Bittersweet: Parents die in car crash in Calgary--RF infant survives

ADS

dragonfly8

What a devastating thing to happen. I feel very sad for this family, especially the little baby that has to grow up without knowing her mom and dad. It makes me very happy though, that these parents protected her by safely and properly having her in her car seat. It did it's job.

This is very tragic.

selinajean

That is so sad. It sounds like the grandparents are close and are able to continue loving and caring for the baby. Thank goodness that she will have a support network as she grows.

Shanora

had a mild panic attack, the last name is VERY close to a friends last name. Thankful the baby is alive...but so sad about the parents

Mingie

CPST Instructor
That is so heart breaking!:crying: That poor baby losing her parents. But I am thankful they had her safely in her car seat.

canadiangie

It was reported today that Ysa will be cared for by her Aunt and Uncle. I have no idea if her parents had a Will, but I was so grateful to hear that things seem to be sorted out in terms of custody, at least for now.

canadiangie

The story today: http://tinyurl.com/362hu84
... reports that the baby has some head injuries :(

I hope she recovers quickly. Such a tragedy to lose such a young couple.

Melissa

I understand that head injuries are the most common type of injury for rear facing kids. It tends to stem from ramping up the back of the car seat and striking their head on something... either a vehicle seatback, or other hard surface. This is why we stress the importance of a harness at or below the child's shoulders, a snug harness, having at least 1 inch of seat shell above the head, not using any aftermarket products that might interfere with the harness (such as Bundle Me's and head huggers, etc), having the handle of an infant seat in whatever position the manufacturer recommends (in the case of the SR22 not rotated back above the baby's head -- position C is a no-no, just as an example), and of course having the seat installed correctly to begin with.

I can think of another recent case of a young baby involved in a collision near Airdrie who suffered head injuries. No idea on the details, but I assumed the head injuries were from ramping up the seat.

Infant seats offer an especially short shell if you think about it, which makes any ramping even more scary...

All that said, Ysa's injuries may have nothing to do with ramping. Mostly as usual I'm taking this opportunity to get more info about CPS out there.

goodliffj

Such a tragic story:(

I understand that head injuries are the most common type of injury for rear facing kids. It tends to stem from ramping up the back of the car seat and striking their head on something... either a vehicle seatback, or other hard surface. This is why we stress the importance of a harness at or below the child's shoulders, a snug harness, having at least 1 inch of seat shell above the head, not using any aftermarket products that might interfere with the harness (such as Bundle Me's and head huggers, etc), having the handle of an infant seat in whatever position the manufacturer recommends (in the case of the SR22 not rotated back above the baby's head -- position C is a no-no, just as an example), and of course having the seat installed correctly to begin with.

I can think of another recent case of a young baby involved in a collision near Airdrie who suffered head injuries. No idea on the details, but I assumed the head injuries were from ramping up the seat.

Infant seats offer an especially short shell if you think about it, which makes any ramping even more scary...

All that said, Ysa's injuries may have nothing to do with ramping. Mostly as usual I'm taking this opportunity to get more info about CPS out there.

Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Angie - what's the speed limit in that section of highway? That last posted article mentioned that the mom was in the backseat with baby.

You know, I think this baby girl is one amazingly lucky girl. A collision that killed an adult occupant in the backseat, along with the driver - and then severely injured the other driver in the truck? And factor in the speed of the road and head-on collision? That's a lot of force. You start talking that kind of force and you start facing really significant downward rotation and rebound - above and beyond what the standards require.

This little girl might have survived what would've otherwise been an unsurvivable collision thanks to her seat and the way her parents were using it.

I'm glad to know she has such a loving family member to care for her and that she will always have great memories of her parents to be shared with her.

tiggercat

I kind of wonder if maybe mom was nursing her in the back seat (and therefore out of position and less protected by her seatbelt), or there was contact between mom/baby/CRS upon impact?

I'm kind of weirded out by the 2nd article where the aunt is talking about feeling like the baby is already hers. It is great that they are there to love and raise Ysa, but it just sounds odd. Maybe just the phaseology.

QuassEE

I'm kind of weirded out by the 2nd article where the aunt is talking about feeling like the baby is already hers. It is great that they are there to love and raise Ysa, but it just sounds odd. Maybe just the phaseology.

Normally that would weird me out, too, but the Mormon population on the west coast is uhhh... passionate? :)

-N.

snowbird25ca

I kind of wonder if maybe mom was nursing her in the back seat (and therefore out of position and less protected by her seatbelt), or there was contact between mom/baby/CRS upon impact?

That is certainly a possibility. The other thing that I just remembered, and that could certainly be an issue in a case like this, is a study I read a number of years ago. It talked about downward rotation, and the risks in it - specifically head injuries. The basic gist was that seats rotate downward, and then are often stopped suddenly by something like a vehicle seat and the child's head essentially then impacts the shell of the car seat. There were 2 main recommendations out of the collisions discussed - energy absorbing foam in the head area (which most seats have now,) and a method to limit downward rotation such as a foot prop or Australian tethering. High speed collision would have meant much more force as the seat rotated down, and depending on where the seat was installed and the position of the front seats, it's possible the rotation could have been stopped fairly early on in the sequence before most of the energy was dispersed - which would've meant baby's head hitting the shell with pretty potent force.

We'll likely never know exactly what happened, I'm just glad baby has come out of it ok. I don't find the way the sister talks to be strange - if it were my kids, I would want their guardian to see them as one of their own kids. I know I'd love any child I took in to my home as my own regardless of circumstance. :shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC