops alone who would do the course. We got to use a Community Policing Office for our BCAA course because an Auxiliary Officer took the course with us. I bet we could use it again at no cost if she wanted to do this course as well.

We are about 4 hours from Vancouver and 8 from Edmonton.

I'll keep you posted for sure!

selinajean

I was hoping to fill a course here (Salmon Arm) just b/c I can't travel to Kamloops every day for a course and staying over mid-week isn't an option with James in school. (Unless it is the first few days of October when D will be home....or about 5 weeks later than that in November when he will be home again. lol) If it was a weekend though I could easily commit to that.

QuassEE

I have a week-long reading break in February, and have no problem doing it then (or close to Christmas) as long as somebody can organize the details. In another city, I just can't deal with organizing a classroom or clinic while I'm also in school. But yeah, I'm game.. Have knowledge, will travel.

-Nicole.

selinajean

I have a week-long reading break in February, and have no problem doing it then (or close to Christmas) as long as somebody can organize the details. In another city, I just can't deal with organizing a classroom or clinic while I'm also in school. But yeah, I'm game.. Have knowledge, will travel.

-Nicole.

With that much notice I can probably arrange to have D home that week so that I can go to FruitLoops for a couple of days. ;)

QuassEE

My reading break is Feb 14-18, 2011, so I have that plus the weekends on either side. One interesting thing about this opportunity is that if the vast majority of people in the class have taken the BCTSF training, and anyone who hasn't is also coming in with a basic level of knowledge.. Trudy and I are able to step it up a little, and cover the basic curriculum faster then move forward into topics of interest to the group. We were able to do this in our Vancouver class last year and I think it worked out really well.

-Nicole.

M

Mom2TwoBoys

First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded and especially to Ladybug Mom for posting it...as I am the other poster from the other site. I am definitely interested but travelling to Edmonton is a little difficult right now as I have a 3 month old at home who is very dependent on mommy...but maybe in the spring next year.

Just for budget sake/time planning etc how much is the course to take and how long does it take to complete?

Again, thank you very much!

Danica
Mom to ds1 (4yrs) & ff in Radian 65 and ds2 (3mths) rf in Peg Perego SIP

amelia222

My reading break is Feb 14-18, 2011, so I have that plus the weekends on either side. One interesting thing about this opportunity is that if the vast majority of people in the class have taken the BCTSF training, and anyone who hasn't is also coming in with a basic level of knowledge.. Trudy and I are able to step it up a little, and cover the basic curriculum faster then move forward into topics of interest to the group. We were able to do this in our Vancouver class last year and I think it worked out really well.

-Nicole.

I just checked, and my reading break is the same week. I don't know if I could afford to go to Edmonton or Kamloops on such short notice, and I'd only have the weekend open because of school.

The owner of the local baby boutique here might be interested too. She has started carrying radians and has me doing seat checks every month or two. I'll talk to her and let you know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC