Flying soon, take base for infant seat?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We're flying to visit my inlaws soon in AZ. We bought a seat for DD1, and she will be in her Marathon on the plane. We will also take DD2's infant seat, although it will be gate-checked since we didn't buy her a seat. Do I need to take the base with me to install in IL's car? My manual says the carseat can be installed w/out the base, but how hard/safe would that be?

The seats will be installed in a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe.
The infant seat is a Combi Tyro II.

TIA!

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you know how to install it without the base, then it's perfectly safe and fine. However, I would bring it, but put it in the overhead. I would also definitely bring her seat to the gate and ask if there's an empty seat you can install her carseat in. If there is one they'll usually allow you to bring the carseat on board and use it. I would highly recommend that, since it's SO much safer for a child to be in a carseat during flight. Not to mention the extra room is fantastic.

Wendy

Jewels

Senior Community Member
If you know how to install it without the base, then it's perfectly safe and fine. However, I would bring it, but put it in the overhead. I would also definitely bring her seat to the gate and ask if there's an empty seat you can install her carseat in. If there is one they'll usually allow you to bring the carseat on board and use it. I would highly recommend that, since it's SO much safer for a child to be in a carseat during flight. Not to mention the extra room is fantastic.

Wendy

Yes I agree but just wanted to suggest that you ask when you check in if there are any extra seats. I have found they didn't ask me if I wanted a seat for my son but if I asked about if there were any extra's then they were happy to asign one to him.

Loves2sing

When I took my DD at 6 months to Hawaii, I didn't bring the base, even though we rented a car out there. I would check first at home to see how easy of a out of base install is. If it is hard, bring the base, if it is as easy as a Snugride, leave it at home, because the less the luggage you take, the less stressful travel will be. Believe I know. I just got back from a vacation with 3 kids under 2. They are enough to handle without worrying about the base of the seats too! Good luck, and have an awesome trip!!:)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thanks! I will definitely ask if there are any extra seats for her carseat. My inlaws actually bought the tickets, and it was like pulling teeth to convince them that DD1 had her own seat. We actually had to tell them that we were not coming unless they bought her a seat, because I am NOT going to fly 3 hours with 2 kids on our laps.

And I will try out installing it without the base before we go ;) I'm already trying to figure out how we're going to manage with 2 carseats, a diaper bag and 2 kids. Thankfully DH will be there to help!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks! I will definitely ask if there are any extra seats for her carseat. My inlaws actually bought the tickets, and it was like pulling teeth to convince them that DD1 had her own seat. We actually had to tell them that we were not coming unless they bought her a seat, because I am NOT going to fly 3 hours with 2 kids on our laps.

And I will try out installing it without the base before we go ;) I'm already trying to figure out how we're going to manage with 2 carseats, a diaper bag and 2 kids. Thankfully DH will be there to help!

Not to mention two lap babies can't be in the same row. There are extra oxygen masks on one side of the plane normally, I think every other row on some flights. So you can't have two extra people in one row, not enough oxygen masks, just in case. So the four of you would have been separated.

One Marathon, an infant seat, a diaper bag, and two kids? I'd put the younger baby in a sling with the diaper bag on that person. Get a luggage trolley or gogo kidz and put the Marathon on that, then the older child in the Marathon. Then someone just has to carry the infant seat. Or attach the infant seat somehow to the luggage trolley (bungie cords wrapped around the Marathon and infant seat) put DD 1 in a backpack or stroller, DD 2 in the sling, diaper bag with the one pushing the luggage trolley.

Wendy

Niea

I'd practice installing your seat without the base so that you're confident that you can do it easily and correctly when you get to the destination. Then leave the base at home.

But the practice is the key -- if it's time for your trip and you're not sure you can get it installed correctly without the base, then by all means bring it with you.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Not to mention two lap babies can't be in the same row. There are extra oxygen masks on one side of the plane normally, I think every other row on some flights. So you can't have two extra people in one row, not enough oxygen masks, just in case. So the four of you would ave been separated.

One Marathon, an infant seat, a diaper bag, and two kids? I'd put the younger baby in a sling with the diaper bag on that person. Get a luggage trolley or gogo kidz and put the Marathon on that, then the older child in the Marathon. Then someone just has to carry the infant seat. Or attach the infant seat somehow to the luggage trolley (bungie cords wrapped around the Marathon and infant seat) put DD 1 in a backpack or stroller, DD 2 in the sling, diaper bag with the one pushing the luggage trolley.

Wendy
Thanks for the info about the oxygen masks! I didn't know that (although FIL should, since he's a flight attendant!).

And that was our plan, we'll sling the baby of course & we have a luggage cart thingy that the MA bungees nicely to. DD1 can walk, ride in the MA or DH will wear her in the wrap. Then we're taking the stroller, putting the infant seat in that, with the diaper bag piled on top & the base to the seat if we decide to take it. I love how we have a stroller, but it's only used to carry the baby paraphernalia!

mdsvc89

When you install an infant seat w/o a base, the seatbelt goes OVER where the baby sits -- so you generally have to install the seat each and every time you take the baby out of the car. This seems like alot of trouble to me, and if you could swing it, either bring the base, or ask the grandparents to buy one for you to use locally.

-Michelle

tech_raechel

Senior Community Member
One word of caution, though. A friend of mine has a combi infant seat (I'm about 90% sure it's the Tyro). When she recently traveled with it, she left the base home. Unfortunately, she found that she couldn't get a good baseless install in the particular vehicle at their destination. So, unless you could check that, I'd probably try to bring the base, just in case.

broken4u05

I didnt know that about the oxygen. Good to know. The boys i take care of are going on a trip in July (i am not going) and they both will be lap babies. They will be 18 months than. Last year they had one seat and held one but they don't want to do that again. I will let them know about the oxygen thing

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
One word of caution, though. A friend of mine has a combi infant seat (I'm about 90% sure it's the Tyro). When she recently traveled with it, she left the base home. Unfortunately, she found that she couldn't get a good baseless install in the particular vehicle at their destination. So, unless you could check that, I'd probably try to bring the base, just in case.

I think we'll take it. Between the possibility of not getting a good install, and the fact that we would have to uninstall to get the baby in & out, it seems like a lot less hassle to just take the base!

Thanks for the input all!!

cryswilkins

I have a Combi Centre and have had no problems installing without the base in any car that I have tried it in. I can actually get a better install without in some cars. Hope that helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC